Garmin Audio quality

SimonD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I feel that this must have been discussed before but I couldn't find anything. I have an old 390LM that I have connected to a variety of Sena coms systems. The audio directions from the Garmin are always very loud and very poor quality - to the point where I just connect the Sena direct to my phone not the Nav these days.
Is this 390 or Sena specific? If you have music on your Garmin is it played in similarly low quality? Have the later Garmin like the XT or the Nav5/6 got any better? Is it just me?

Thanks for any help.

There is different volumes for music/directions/etc. On the XT there is an audio mixer function in the settings, not sure for earlier models.
I use it with Cardo and also noticed some volume discrepancies and I believe this is due to the Cardo assigning different volumes according to the "channel" in use (music, voice chat, GPS announcements).
I've noticed this is an issue with car multimedia units as well.

I find that the spoken directions from my Nav 6 are very audible and clear using both a UCom 16 (Sena chip) and a Sena SRL-Mesh intercom, no problems.

Ok. I know this has been moved to the comms section but I'm sure the problem is a Garmin one. I have a memory of seeing something about this in the past but can't find anything now.
Good to hear that the Nav6 is ok but that seems to have its own problems. I'm looking at picking up a Nav 5 or maybe an XT but wanted to check whether this problem is restricted to the LM models.

It’s been moved, simply as the GPS section was becoming bunged up with all sorts of audio problems. Since its creation, the dedicated sub-section has helped all sorts of bods to find out why their chosen combination of gps device / phone / communications / audio systems or whatever, were not working together in perfect harmony.

Ok. I know this has been moved to the comms section but I'm sure the problem is a Garmin one. I have a memory of seeing something about this in the past but can't find anything now.
Good to hear that the Nav6 is ok but that seems to have its own problems. I'm looking at picking up a Nav 5 or maybe an XT but wanted to check whether this problem is restricted to the LM models.
its quite possible that your garmin gpsr volume for the directions "channel" is turned up too high on your cardo/sena, causing distortion and the loud volume issue. To adjust the volume on that channel alone, just wait for the spoken directions to start and use the roller/wheel to reduce the volume. Other channels (ie comms/phone) should be unaffected

I know how to adjust the volume, it's just that the GPS audio is horribly distorted. I have had the same problem when connecting it to a Sena SMH5, 10S and 10U over the years.
No problem with moving the post and if no-one has had any experience of this then maybe it's just my unit - I have had it from new. Maybe it's my imagination that this was a "known problem" with Garmin units.

It's the first I've heard of it being a "known problem" with Garmin units. I've had four Garmin satnavs including the Nav V and VI and not had this issue with any of them. Distortion is usually down to one of three things: A fault with the amplification source; a fault with the speakers or a fault caused by bluetooth distortion through interference affecting the signal. Do you usually connect your phone to the GPS unit (and disconnect from the sena) or do you connect both GPS and phone to your sena as this can cause issues?

I used to connect the phone to the GPS but these days I just connect it to the Sena and don't bother connecting the Garmin at all.

Back
Top Bottom