Getting the Horn

Ratty Jon

Registered user
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Location
Hertford, GB
Rather than buy the Denali sound bomb and extra wiring harness. I’m told the low tone horn from a bmw 5series car is a direct plug and play with the bmw wiring connector - has anyone mounted one on their gs1300, is this solution true ?
 
Worked on my 1250, but it packed up after a while. Difficult to mount so it doesn’t touch anything.

Obviously the 1300 may be different.
 
Direct plug and play for my 1200 GSA.
The only thing I had to change was to bend the metal tab a smidgeon so that it didn’t touch anything else and rattle.

It’s LOUD. Worth a punt for what it costs. Post up if it fits.

IMG_6844.jpg
 
I have one sitting on the shelf awaiting fitting when I get a chance. Worth noting the plug on the 1300 uses pin type terminals rather than flat blade style terminals so as far as I could ascertain when looking at options earlier "5 series" etc horns will likely not connect.
 
This may be poor riding ability on my part, but I'm not sure I've ever used a motorbike horn. If I see trouble, I find my time is spent looking out for myself and avoiding it. If someone looks like they're about to do something unhelpful, I back off or clear off out of the way and let them get on with it.

In cars, nowadays horns seem to be used after the event to pass on how pissed the driver is, except in India, where the horn replaces indicators (and common sense)!
 
This may be poor riding ability on my part, but I'm not sure I've ever used a motorbike horn. If I see trouble, I find my time is spent looking out for myself and avoiding it. If someone looks like they're about to do something unhelpful, I back off or clear off out of the way and let them get on with it.

In cars, nowadays horns seem to be used after the event to pass on how pissed the driver is, except in India, where the horn replaces indicators (and common sense)!
I do use mine occasionally, but also don't understand the need for a louder one than standard.

Are people "upgrading" because they think the normal one won't be heard by a driver in an emergency situation?

If they are actually having these experiences, rather than just worrying about it, then they'd probably be better off learning to ride more defensively.
 
Mini sound bomb is a plug and play with no additional wiring required. I've fitted one on my R1300GS.
I wish I could get one on to my 1260S easily too!
 
This may be poor riding ability on my part, but I'm not sure I've ever used a motorbike horn.
When I went through the Advanced Rider scheme... they encouraged its use, and in some situations wanted to see that your thumb was on it, just in case. I don't think the standard horn does an awful lot, as it's too quiet... but a much louder one certainly has its merits.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SBD
" And sound came there none" :confused2: Oh well back to the drawing board. Tested and got continuity across the pins so unlikely the horn is a DOA but might test further, I've seen it mentioned that if an electrical item tries to pull more than the rated load for the circuit the canbus automatically disconnects it, have to wonder if that's what has happened here.

Have to agree with the points about never really using the horn, I'm the same, I always look to place myself in a position-through observation and planning- that I never need to resort to its use. However, I'm presently doing my ROSPA and there are places they expect you to use it to sound particularly to provide an advanced warning and I reckoned something a little more "strident" than the standard one would not go amiss. So either plan B or just stick with what I've got.....
 
I’d rather have a horn that makes the other party shit themselves, and not need it, than shit myself because I hadn’t.

Defensive riding is fine, defensive, intelligent, sensible, and I’d never knock it, but you wear a lid/seat belt for the onhnosecond when it all goes wrong. Horn’s the same?
 
Just fitted a Denali mini sound bomb to my 1300gs…. A five minute job.( bent the original mount a touch to assist install)
I’d rather have a LOUD horn for the few times it’s needed.

I ride defensively, (“to the system” … for those that know) but a horn is useful occaisionally, and for those times I want one that’s as loud as can be….. I’ve had “neep, neep” horns on bikes that were useless apart from letting the bike pass an MoT…
As SBD says ….. better someone shits themselves when hearing my horn, than me shitting myself because the horn didn’t do as it was meant to and wake people up…

Denali wasn’t cheap, but worth it IMHO.
 
I do use mine occasionally, but also don't understand the need for a louder one than standard.

Are people "upgrading" because they think the normal one won't be heard by a driver in an emergency situation?

If they are actually having these experiences, rather than just worrying about it, then they'd probably be better off learning to ride more defensively.
I put a mini soundbomb on my bike as well as keeping the original because I had no faith that the original squeaker would even be heard at high speed on motorways etc should I need to use it. Mine's wired in via my hexezecan and there's a slight delay in the soundbomb kicking in so in town etc just a quick press of the button only activates the original, but if I need to keep the button pressed the soundbomb then sounds too.
 


Back
Top Bottom