Garmin Zumo 550 Installation on BMW F650GS

Dutchman

Reaction score
Completed the installation today of the new Garmin Zumo 550 GPS unit onto our BMW F650GS.

Using an adapted Motorrad Concepts 1200GSA GPS mount on the handlebar brace the Zumo power cradle fixes easily and rigidly to the alloy mount with M4 x 30mm CSK crosshead s/s screws. The ones included in the Zumo kit need to be cut down by about 8mm but we will supply the correct length screws with all Garmin versions of our GPS mounts with immediate effect.

For this particular application we've taken the GPS power from the back of the BMW auxilliary power socket on the lower nearside of the bike using the correct BMW piggy back power cable.

This means the feed to the GPS is constantly live and independent of the ignition. As the Zumo has it's own on/off switch we don't see this as a problem.

We've connceted the 3.5mm audio out socket on the Zumo cradle to a Baehr Active comms unit under the seat so we can have GPS audio/MP3 audio/pillion etc etc.......

However this audio connection alone will not allow full functionality of the Bluetooth phone connection because we also need a 2.5mm microphone feed so that the helmet comms setup already used with the Baehr system will 'talk' to the Zumo and therefore any Bluetooth phone connected to it.

Later today I'll try pairing the BMW System 5 Bluetooth helmet with the Zumo & my Motorola phone & see what happens.....more of which later.

Baehr are currently developing a specific Zumo interface cable with a special dual 3.5 & 2.5 mm plug at the cradle end and their 6 pin DIN connector for the comms unit connection. This will then allow seamless communication via the Zumo and your Bluetooth phone.

We understand Autocom are also working on a Zumo specific cable for their own systems.

That's about it for now....

Dutch

Attachments

• F650GSzumo01.jpg
    F650GSzumo01.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,925
  • F650GSzumo02.jpg
    F650GSzumo02.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,182
  • F650GSzumo03.jpg
    F650GSzumo03.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,928
I'll be keeping an eye on this Dutchman, as I'm after a Zumo for next years jaunts.

I'm up in Edinburgh in May, so who knows, I may see you then for a 1200 fitting.

Andy T

Your pictures Dutch, A nice neat installation
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom