Four day Ardennes trip - suggestions?

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m busy.

But mates want a 4-day waffle-a-thon in the Ardennes, early June.

Staying in nice hotels, starting with Eurotunnel departure around 17:30 on the Thursday, ending with Eurotunnel arrival UK around 15:00 on the Monday.

Fast bikes, competent riders, but lots of coffee and waffle stops.

Minimal Peage time.

Anyone got a ready made route I can steal?

Cheers aye!

Nin

A route to get there, coming up:

It starts in St Omer, as that was where I happened to start from. It ends in Bouillon, as that is where I happened to stay. Other alternatives are available, not least as the Ardennes is quite a large area, as is north eastern France. As a rough guide, the Belgian Ardennes cover an area about the same size as Yorkshire.

I skipped breakfast in the hotel, in order to get going. Stopped in St Pol for coffee and a croissant. Stopped in Chimay for lunch.

In St Omer, I stay in the Ibis Budget. Why:

A. It is functional but cheap. The Ibis in the town is functional but expensive for what it is.

B. It has a great car park. The other Ibis has a crap car park.

C. It is easy to get out of the town in the morning.

D. It is an easy (slightly uphill) walk into town for the pubs and restaurants.

E. There are two petrol stations within spitting distance. Top-up on arrival to save faffing around in the morning.

It would suit your planned itinerary.

In Bouillon, for this trip, I stayed at the very popular de la Poste hotel. Underground car park. Pretty decent food. Easy stroll to shops, restaurants, bank etc etc. Pretty good hub location for awsome hooning out the next two days etc etc etc.

Await your words.

Last edited:
A route to get there, coming up:

It starts in St Omer, as that was where I happened to start from. It ends in Bouillon, as that is where I happened to stay. Other alternatives are available, not least as the Ardennes is quite a large area, as is north eastern France. As a rough guide, the Belgian Ardennes cover an area about the same size as Yorkshire.

I skipped breakfast in the hotel, in order to get going. Stopped in St Pol for coffee and a croissant. Stopped in Chimay for lunch.

In St Omer, I stay in the Ibis Budget. Why:

A. It is functional but cheap. The Ibis in the town is functional but expensive for what it is.

B. It has a great car park. The other Ibis has a crap car park.

C. It is easy to get out of the town in the morning.

D. It is an easy (slightly uphill) walk into town for the pubs and restaurants.

E. There are two petrol stations within spitting distance. Top-up on arrival to save faffing around in the morning.

It would suit your planned itinerary.

In Bouillon, for this trip, I stayed at the very popular de la Poste hotel. Underground car park. Pretty decent food. Easy stroll to shops, restaurants, bank etc etc. Pretty good hub location for awsome hooning out the next two days etc etc etc.

Await your words.
Nice route. Almost identical to one I rode a couple of years ago to Bouillon, which is a great place to stay and either ride loops or move on. I'm going again in June. Two nights in Bouillon and then on to Vianden for another two nights. I'm looking forward to seeing the Houffalize Panther now it's restored and back on its plinth.

In Bouillon, for this trip, I stayed at the very popular de la Poste hotel. Underground car park. Pretty decent food.
Never stayed there, but doing so twice this year, literally weeks apart. I hear it is a bit of a gem.
Skip expensive brek at the hotel and trot down to the river side cafe. @Arsey will chime in shortly to correct me, as he’s the one who used the cafe and has recommended that we do so on our trip in June.

Can you print those out on pink lavender scented parchment, roll and tie with burgundy ribbon and sealing wax?

Got a route back, mate, but different from the way down?

Yeah, mate. This one like takes the motorway from Cambrai back to Calais ‘cos I was like in a hurry but I got alternatives, like.

But this one is like different ‘cos it stops in Cambrai for scran and then takes the motorway:

But we said we don’t want no motorways, mate! We is well rugged bikers ‘n quick ‘n all.

Cool, bruv.

No motorways. Cafe in Liart, lunch in St Auentin. Cafe in Cap Gris Nez. Chunnel. Actually, I did tell a bit of a porky. There is motorway between Sedan and Charleville-Mezieres, as there is no point in poncing about on the minor roads which (by and large) do not run in a particularly good direction.

Mate, that is well wicked, bruv.

Well, I must say my dear fellow, that I heartily concur with your sentiments.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Can you print those out on pink lavender scented parchment, roll and tie with burgundy ribbon and sealing wax?
You not asking for much?! 🙄 Where the feck is a please and a thank you?! 😁

Outstanding, thank you Wapster and colleagues. I shall write a trip report in the appropriate vernacular.

That’ll be a nice run out for the K1300GT.

No sweat, I had them easily to hand.

Look forward to the trip report, with lots of high quality pictures, especially of your lunch. Have a good time.

PS Do check the routes, as I haven’t.

No sweat, I had them easily to hand.

Look forward to the trip report, with lots of high quality pictures, especially of your lunch. Have a good time.

PS Do check the routes, as I haven’t.

Hotels and ferry booked, butter in fridge, Michelin map meets yellow highlighter pen at the weekend …

We stayed at a superb mini chateau just outside Le Roche en Ardenne, which was occupied by the Nazis in WW2. Great food, hot tub and nice rooms. Probably expensive

Edit: Chateau Beausaint

Never stayed there, but doing so twice this year, literally weeks apart. I hear it is a bit of a gem.
Skip expensive brek at the hotel and trot down to the river side cafe. @Arsey will chime in shortly to correct me, as he’s the one who used the cafe and has recommended that we do so on our trip in June.

The brek at the Hotel de la Poste is great but it’s €18 or similar.
As EV said, I normally cross the river and walk down to the little cafe , which is fabulous and just does basic stuff like great coffee and pastries, etc

0fce456cc233f435ca71ee05e984d127.jpg

3f7c974fbff26aab40c581e106cf7555.jpg

Sent from my N65

If you cant get into the Le Poste Hotel:

'The Splendid View' in Bouillon - a great little find in a lovely town. Four bedrooms and all the amenities, including secure garage parking for at least four large bikes. A two night stay was £368 which worked out to £46 each per night. It's a 5 minute downhill walk to all the amenities in the town and a slightly longer, uphill walk on the way back!! It's got a great balcony on which to enjoy pre-dinner drinks if the weather is suitable and great views of the castle. The host Viviane is welcoming and helpful but unobtrusive. She can also recommend restaurants and bars in the town. We never had a bad or even mediocre meal. A very quiet and peaceful place - until we fired the panzers up every morning!

As EV said, I normally cross the river and walk down to the little cafe , which is fabulous and just does basic stuff like great coffee and pastries, etc

0fce456cc233f435ca71ee05e984d127.jpg

3f7c974fbff26aab40c581e106cf7555.jpg

Sent from my N65

Thank you Chum for confirming location!

Having brek in the hotel is well and good, but having a gentle stroll to the cafe and having a bit of a leg stretch and to warm up one’s body for the day ahead is better in my opinion. Not least of all, you do get to see the town and it’s surroundings in different light of day.
Alternatively, checkout of the hotel and just ride to the cafe, I suppose it is a third option.

This looks like the place:

IMG_4960.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom