Goose & Grizz's trip to France & Belgium..... a belated report!

Goose

Reaction score
It just so happened that at the same time I needed a break from the MIL’s house (we have been living in a bedroom with 2 single beds for over a year now – without cupboards and living out of suitcases and a few plastic storage boxes in the garage)

Jenni knew I’d been climbing walls and needed to escape so she suggested I take the bike and go and have a break…

Now my good friend Rian (Grizz) came to the end of his work contract and was effectively “unemployed” …….. so I took a chance and SMS’d him a suggestion about maybe doing a quick trip to France. Expecting him to decline – but it was a speedy response after he received his wife’s blessing to go!

WOW!!! What a lady!!

Rian needed to do a bit of a shake-down for his prep for his planned trip to SA next year. Not much to shake down really – more that he needed more time in the saddle to stiffen up and tone his backside for the anticipated long saddle days.

The plan for France was…….. well NOT to have any plans…. and best of all was that neither of us had travelled to Europe by bike before…….. so riding on the “wrong” or should I say Right side of the road was not only going to be a new experience (we’d both done it by car before) – but will be darn right interesting.

We wanted to just go – no route planning, no accommodation at all………… everything would be spur-of-the moment.

So we agreed on Tuesday the 11th for the outward trip and that we should return sometime on the Friday. A mere 4 days but at least this way we’d get a break – stay away from the weekend madness and still ensure we’re back to spend the weekend with our wives.

At this stage of the report - I feel that I had to add a bit of a story leading up to the planned jaunt over the waters.
Grizz will be doing that trip next year in SA........ and we needed to setup bike-2-bike comms for him and ensure that he'd be able to operate the setup as well as whether it would indeed benefit his trip with his brother.

My bike has an existing installation - his not!

Grizz's impending Memorial tour to South Africa (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=106063.0) had us chatting about fitting 2-way radios on the bikes in SA to allow comms between their bikes.

Now any decent, intelligent biker knows that ANY excuse is a good excuse for a ride...... so a ride around the block/area is definitely NOT good enough if you have access to some of the best biking roads in Europe for a mere £16.00 ticket price away. P&O Ferry's have a great 2 hour service from Dover to Calais at 6am ..... which allows a full day's travelling on French soil!

Grizz managed to get hold of a Kenwood 2-way radio and early this morning he arrived at our place to start the installation.

We also needed to visit Halfords for some goodies to comply with the new French touring laws....... a spare set of Bulbs & 2 'orrible Straws that one has to blow into to prove to the Gendarmes that we can still ride a bike....

photo16.jpg

..... just love the Wilddog Paws!!! :thumb

photo6.jpg

Remember to look out for the special guest - "Cling-on" (a soft Wilddog' toy that was sent to South Africa via ROyal Mail to cheer up a 5-yr old diagnosed with Brain cancer...)

"Cling-On" the Wilddog groupie! :augie

photo19.jpg

I must say that it's an absolute pleasure spending time with another dude that can "Make-'n-plan" ........ as we had 1 x Autocom system + 1 x Kenwood, 2 x Other radio's and a kak-huis full of cables.....! :mwink:

photo15.jpg

Well Autocom installed - we found that there was no way we could get the two smaller radios working - the Kenwood was ok - but powered off the Autocom - however no PTT was in the bag, so out came a set of Sharman headphones......

A quick installation of the Headset and we were ready to connect the radio.... or so we thought :nenau

Two small 1,5mm screws were needed to allow the Kenwood to be connected via cables to the Autocom for it's power... but we had none - so off to Maplin and their wonderfully skilled Electronic experts to assist!

:blast:blast

Hier kom kark. (here comes shit!)

I watched Grizz's stare and if he could have BLIKSEM'd the salesman - he would have.............. the DUDE insited on ïnserting" the screw himself and after 2 turns both of us could see the thread was wrong into the aluminium housing.
Before either of us could blurt out a word... the bloke forced the screwdriver and snapped the head of the screw off............ :eek: Idiot of a twatwaffle

Fortunately......... working on radio equipment is right up my alley .. so with the salesman realising he was in deep kark......... (he would potentially be liable to replace a 70 quid radio) we were given carte blanche by the store manager to open and use ANY of the tools and equipment in the store to rectify the situation!

photo.jpg

So on the Maplin counter top......... we did a strip & repair........... but not just ANY repair... (as the old screw was totally jammed) we promptly proceeded to strip the unit, drill a new hole (check the size of the hand-drill)

photo2.jpg

..... the drill-bit being so thin & flimsy - required Grizz to stabilise it with his farmer-brown "vingers" .....

photo5.jpg

and as a first ever.... used a nifty miniature Tap & Die set to tap a new thread for our fastening screw!

photo3.jpg

Finally we were given the screws by the salesman after being more than grateful that we were not holding him liable for the stuffed screw.
Amazingly he commented on how he found it fascinating to watch us with the inhouse repair as he'd not realised what some of the tools we used were for..... :patch: - he works there... but no clue!

The Autocom connector had rust and some broken wires inside the power lead sheath... causing intermittent functionality that really screw'd us around.... but nothing a soldering iron would not sort out!

Eventually a whole rewire of the cable system was required to get it working........... using old dvd power lead (recycling's big here you know!)

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

EUREKA!!!! Comms finally working.. a quick test and a blast up to the M25 was needed to make sure it works. (another excuse for a spin on the boney :mwink:)

Interestingly we had 9/10 reception at speeds approaching "licence threatening" with a distance of close on a mile and no signs of any break-up at all.

Needless to say - we are really chuffed with the performance and this adds a new dimension to riding with your mate!

Right - back to the Ride Report................... :thumb2

A quick search on the Internet provided us with some “Discount Codes” for the various Ferry companies – with P&O Ferries giving us the best rate of only £32.00 per bike & rider for a return trip.

c7e82b28.jpg

Now a quick conversion to ZAR - meant it was around R 425.00 for the return trip…….. not bad at all considering that it was a nice cruise, relaxing enough to allow us to try and make some sort of plan for the road ahead….. and where else could you get such a fantastic deal to travel across the waters to another continent!

There was ONLY one downside to the trip………. there was rain forecast for the whole of France and as we had talked of maybe camping, this would put a damper on our limited finances if we were forced into more “upmarket” accommodation.

I ended up packing everything I needed and headed over to Grizz’s Pad the night before so we could do a final check, have a braai (thanks boet – you outdid yourself with the meat!) and get up at 4am for the dash down to Dover for the ferry that left at 6am.

JUST LOOK AT THAT STEAK!!!!!!!! :drool:drool:drool

38286cc2.jpg

42b193a7.jpg

c8a9e2d9.jpg

Strange bed ….there’s just no flippen way that you can sleep if you haven't done it in a while....

I got up at 3:30am and managed to get some of my goodies sorted before Rian went downstairs to put the kettle on.
Funny though… THIS morning should have been ringing the warning bells as to Grizz’s sleeping habits as Nicola was downstairs fast asleep on the couch in their lounge.

(Later I was to find out that this is her favourite place to sleep – Rian’s unbelievable snoring has serious repercussions)

Hiding in amongst the clothing & kit…………

a4726176.jpg

47f6c136.jpg

Got dressed with full liners, waterproofs and buff against the impending cold and wet …. Felt like the Michelin man!

Slugging down a few cuppa’s and we were ready to push the bikes from the garage (no noise this time of the morning…) Weather was very overcast, ground wet and snotty like a slug-without-a-shell….. but we were like two kids with our new toys.

So not bad timing at all….. we roared off towards the freeway and the Dover coast at exactly 4:45am

Needless to say – our “dry-spell” did not last too long and soon the rain started pelting down. Fortunately the freeway’s were pretty clear and we made good time down to our destination.

Check-in time for the 06:20 ferry was 6am and we arrived with 10 minutes to spare…. And we received our boarding passes that indicated we were allowed to jump the queue’s and board first! Now that ‘s service!!

As Grizz called it…. “Stupid-o-clock” in the morning!!

6b5dfcf6.jpg

One thing I have to comment on is the huge benefit of having Comms between the two riders.
Not only was this proving very beneficial on this leg to the coast (when traffic got heavy and we were separated – it was great to still be able to advise each other when & where there were traffic and road dangers. I’d say that even at a 2 Mile distance – our communications were still 7-out-of-10)

This was Rian’s first taste of Bike-2-Bike and he was loving it!

We arrived in Calais around 8am (7am UK time as France is an hour ahead) and decided right away to turn South – however we were going to avoid Motorways as much as possible.

Riding through Calais, we then turned off towards a small area called COQUELLES, where we stopped to check camera equipment and try to set the GPS for our route down the coast. We also on the spur-of-the-moment decided that DIEPPE was going to be a destination…. No specific reason, just that it was a decent distance and the name jumped out from the map!

We started off on the E402 in a southerly direction towards BOULOGNE-SUR-MER, then FORT-MAHON BEACH and afterwards LE HOURDEL, LE TREPORT and finally DIEPPE.

The map shows the routing with the places listed.

1070a8a3.jpg

Our first stop (not really - just a lay-bye) was Esplanade de Sainte-Cécile, Camiers

History (From WIKI)
Camiers belonged to the Lordship of Noailles. However the waters of the lagoon between the dunes and the shore of the solid geology, for many years, presented an obstacle to its development.During the First World War the flat lands were the site of the huge base depôt of the British army in France. It is usually known nowadays as Étaples camp. Through most of the war, close to it and part of the same complex, Camiers camp was the base depôt, in France, of the Machine Gun Corps.
Deserted parking area’s allow for perfect freedom with the bikes. A good view of the nice dark clouds awaiting us in the direction we’re travelling.

c6414ecf.jpg

Massive beaches…………..

7581a1fa.jpg

5d309bcd.jpg

Grizz & I were sitting just contemplating the sheer size and totally exposed beaches that we were seeing – fantastic !

5b9ad03e.jpg

The next stop was Fort Mahon Plage (PICARDIE REGION)

History (From WIKI)

Fort-Mahon-Plage is not a very old town. It seems certain that it did not exist before the 18th century, except, of course, the superb sand dunes and the sea. Then considered rather cold and wild, this part of the coast would have welcomed only fishermen and shellfish gatherers. Indeed, the first town was raised there only a little more than two centuries ago, with a few small shepherds’ huts in 1790. Fort-Mahon-Plage was not considered a commune at all until 1923, when it was officially identified as a separate village from its neighbour Quend-Plage-Les-Pins. Urbanization was steady, notably in the 1950s, with the immense beach of fine sand, in contrast to many of the pebble beaches of Normandy, doing a lot to attract tourists, as well as a soft and pleasant sea during the summer. The huge beach later became famous for its water activities, most notably land-yacht racing, wind-surfing and kiting. …….. a town that has huge beaches that were actively used during the Normandy Landings. Now however these vast sandy beaches cater more for tourists and sun-lovers.

The Main road looking up from the beach area….

eb5fd416.jpg

8e0d3186.jpg

3142ca3c.jpg

What I immediately loved about this place were the older vehicles ambling along……… the place was exceptionally clean and definitely worth a visit again.

A Renault 2CV Panelvan – still in daily use

14d495cd.jpg

A French Saviem 4x4 Truck (nice…)

29792751.jpg

Not forgetting our VW lovers…….

e53648c4.jpg

3f375b27.jpg

And old Grizz……… on the phone! A pose that I’d come to recognise…. Often!

49098404.jpg

We spent some time just to relax and then also visited the Tourist Information office.
Struggling to communicate with the limited French I know and the limited English that the chap behind the counter knew… was soon resolved when Grizz and I started speaking and joked in Afrikaans.
The attitude quickly changed once they discovered we were Saffers and not the “Dreaded Anglaise” from across the channel.... whatever did the you guys do to the poor Frenchies :augie

We were also handed some really nice commemorative stickers for the panniers!

There was a bit of sunshine now and we decided to head on down the road to see what else attracted our fancy.
This was great – with no set route or time we could really enjoy the riding. Kak-praat (talking shit) is also something that goes hand-in-hand with two blokes riding nowhere – something which I thoroughly enjoyed with old Grizz.
We noticed a huge bay-area as well as what appeared as a lighthouse in the distance… so a bit of confer and we ended up in a very small village (more like a clump of houses) ………

So our next on the list was Le Hourdel

No real history on this place apart from the fact that it used to be a small fishing village but now seems pretty deserted…. Possibly kept alive by the odd tourists.

0da07d52.jpg

Parked at the lighthouse…

f195a031.jpg

Up the main street……..(not much there)

a2763025.jpg

……. And Grizz in one of his famous poses….

b88368d6.jpg

We did not stay long before we started down the road again. Our asses were itching to get to Dieppe – mainly to get settled as neither of us had a good night’s sleep before the ferry trip. And we did not want to ride on foreign roads without our wits about.

I decided to ride ahead as Rian wanted to check out an old church – this was another situation where the 2-way radios showed their worth…. Rian could stop and tell me what he was doing – I merely carried on about 2 or 3 miles ahead of him, stopping for a few pics and then waiting for the man to come riding along for some action shots.

90588891.jpg

4192033f.jpg

……….. mmmmmm we’re tired!!
This pic shows Rian pulling over on the left-side just before a bend in the road – suddenly realising he should be on the other side…. correcting his line........ A few laughs indeed!

5e207aa9.jpg

We had approximately 60km to go to Dieppe, so decided to hussle it for the last bit – however we still stayed off the motorways as these held no interest for us at all.
The ride to Dieppe was uneventful – however nothing could have prepared us for the ride into the town. WOW!!!! We had a long straight section down a hill and the closer we got to the town – the better the views and the more historic the buildings became.

There was a true awe factor looking at buildings that were indeed centuries old.

Final stop for the day – Dieppe (Upper Normandy)

a9ffd191.jpg

History (From WIKI)

First recorded as a small fishing settlement in 1030, Dieppe was an important prize fought over during the Hundred Years' War. Dieppe housed the most advanced French school of cartography in the 16th century. Two of France's best navigators, Michael le Vasseur and his brother Thomas le Vasseur, lived in Dieppe when they were recruited to join the expedition of René Goulaine de Laudonnière which departed Le Havre for Florida on April 20, 1564. The expedition resulted in the construction of Fort Caroline, the first French colony in the New World.[4] Dieppe was the premier port of the kingdom in the 17th century. On July 23, 1632, 300 colonists heading to New France departed from Dieppe. At the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, Dieppe lost 3,000 of its Huguenot citizens, who fled abroad.
Dieppe was an important target in wartime; the town was largely destroyed by an Anglo-Dutch naval bombardment in 1694. It was rebuilt after 1696 in a typical French classical style by Ventabren, an architect, who gave it its unique feature for a sea port. It was popularised as a seaside resort following the 1824 visit of the widowed Duchess of Berry, daughter-in-law of Charles X. She encouraged the building of the recently-renovated municipal theatre, the Petit-Théâtre (1825), associated particularly with Camille Saint-Saëns.
During the later 19th century, Dieppe became popular with English artists as a beach resort. Prominent literary figures such as Arthur Symons loved to keep up with the latest fads of avant-garde France here, and during "the season" sometimes stayed for weeks on end.

Our arrival as mentioned was spectacular and we took the first opportunity to stop just on the inside of the harbour wall.

d2f31e78.jpg

c8400e40.jpg

ed319939.jpg

…………… and guess who’s popped out of the topbox…?

6342970c.jpg

We were very intrigued when we noticed some big kites flying in the distance.

838ec33c.jpg

A quick stop to draw some funds from the “Hole-in-the-wall” and we started on a little exploration tour towards the other side of the harbour.

This was unbelievable….. we saw THIS poster on a wall….. what amazing luck. We’d arrived right in the middle of a major International Kite Festival that’s only held every 2 years.

9c74254e.jpg

We quickly found a hotel (bugger the camping) and were welcomed with open arms. We were also told that our bikes would be safer when we parked them on the pavement, right next to their reception to ensure the concierge could keep an eye on our “Moto’s”

0ec0f232.jpg

A quick shower and a change after being relieved of €110.00 for the room (with separate single beds) and we were off to go and have a looksee.
The massive beachfront was covered with kite-flyers. Massive things that filled the sky. Every conceivable shape and design and we found that even SA was represented… although the poor Saffer sitting on his own in a small tent with his Springbok jersey on… looked a bit dishevelled and even Rian’s amazing sense of humour could only wring an attempt at a smile from this dude……. what-a-twat……..!

From our hotel room!

f5968081.jpg

I’ve got so many pics that we’ll just throw a few in here without comments chaps….
This story/RR is taking forever and this is only the first day!
Some stunning displays though…

f2c76d27.jpg

6aaa99bf.jpg

7b4d6438.jpg

a80ba90a.jpg

2a791a3e.jpg

aca45ec7.jpg

d2a27865.jpg

Evening time came all too soon and we had to go and find some food. Lots of restaurants and café’s – so we promptly chose one – sat down and waited for our turn to be served. The waitress finished with a couple that arrived before us and then sauntered over with a smile. Bonsoir Monsieur she said with such a cute smile – WITCH!!!
As soon as I’d greeted her and explained we wanted to eat and drink… she realised we spoke “that dreaded language” and just said – “No – Impossible” no drink & no food…FINI!!

We tried everything – pointing gesturing but all to no avail. Désolé!! And off we went with a huff.

A few blocks further we were beckoned in and although the restaurant manager became farking rude to us (pretending that he does not speak a word of English…) his wife eventually came and helped us out – changing her attitude again with us once realising no English connection. And here we thought we as Saffers were racists!
Rian enjoyed a really good Moules Fromage Bleu and my Moules Marinieres was also delicious! We hardly spoke as we shucked and gobbled…. It was nice but we were flippen hungry as well! Total cost for the meal, coke and a Leffe Blond came to €50.00 (with the single Leffe ripping €8.50 out of the bill amount)

We had to do the tourist thing and decided to do some walking taking in the sights …….. however the mistake was made when we walked down a narrow road section and noticed this lot in the windows…!
DAMN – we should have bought fresh and sat on the beach with a picnic ……..

28c2292b.jpg

4249b59e.jpg

807a49bc.jpg

Some of the town centre and harbour shots………….

fdd06664.jpg

0a64c500.jpg

This dude tried doing something that was……………. (no comment)

7af4b6db.jpg

99051e42.jpg

58120696.jpg

Check this painting on the side of this old building………

887e10fd.jpg

Amazing indeed!

52857d76.jpg

41c6e249.jpg

Well so ends day 1 of our trip.

The News & Weather on the telly was not very positive……….

e51fe5c0.jpg

A good sleep is needed and we’ll decide where our next destination will be!

Day 2 to follow!

DIEPPE, FRANCE - Second World War Some history and interesting facts....

Dieppe was occupied by German naval and army forces after the fall of France in 1940. In order to allow a better defence of the coast against a possible Allied landing, the Germans destroyed the mauresque casino that was located near the beach area. The destruction of the casino had only begun at the time of the Dieppe Raid.
The Dieppe Raid in the Second World War was a costly battle for the Allies. On August 19, 1942, Allied soldiers, mainly drawn from the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, landed at Dieppe in the hope of occupying the town for a short time, gaining intelligence and drawing the Luftwaffe into open battle. The Allies suffered more than 1,400 deaths; 1,946 Canadian soldiers were captured—more prisoners than the army lost in the 11 months of the 1944–45 NW Europe campaign.[5] But no major objectives on the ground were achieved; in the air, a major objective of drawing German air forces into open battle was realized.

French soldiers from the region, captured in the fighting of 1940, were returned to the area after the Dieppe Raid as repayment by the German occupation authorities, who felt that the conduct of the French civilians in Dieppe had been correct and had not hindered the defence of the port during the battle.
The port remained garrisoned by German forces until the conclusion of the Battle of Normandy. When the 1st Canadian Army approached at the end of August, the garrison withdrew, not desiring to enter into battle for the port.

Dieppe was liberated on September 1, 1944, by soldiers from the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division. On September 3, the entire division paused for reorganization, and a victory parade was held; contingents representing all major units of the 2nd Division marched 10 abreast behind the massed pipes and drums of the division's highland regiments. A memorial service was held in the nearby Canadian military cemetery to honour those killed in the Dieppe Raid.

793a1be8.jpg

8b6054e7.jpg

27b92465.jpg

We found the story of the Dieppe Raid very touching. The fact that the armour was totally annihilated on the beaches due to the pebbled clogging the tracks – meant that the infantry had to try and cross the wide beaches without any cover or support. The cliff-top had machine guns and artillery trained on the beaches and carnage was the result.

More can be read about this story here:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2006/11/dieppe-return-to-red-beach/

as well as http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/dieppe_1942.htm

Enjoyed that .... many thanks for eventually making the effort ;)

Well worth it :thumb

:beerjug:

Great photos & write up:thumb2

Citroen may have something to say about you labelling their Dyane as a 2CV and as a Renault though:D

DIEPPE, FRANCE – Day 2

Well we were tired – so after a shower we settled in to what should have been a blissful sleep……… Grizz took one of his anti-histamine tablets, which apparently knock him for a six. He offered me one as he now warned me that he does snore a little.
Unfortunately I’d also been suffering from a slight headache and had been on the Myprodol’s due to my pain threshold level…. where normal tabs just do not affect me. So I declined the tab he offered and decided to take my chances by getting into bed first and dozing off.

WELL …………… SLAAN MY DOOD MET ‘N SLAP PIEL!!!! (Translated to: Beat me to death with a sloppy willie .... mmm lost in translation)

Where the hell does this dude get his snozz from???????? :eek::eek:

Liewe hemel (Good lord) I have never in my life, not even sleeping in our bungalow at 7SAI (7 South African Infantry Batallion) … EVER heard a racket like this oke produces.
Without a doubt the SADF could have used him as a secret weapon…….. if they’d stashed him away in a private bunker in the Caprivi – he’d have played hell with SWAPO and the war would have been over far sooner.

In Fact – I now also realised the demise of the Deville Wood was NOT due to artillery shelling, but Grizz’s fore-father’s snoring!!

By 3am I had still not been able to sleep a wink. This dude rasped and cut wood with everything from a chain saw to bench saw and possibly a blunt-blade-angle grinder……… and the worst part is that he fought with himself in the middle of the whole escapade.

I was also now blessed with a full-blown headache from hell which settled into a migraine. So off to the bathroom for water and more drugs – when I happened to realise that I could possibly get some kip in the bathroom or passage. Now this was a R1300/night hotel-room and I did not give a damn where I slept – as long as I got some sleep. So the mattress, sheets and paraphernalia was dragged from the room into the bathroom passage which allowed me to close a fairly soundproof door behind me.

Total darkness and lack of the wood-cutter’s song allowed me to quickly fall into a type of slumber. By 7:30am I was awake again and started getting sorted – first more drugs and then another shower to help alleviate the thumping head, which was to stay with me for the remainder of the trip!

P1040613_zps8e2caa38.jpg

A quick look out of the window showed the beachfront deserted and the ominous clouds present!

eadf9d52.jpg

b27c817d.jpg

Breakfast was included – so now you know that no self-respecting-biker would allow good food to be wasted and not addressed. Both of us tucked into everything from rolls, salami, ham, coffee…. more coffee and cheese (I just love the French)…….. and what better way to show our appreciation for the food…. by making some mother-of-all-sarmies from the available stock for our lunch!!

Mmmmm also found this little titbit I’d shoved in my pocket the previous night…. To finish our brekkie!

282617cf.jpg

The bikes were now packed and ready to leave when the heavens opened up. I mean it really came down and our hearts sank…….. but we’d just have to sit it out and wait.

Chatting up the receptionists proved a huge bonus. Sharing pics of Cape Town surely helped and their friendliness soon became evident when the one girl – Karine – called her “usband” and explained to him she had these weird visitors from SA (by this time we’d decided that Saffers were far more likely to get good treatment than anyone assumed to be from across the Channel).

In no time at all Thierry arrived. A short stocky Frenchman beaming the biggest smile ever, and shook our hands as if he’d just been given a million Euro’s! He explained (with his wife translating) that although they’d never been to “Le Cap” he’d heard a lot about it and they would love to visit SA someday.
He then produced two badges for us… he was a “Dieppe Sapeurs-Pompiers” or better known as a fireman! After thanking him and pumping his hand in thanks… he told us that he had another gift…. Ran off and returned with some super fireman’s T-shirts for the two of us. What a bloke and an amazing change in hospitality from the previous evening!

bb4619e8.jpg

The rain stopped and we were finally ready to leave around 11am…. with a stop planned at the local Tourist Information and a general look-around before hitting the road. The poor weather at least allowed us to take note of the rain and we decided that rather than going south and remaining in the rain – we’d turn northwards towards Belgium and hopefully outrun the bad weather.

I nearly forgot………. In a restaurant window I also spotted old “GROENIE” – the Dragon (a nickname used by a mate on SA forum)!

e2753513.jpg

The nice thing with bikes is that you can literally park anywhere. It was made clear to us on a few occasions that the “Moto’s” had preferential treatment and were not hassled by police at all. So who are we to argue when allowed to park on the main square..

5aa91b8c.jpg

A quick look around…. another stunning pic of the Dieppe Harbour……..

b9b3ca6d.jpg

And we decided that it was time to make tracks!

Day 2’s route would take us from DIEPPE via AMIENS to CAMBRAI and whatever we find inbetween!

882b04e0.jpg

The road out of Dieppe was rather uneventful …. But we took a few last minute pics from the other side of the harbour area… as a farewell. Notice the weather change…. Blue skies and we were well and truly on our way…….. mmmmmmmm?

c7d7ee37.jpg

After about an hour’s riding…. We spotted a small village and pulled off to take a pic. JUST then the heavens opened from above and the rain deposited it’s mid-morning pleasure on us. Typical!!

The single track road opened up into a small quaint village called FRESNOY-FOLNY (we were now about 22km from Dieppe) which was a true gem. If we’d not have stopped – we’d have bypassed it and soon realised that if we wanted the WOW-factor we need to stay off the beaten track.

5e961b30.jpg

Cows lying next to the owners home…. This is real country-life!

90463c56.jpg

6bc69438.jpg

6acf1850.jpg

The village must have had a participant at the recent Olympics and their tribute here was inspiring!

4a5a00a5.jpg

What also caught our eye were the fact that all the properties were clean, well maintained and a lot of pride evident.
No litter or rubbish at all – these places were clean and an absolute pleasure not to have to look at the SA national flower where-ever you ride! (SA being part of Africa... few of the locals in the countryside believe in keeping your litter to yourself. Often you see fields with shrubbery covered in plastic bags - Sad indeed!)

37e81b5a.jpg

As we left the village, we trundled up towards GRANDCOURT .

A few in-motion shots of old Grizz and we were on our way again………..

350e5b85.jpg

About 2km outside the town we found the GRANDCOURT WAR CEMETARY. The weirdest thing is that from the downpour we had minutes before…. The skies changed colour to a stunning blue with a few clouds – the storm had moved west towards the coast.

1dbdfc13.jpg

d09d4fd7.jpg

This War Cemetery contains the graves of 29 British soldiers – all from the 51st Highland division who fell during the withdrawal from Bresle as well as 19 British, 8 Canadian, 1 Australian and 1 New Zealand Airmen who died in this area of France.

The oldest was 43 years old and youngest 19…………. 4 of the graves are unidentified ………

3a01d3a1.jpg

We filled in the visitors book that is supplied at all the war cemeteries. Neither Rian or me were in a chatty mood which became somber as we tried to take in the scale of the devastation and loss of life these area’s must have witnessed. Saddened even more was the realisation that men – or should I say boys from all sides were probably spurred on to kill – blessed by their priests and ministers who were all supposedly from the same faith.

The road ahead started to look better and better………

e67363c2.jpg

db4a96bf.jpg

2b5dff2e.jpg

So time to load up and twist the throttle again.

There were “La Naturelle” signs everywhere, which naturally Grizz and I described as signs for a Naturist site or camping site. THIS revelation quickly brewed up some crazy ideas and soon Grizz was carefully studying each and every sign we saw for fixing points so he could “add” one to his numberplate collection. Hehe… this was not to be because although the first signs we saw only had cable ties holding them onto fencing or poles….. the Frenchies got clever (or the word spread that Grizz was on the loose) and all subsequent signs were found to be nailed or bolted onto poles.

We were shunting down one road stretch when I heard Rian chirp in the radio that he’s stopping…… he’d seen a sign about a kilometre before and has decided to turn around and go and have a “look” at it! :augie
Bugger…… hehe……….. THIS I had to see so did a turn and took a side-road towards ALLERY.

7a85a01d.jpg

Here I found old Grizz with a look of disgust on his face….. the sign was badly battered and fixed with 4 moerse bolts………… he did not even take a pic of it! :nenau

9c75c327.jpg

AIRAINES was our next stop at the local Renault service station – to fill up with gasoline at the amazing price of only €1.76/liter …..??

bef30e87.jpg

We also spotted this “High-speed-traveller” coming down a section of the main street……… needed a high-speed camera to capture the immense speed this oke was doing!

8fb4e656.jpg

7509186e.jpg

I know many people hate these….. I’d love one for offroad use as there will be no surprises!

6d884015.jpg

Soon we happened upon the main road intersection…………. So we had a choice – back towards Calais or right towards more adventure!

796b0404.jpg

928be323.jpg

…………. AMIENS here we come…………..

And ……………….. there we went!

No way – this is a major town/city so we used the freeway to bypass AMIENS and carry on up towards a town called ALBERT.

We noticed a sign that read “Musèe Somme” just as we passed Albert and a quick confer and the decision was made to do a bit of a detour. We spotted the cathedral’s shining spire and thought that maybe we could slum-it a bit and have some lunch in the town (we suddenly remembered that we’d stashed away some sarmies from Deippe!)

WOW!!! I love spur-of-the-moment decisions as I’ve always found that following your instinct normally allows you to experience something good.
The road into Albert town centre was spectacular!

38d8f756.jpg

The town square/circle in front of the cathedral, also allowed us to have a stunning place to sit and eat our food. By this time my head was doing weird things and the thump-thump of my head seemed to be more at home in the script of Capt’n Sparrow’s movie! More Cataflam-D (skelm’d over from SA on our last trip) mixed with 2 Myprodol’s would have to do the trick while Grizz went for a walk as I relaxed to get the drugs to work.

307f75ae.jpg

Signage for the Museum….

4f4d000d.jpg

After checking out the town, we met a really nice French lady at tourist info, who insisted on walking us around some of the town to find the ever elusive obligatory sticker we needed for our panniers. She also gave us some discount coupons for tickets to the museum, which was our next destination.

6990d0a2.jpg

………….. he’s here….. he’s there…… he’s everywhere……!

8c4a4f18.jpg

1dfafd63.jpg

Some info on the museum..

f6629ce7.jpg

Looking down the stairs towards the bottom entrance to the 13th Century tunnels.

55173afe.jpg

The tunnels have been turned into quite a unique museum. Displays lining the walls which adds to the eerie feel of the place. Having been in the Underground Hospital in Jersey ( the only part of the British Isles to have been occupied by Germany during WW2) – I realised this was not for anyone suffering from claustrophobia and remembered my wife panicking big time, hyperventilating and having to abandon the tour – in a tunnel system 3 times the size of this place.

0f16a4b9.jpg

0a98a0c9.jpg

On the one section there was a small section where a video feed ran with history of the bunker and the surrounding battles. A lot was said about the South Africans and their bravery and stand here…. A lot of respect and mention of them being seen as huge heroes.

A lot of relics are displayed and what became evident was the destruction to the equipment – needless to say this would have been far worse for the human flesh that had no way to stand up against the bombardments, bullets, gas and caltrops that were placed everywhere…

5953f542.jpg

f6bbc454.jpg

70d580b6.jpg

Against the one corner they displayed these two modified bicycles……… as human powered generators. No specific info was available, but we could only wonder whether this was powered by troops or German POW’s – poor sods!

dc87ff03.jpg

The Battle area of the Somme

57d5f083.jpg

Alliances shown during 1914 – note that South West Africa, Cameroon and Togo were allies of Germany…

299f417d.jpg

German offensive and the French counter-offensive – Sept – Nov 1914

5682eb1f.jpg

A button from a German tunic showed that this soldier had faith in God…………. Sad!

ad39e8aa.jpg

Poppy-Day is very well documented and remembered every year on the 11th of November….

2686f196.jpg

Remembrance Day (From Wikipedia)
Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day or Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. This day, or alternative dates, are also recognized as special days for war remembrances in many non-Commonwealth countries. Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918. Hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month," in accordance with the Armistice, signed by representatives of Germany and the Entente between 5:12 and 5:20 that morning. ("At the 11th hour" refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 a.m.) World War I officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28, 1919. [1]
The day was specifically dedicated by King George V on 7 November 1919 as a day of remembrance for members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I. This was possibly done upon the suggestion of Edward George Honey to Wellesley Tudor Pole, who established two ceremonial periods of remembrance based on events in 1917.[2]
The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war.

fc320316.jpg

b91cfe23.jpg

Private William August Smidt from the 8th Bat. SA Infantry (note the German surname) wrote this poignant scroll message…..

2240e353.jpg

Life in the trenches………….

dd54e4e1.jpg

cc77fb56.jpg

3771db2b.jpg

Three helmets that were excavated from what we assume was the same trench…….. German, British & French!

2d87a227.jpg

We ended our tour and found that we totally on the other side of the town. Unbelievable how long the tunnels were – we’d entered the museum right next to the cathedral….. now in the distance!

c77d89cc.jpg

On the road back… we were also told to have a look at this mural that was painted to commemorate the damage the church had suffered.

f74712ed.jpg

e946c7d0.jpg

d21c3f52.jpg

……………….. both of us were now tired and needed a bit of a rest….. we still had some mileage to cover. We left Albert and I think both of us now looked at the countryside with new respect and opened eyes for what happened here.

Our thoughts were still fresh with regard to our museum visit when we happened upon another War Grave Cemetery……….. a big one!

We decided we’d stop here, pay our respects and make this the last. Our emotions in turmoil – we were even more taken aback with this place. Not only due to the mass of headstones, but also due to the wall panels on the perimeter. Each one had names… many names…. As many as a 100 each – mostly names for soldiers that they knew were in the battles…. but that were merely obliterated with nothing left to put with a headstone! We also found quite a few South African names…. from Wakkerstroom, Sutherland……. all were kids!

2bc0e8bd.jpg

658166a8.jpg

118a1f9e.jpg

Most of the rest of the ride was pretty silent……….. it has been a hard day and maybe finally I can have a bit of understanding what my dad went through – although the theatre was different – North Africa must have been something else! The rest of the road however was constantly broken up with War Cemeteries all around us…. large ones, small ones…. and one that was just a large mound where a massive bomb caused a trench to collapse leaving a whole lot of chaps buried. The mound had become their tomb with just a few small flags on top to designate the area.

Soon enough we came to a another small village approximately 2km before we reached Cambrai, called LE PETIT FONTAINE………….and there were boards showing a F1 Hotel…..

3e2165e6.jpg

46a13415.jpg

b277356f.jpg

Pretty houses indeed!

bf731a02.jpg

159c5930.jpg

We found a “Nouveau Restaurant” – brand new – first opening night…. Shame I suppose that the two bikers were not their best choice of clientele – but the owner welcomed us with open arms and promised the very best food.

He was NOT joking………… bliksem it was nice (maybe we were just hungry) and we felt very civilised… if that was at all possible?

461de3f1.jpg

3efdea9f.jpg

2-Course meal with drinks and a tip came to €30.00 – a decent enough amount for top-class food!

9155bccf.jpg

After the meal – rain started and we scarpered back to our hotel. I was still under the influence of this unbelievable headache – surely a left-over from the snoring – so we decided that two separate rooms would be in order…. I was ok sharing a room – but sharing that double bed was not going to happen!

A fairly good night………… and we were going to have a nice early start – destination was now decided as Gent in Belgium!

I’m going to jump the gun as far as the day-report .. simply as this little story is too good to leave until the next instalment!
Breakfast the next morning and we were greeted by Prudence. What a gorgeous girl, friendly as anything and with little English, our communication seemed to be limited by smiles, pointing and some gibberish that one could call communication I suppose!

Well Prudence is a very observant young lady and when she noticed the back of our helmets and saw the Wilddog Paws………. She tried to explain that she too supported and loved the Wilddogs……. Before we could say boo-or-baa …. She whipped her top open and proudly displayed one side of her chest to us………….. WOW!!!! We love the French!!!!

Now neither Grizz and I could stare too much without being labelled as being old perving farts…….. but she was cute and we would want a pic for our report… so I suddenly realised that no self-respecting lady could resist cuddling a Wilddog… hehe………. ran to the bike and whipped out our Wilddog toy………… ooooh’s and aaaaah’s later and she posed making special effort to show off the tattoo :thumb (why was she not there the night before...? :rolleyes:)

Prudence & friend!

4f638f11.jpg

So…. Now I’ll say cool for this part…………… Day 3 to follow!

top verslag

het jy haar telefoon nommer :D

hoekom het jy niebly staan in die aande op Grizz :D

neer modig :thumb

Though I was there and had read these write ups before, I have to say, Peter, You do a great write up.

Now hurry and get the next 15 days written up.:D

Great pics and fab report so far fellas. Sooooo looking forward to my next trip up that way. Time to dust off the panniers again I reckon :thumb

GENT, BELGIUM - Day 3

The previous night there was a substantial amount of rain…. so waking early morning to find everything “sop-nat” was not a revelation. It seems that we were going to be dogged by clouds and rain so we just accepted our fate and decided to make the best of it!

There was however ONE single positive ending to the night – I DID NOT HEAR A SINGLE vibration or a hint of a woodcutter’s snore…. Fantastic! :D

9cd99af6.jpg

As old Grizz posted the pics of us getting packed – I’ll skip that one for now.

Time to leave……….

29dd37d0.jpg

Loved this sign near the F1 Hotel – It seems that you write your vehicle registration on it. This is then attached to your fence/gate or property and your car will be ok to park there..... if the Reg numbers do not match – Mr Plod may fine the offending vehicle. I’d love this type of system outside our home in Cape Town….. always fighting for parking!

47d9df8a.jpg

Our route for the day was pretty basic – from CAMBRAI, FRANCE we’d turn towards BELGIUM where we wanted to route to GENT via a small town called ELLZELLES (I have some old friends that live there) and RONSE.

Map%20-%20Day%203_zpsb7e77503.jpg

Just on the other side of Cambrai, we pulled in for some scenic pics…… the area and towns sure keep your head occupied with everything from cars, trucks, houses and government buildings that have so much character……… makes it a pleasure to ride here!

54c8f998.jpg

031c96a4.jpg

90845073.jpg

Just before crossing the Belgium border…. For a short stop to check the GPS and to take a few snaps.

2fc8ce0b.jpg

570f4725.jpg

This Cathedral was also spectacular………..

742b93bd.jpg

The road behind Grizz was easily 4 or 5km’s long and this road was more like a lane that lead up to the church.
We initially thought it must have been some palace – simply as it was so huge and intimidating!

5cdb2641.jpg

Aaaahhh ………… we’re getting there!

27ddbf92.jpg

………………. It just looks wrong to ride on the right-hand side….!

8ba82394.jpg

Then through some seriously dense forest area….. bliksem it was dark and numerous attempts at taking nice pics just would not work. Too dark for normal pic – and the flash was not playing the game either!

462627fd.jpg

46f6c893.jpg

Finally arrived in ELLEZELLES and decided to stop by a famous Windmill in the area.
Fantastic with some stunning wild flowers in bloom.

2c21aad1.jpg

Period cottage………………

1f43d797.jpg

……………… and some really funky road & place names!

29c03646.jpg

dac62908.jpg

2ebb97a6.jpg

Love this one…………. “The Mill Wild Cat

d8b1fb6d.jpg

Then whilst taking the pics… old Grizz suddenly got off his bike……………. He’d spotted something/someone…. maybe he was just lonely or been on the road too long…or just missing some LUVING :eek:

e096e1e5.jpg

88dd979a.jpg

Culprits…………. They could not wait to get to Grizz……….. hehe… wonder what after-shave he had on?

ef729382.jpg

795bfddd.jpg

………….. it tickles……………. Hehe

16fea496.jpg

Arrived in RONSE…………

e4182035.jpg

Yeah the spelling’s not quite right – but we were constantly reminded of our friend in PE…….. :thumleft:

17ea30d2.jpg

Once we reached the town square – I needed to get to a drinking hole to take more tabs. This head of mine was really nailing me and was now seriously uncomfortable. We noticed this road – but decided that it was not that bad………….

2f9418e9.jpg

……………… we did however find a stockist of some of the best antibiotics and headache cures around – and here old Grizz was contemplating which ones he’d be sampling!

ba3d7e79.jpg

…………… we were really decent with both of us just having coffee’s and a chocolate…… the inside of the pub/brasserie had spectacular tiled-murals on display…

ade3dca0.jpg

Grizz managed to bum a labelled coffee cup for Nicola………

95d8f6a4.jpg

And as soon as he’d explained to the manager that he collected numberplates – the dude left and came back about 10mins later with some old Belgian numberplates as well as an old Motorcycle/Scooter numberplate.. fantastic!

240c3c28.jpg

……………..before hitting the road again, we managed to stop at the local tourism office to get some info on the area.

163c8b40.jpg

……… and then klapped it to get to Gent!

0fa7a1e5.jpg

3fd48965.jpg

The building we parked next to turned out to be a very old guest house from the 12th Century… now used as an Art gallery!

Unbelievable to see the work on the buildings and the cathedrals………….suddenly asking ourselves… erm… what was being created in South Africa during this time period again?

333a8c19.jpg

38af0bd3.jpg

0c16a227.jpg

What we really loved about Gent was the bicycles. LOTS of them – some just normal, others adapted with what looked like a wheelbarrow in front. Double & even triple bikes. Best of all were these ones we saw that had an adaptor on the back. Kids would lock their front wheel into the back of the parent’s bike – and off they went!

Fantastic!!

d4aec307.jpg

…. I have to apologise here as this place just lends itself to pictures being taken.
I’ll just throw a few into the thread without explanations … I’m sure they will speak for themselves!

c744ffe6.jpg

05d4152c.jpg

dafbb470.jpg

833dd0b5.jpg

cf114cf8.jpg

03c38ffc.jpg

How’s THIS for a street name!!! (Street with no hate!)

LOVE IT!!

5c673a19.jpg

e00a9eed.jpg

So evening was drawing to a close and we decided to start looking for a place to eat. After traipsing through many streets and markets – we ended up in
“VrydagMarkPlein” (Friday-Market-Square) where we decided to try out the cuisine at “Le Chat Noir” – the Black Cat!

4c9cbb49.jpg

View from our table!

6d3c3506.jpg

So the menu was presented by a chap called Köksal – a Turk that owns and runs the restaurant. His wife’s the chef/cook and basically Grizz asked him to treat us like his family – in other words – recommend what he thought was good and that we’d enjoy.

So Grizz selected a Spaghetti Bolognaise

42e0df36.jpg

………. And I elected to partake of the Croque-monsieur with a bolognaise sauce over it

7a5bea8a.jpg

Man – oh man………… If I could have licked my plate I would have! It was divine and I used the last bit of my bread to wipe every single drop of sauce from the plate.
Fantastique……….. no other way to describe it.

a26b5e38.jpg

Köksal was also an amazing host and laid on the coffee and chocolates as well as a few Belgian “noses” to eat. His hospitality was honestly the best we’d experienced… so we left with full bellies and an even better mood (with one of his cards for future use!)

451c8633.jpg

b6081201.jpg

cfffab0e.jpg

On the way back to our digs – we experienced one of the nicest sunsets as well……….. considering this was our last night – what better could we have asked for?

8629e075.jpg

bb24d827.jpg

e5e63cfa.jpg

It was then back for a sleep……….. I seriously needed to whack this head and was going to line up a selection of tabs to sort out the head!

Last day and trip back home ………… to follow

"On the way back to our digs – we experienced one of the nicest sunsets as well……….. considering this was our last night – what better could we have asked for?"

How romantic...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great report though..........

"On the way back to our digs – we experienced one of the nicest sunsets as well……….. considering this was our last night – what better could we have asked for?"

:blast ............... seperate rooms....... :pullface

Trust me, at this point, Goose was crying like a baby every night, and I could hear him through the thin walls of the F1 Hotel, telling Jen how much he missed her and what he was going to do to her when he got back to the UK...... truust me, if I were a policeman, I would have considered arresting the man, just to protect the public at large, before he gave it large.

The photo is a bit misleading (well, I hope you believe that :D )but it was a good sunset. Romantic or not.

Another good report Goose.

PS, the moped/bicycle license tag and number plates were probably the highlight of my ride..... as they are rare and not that easy to lay hands on.
I also got lucky the day before in France when we filled up and I asked the manager of the service station about where I could find/buy an old plate..... he disappeared into the workshop and came back with a brand new French number plate.

Gent, Belgium Day 4 - leaving back to the UK
Amazing how quickly time flies when you’re having a good time.
All too soon, morning arrived and that dreaded, final packing of the bike for the trip home…
Still in Gent but we need to get to Calais by 16:00 for the ferry crossing. I for the first time enjoyed a fantastic sleep and no wonder with the drugs in my system.
Grizz and I decided to go back into the centre of Gent to buy some chocolates and go back to the “Chat Noir” for a breakfast.
There were one or two places we wanted to take pics of and we were also keen to go and check out the market that they have in the square!

Bikes parked in front of the restaurant!

30114a99.jpg

Unfortunately it was too early – and no shops/cafés were open – so we merely walked around for a few hours.

c475152f.jpg

e4a92caa.jpg

46c75c1c.jpg

fbdf5525.jpg

Well to say that I’ve been to a few markets before would be an understatement. To say that this market in Gent was the best ever – would also be an understatement……………………….

IT WAS MIND-BLOWING!!

Food, clothing, sweets – you name it………… and affordable quality like I have never seen before……… WOW………. I need another day here !

They have these huge trucks – pull up and the sides convert totally to offer any sort of shop-front that you want.

2b728a32.jpg

0b583144.jpg

7e72f583.jpg

3a3eae30.jpg

ac727705.jpg

c0f05def.jpg

60028159.jpg

c08a16cd.jpg

I suppose it was just as well that we were here on bikes. My Credit card would probably have short-circuited from over-use.
The food stuff was just too nice for words and rather than remain tempted, we decided to take to the road!

(No we’d not forgotten the chocolates……….. in fact we waited patiently for the shop to open, only to find that the Coffee Beans I’d specifically wanted – were sold out! Bugger!!)

All too soon we knew we’d have to start the final leg of the journey.
Mainly as we’d have no clue as to road conditions and we’d need to get to Calais at least an hour before the ferry leaves.
We are also very strict with ourselves and have constantly kept to the speed limits – not being able to afford any altercation with the law.

Final Route – GENT to CALAIS via DUNKIRK – approximately 160km

Day%204%20to%20Clais_zpsb253bffa.jpg

One thing’s for certain…… people here know how to drive!

The 3 lanes available on the freeways are used as they should be. Drivers stay in the far right-hand lane. To overtake you move to the centre lane, do the overtaking manoeuvre and move back to the right lane again. Trucks are NOT allowed in the Fast lane on the extreme left… they are limited to the middle lane, which means that faster vehicles and bikes can have a free run in clear lane to overtake and position yourself without the fear that some horrible twat will hog the fast lane………….

This is something of a pet-hate for me in SA!

The speed limit was mainly 110km/hr with some stretches allowing 120 & 130km/hr. We had total free-running all the way to Calais and apart from very strong cross winds on the stretch from Dunkirk – the road was exceptionally good and pleasant to ride.

We arrived in Calais with time to spare and decided to visit the Cité Europe to do some last minute shopping for the girls.

Just here I nearly lost my mind………… I’m a fanatical cheese lover and could not believe the selection of meat, cheese, chocolates and yummy stuff on offer. I ended up buying €66.00 worth of food and somehow crammed it into the panniers with the spill-over left in a bag and tied onto the back seat.
Grizz and I then bought a fresh sliced French bread with some Emmental cheese, French Salami & Dutch Salami……. We ended up sitting in the middle of the massive mall like two total Bergies – placed an open newspaper on a bench and promptly proceeded in making the biggest and most scrumptious sandwiches you have ever seen.

Already just thinking of the cheese, pâtés and other food is making my mouth water !!!

Needless to say – we got all kind of looks but Grizz is another vark………… he just does not give a toss about what they thought of us! Sherbet – best sarmies ever… those were so nice that after we finished the bread…. I went back and bought another one to take home!

Grizz has some pics here – I was far too busy munching to worry about a silly camera!

Arrived in the P&O Ferry terminal….. only to strike a bonus. They booked us onto the earlier ferry with no additional cost. Bargain as it would give us decent time to get home and sort out the kit.

c9f3df60.jpg

Leaving Calais……………..

3d358240.jpg

f040e4f6.jpg

Arriving in Dover………

69efe385.jpg

The all too famous White Cliffs of Dover!

14cf2786.jpg

We had an hour’s ride back to Rochester where Grizz lives (actually St. Mary’s Hoo) and managed to open the throttle slightly. This time riding on the left-side of the road came easy….. but it’s still a mindset thing!

Arrived back – sorted out the kit and was treated with a nice cup of coffee before forcing myself to get on the bike and do the last 40 miles back home to Petts Wood

94242a90.jpg

Our first ride to Europe turned out far better than I’d hoped it would.

It’s definitely a different type of riding to what I’m used to. People in France & Belgium are extremely bike-friendly and it’s a safe and pleasurable place to explore on two wheels.

The history in Europe is something else……….. they truly value, maintain and remember – not try and destroy everything that “they” did not create. An eye-opener for a Saffer………. also sad as so much of SA’s history is intertwined with Europe……… but not appreciated enough.

Grizz old mate – a huge big thank you for coming with. :thumleft: :thumleft:
It was fun and a moerse learning curve.

Let’s plan the next one!! :thumleft:

Thanks to all you long-suffering readers for my ranting’s with this lengthy post!

I can't wait to get into France on the bike next year, and that report is going to make the wait that much harder.:blast:D

Back
Top Bottom