Flying visit to the toon

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In newcastle (fairly central) with wifey and without kids from later today until Tuesday pm. Can look online but nowt like personal suggestions...

I did look in the North East greasy spoon thread and another about restaurants but those mentioned in the toon have closed.

So, any recommendations for cafe breakfast, culture/sights, decent (but not pretentious) grub spots?

Any local delicacies as well as stottie?

Best chippy?

Cannybagachooda!

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

One of the better breakfasts (be prepared to queue) is at The Butterfly Cabinet in Heaton. About 2 miles from the city centre. Regularly highly praised

Try a propper greasy spoon .on Westgate Hill for breakfast .magdas cafe. It's called salt and pepper .green frontage just up from m&s motorcycles .it's cheep as chips.and a realy good breakfast .

If you're not too late today, head down to the Quayside for the "traditional" Sunday market (officially finishes at 4pm), then go a little bit further east until you get to Ouseburn. The Free Trade Inn is probably the best pub in Newcastle/England/world, grab a beer or coffee and enjoy the view up the river.

Once you're in Ouseburn, wander around and soak up the 'vibe', lots of independent places for food, including:
  • Kiln do a great brunch (we treated ourselves on our way back from Czechia a couple of weeks ago)
  • Brinkburn Street Brewery do great food, I think Sunday lunches too
  • Cluny (pub and music venue) also has good food
Slightly further out, Hoult's Yard has Full Circle Brew (beer and pizza), Proven Goods (doughnuts!), 2kniveskitchen (grill).

More culture on the south side of the river: Baltic Centre for Contempary Art and Sage Gateshead (music centre), or if you want more food and drink then there's By The River which also has a street food market.

If you want more culture in the town centre, there's Laing Art Gallery, Great North Museum and Discovery Museum. Good food options are Fat Hippo, Meat:Stack, Super Natural. Decent/quirky pubs include Mean Eyed Cat, Town Mouse, Wobbly Duck, Tap.

If there's anything particular style of cuisine you're looking for, let me know.

Can't recommend a decent chippy, I'm afraid, but I can tell you to avoid Clayton Street Chippy, because it's 💩

Try a propper greasy spoon .on Westgate Hill for breakfast .magdas cafe. It's called salt and pepper .green frontage just up from m&s motorcycles .it's cheep as chips.and a realy good breakfast .
Second that. Still the same family running it as has been since I first went there in the early 90s, but the kids that used to help are all growed up now.

Why aye, hadaway an' off to the toon wi some canny suggestions. Great stuff,many thanks

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

I was also going to suggest this^ going back some years a good way for me to spend an hour or two was a wander up ‘the hill’ to look around the bike shops and a breakfast in the cafe. Haven’t been for years, the last time I went Hein Gerricke were still there.

You have access to the Metro system so easy to get to the Coast and Tynemouth / Whitley Bay , if you are into history you have the Castle Keep and Segedunum roman fort which is 5 minutes walk from Wallsend Metro

Apologies for slow response. The toon was smashin'.

Quayside market and perambulating by the river in the sunny intervals on the Sunday lunchtime/afternoon. Later on, some of the suggested (on here) eateries stopped doing food at 7pm but it was about 6.40pm before I realised, d'oh! Went cheapo near the hotel which was fine. Espresso Martinis might have contributed to a shockingly bad night's kip. Nowt wrong with the bed which was comfy enough.

Magda's Salt n Pepper greasy spoon as suggested on here was qualiteeeee Monday morning. Then tried to get parked near the Discovery Centre but gave up - either two hour limit or no spaces combined with v limited patience, so back to the hotel then got the bus into town. There had been a rain warning and indeed it lashed down pretty much all day but wasn't cold. Went to Laing's Art Gallery and the very fancy library over the road including an exhibition about public toilets in the toon (of which since 2018 there are none, fact fans). I like a library, me.

More wandering, ended up at the 'pop up' open air cinema at NE1 in Eldon Square. Shopping centres are not our usual thing but there was some good freebie stuff on and the kids would have liked some of the activities if they had been with us, so it diverted us for 10 minutes. I looked for the music shop down a basement on the east side of Eldon Square where I bought my drums back in the late 80s (which I still have) but it is long gone. I also could not find what was Ronnie's Drum Shop which I'm sure was on Grey Street.

Back in the day I used to often visit Pet Sounds the record shop (also a basement) down near the railway station, but didn't get chance to search for that. I suspect it is long gone too. Great name for a Geordie record shop. There was another record shop in a terrapin hut near (if memory serves) the bus station but I didn't get chance to look for that either. I can't even remember what it was called. I want to say Reckless Records but might be getting mixed up with a used record shop down that London.

Wandered about a bit more and ended up in Grainger Market where we had excellent 'street food' including Masala Chai at a little eatery there called 'snackwallah'. We recognised several of the market eateries from their presence at the Sunday Quayside Market. I only later noticed the snackwallah Indian street food is all vegan (observation skills lacking due to sleep deprivation?). Quite a small menu all cooked on the day AFAICT (some stuff was all sold) - v nice and v reasonably priced. Eyed up some other eateries to try the next morning while there. Nice market with only a few empty slots and plenty peeps milling about which is a pleasant change from many markets which are often nearly empty.

Tuesday morning cooked brekko at Grainger Market and another wander about including the Mining/Engineering Building near the rail station. What is the horizontal man sculpture intended to represent? Down to the quayside again, over the swing bridge and along the south bank (been to the Sage before, not enough time that day anyway, Baltic closed) then over the Millennium Bridge and a wander along the north bank including some sculptures. The mobile coffee gadgey on the north bank (highly rated on google) was just closing up or we'd have tried his wares. Back to hotel car park, then drove back via Hexham which reminded me what a lovely wee place it is, although we only had an hour there.

All in all we didn't do much but the aim was to take it easy without the kids; which we did,

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated although we'd have needed a week+ to fit them all in.

I also could not find what was Ronnie's Drum Shop which I'm sure was on Grey Street.
Might it have been further down the hill, on Dean Street? Newcastle Drum Centre used to be there, until fairly recently, but I think they've moved out of town now.

Back in the day I used to often visit Pet Sounds the record shop (also a basement) down near the railway station, but didn't get chance to search for that. I suspect it is long gone too. Great name for a Geordie record shop.
I know where that was. It went, and was vacant for a while (I think), but is now a record shop again: Beatdown Records. Expensive, last time I looked.

There was another record shop in a terrapin hut near (if memory serves) the bus station but I didn't get chance to look for that either. I can't even remember what it was called. I want to say Reckless Records but might be getting mixed up with a used record shop down that London.
I'm guessing that was Oldhitz. Used to be a comic book store next to it, I think. Most of my vinyl came from there when I was at university.

What is the horizontal man sculpture intended to represent?
Hah! That's 'Floating Man', with his alter egos, 'Walking Man' and 'Standing Man'. "They are meant to represent three aspects or alter egos of the same man, based on no-one in particular, rather symbolising an Everyman character, or the working men of the city." 🤷‍♂️

Back to hotel car park, then drove back via Hexham which reminded me what a lovely wee place it is, although we only had an hour there.
That's where I live!

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated although we'd have needed a week+ to fit them all in.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom