GPX - All the routes (OK some missing) and most of the passes

hi

Am I being thick again.......I open this in Mapsource and there's no map.....just the routes/waypoints - so you can work out where they are exactly to plan a route.

Great resource if it works. Sounds like I'm the only one with this difficulty??

hi

Am I being thick again.......I open this in Mapsource and there's no map.....just the routes/waypoints - so you can work out where they are exactly to plan a route.

Great resource if it works. Sounds like I'm the only one with this difficulty??

What maps do you have on your computer? These files will only have routes and waypoints so you need a map to put them on so to speak. At the top left of the Mapsource screen there is a box telling you what maps you have selected. What does it say in that box?

John

I have updated the file.

It now includes all the old routes, which were (from memory) all the 100 Virees a moto from Michelin, loads of ADAC routes, stuff lifted / created for Italy and the Alps from various sources, all the Ride routes for Europe (not the UK) as created by leedude06 and whatever other bits'n'bobs i had to hand. I haven't yet added the load of German routes I created / borrowed from Louis.de nor the miles of Korner Koenig routes I have got for Germany. Similarly, I haven't put in the Adriatic routes..... nor even looked at Norway. It is now a very large file which might make some computers running Mapsource and / or BaseCamp a bit unstable and / or take awhile to download, so take care and be a bit patient. It's quite impressive when all of the routes display at once in BaseCamp at high detail on a big monitor screen.

It's currently uploading as a .gbd file from BaseCamp :eek: to Dropbox, which might take a while..... Watch this space..... Done.......

Here you are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/say0ftlwkjvuxsa/Every route (or very nearly).GDB?dl=0

I have downloaded it twice and it seems to work.

Richard

With great help from leedude03 I have updated the master routes file to include routes into the east of Germany, the Baltic Staes and one into Norway.

The file is now really very big, taking several minutes to go up to Dropbox. Again, it's all in a .gbd format, so it should open in BaseCamp or in Mapsouce, though I hear that it's upsetting some computers. On my big Mac, running only BaseCamp it does load properly but it takes a while for the full detailed underlying maps to be displayed. Will I use it every day? No, of course not. Will i add to it? Yes, why not. Could it be used to plot a route near enough anywhere in central Europe? Most definitely. Will it create the 'Best route, mate'? No, of course it won't but it will give anyone some good ideas, for sure.

Cheers,

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5vgad0nlwurqz6/Every route - Updated 22 January 2016.GDB?dl=0

Richard great job, good idea naming it the master file, I will be keeping this file and updating it as and when i have the time, i plan on adding as much to it as i can to cover europe, and as you have said its a great resourse to strip routes from to use for a trip.
I have just loaded it on to a little netbook that has only 2gb of ram and a little dual core 1.6 intel atom and a 500gb hdd, running windows 7 premium 32 bit. When opening basecamp it takes about 20-30 secs, but once open is ok, with mapsource its all but useless.

Excellent work there Richard i am mighty impressed with the knowledge and time this must have taken. That is a fantastic resource Thank you very much. It downloaded quickly and opened in Basecamp just fine even using a windows 10 PC.

Shorty

How did you do it? I have downloaded the file, opened basecamp and gone to file - import, and it is greyed out.
I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't see what.

Thats all i did. Have you got it set to all supported formats bottom rhs of import screen? Sorry but thats about the limit of my knowledge.

Open base camp
got to file top lhs of screen
select import into(pos my collection or what ever folder you have selected)
the next pop up screen will say "import file top lhs"
find were you have downloaded the file to" pos my pc .Downloads
bottom rhs of that screen should be types of files it can open i just set it to "all supported formats"

BigRedUn. Firstly are you using a Mac or PC if its a pc i can help if its a Mac richard is your man. if indeed its a PC first open basecamp and then go to your downloaded file and ensure the file name ends in .gpx, if it does not and it is something like .txt make sure to change it to .gpx now in base camp select your temp filelist, if its not selected select it and ensure its empty no routes or waypoints . now all you need to do is drag and drop your downloaded file into the empty window, the one on the left the bottom window. let us know if that worked, also remember its a big file so may take a while to load. once its loaded you can rename it and move it about inside basecamp and put it in its own folder.

Shortywilliam, thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.

Leedude, I am using a pc, with windows 10. I cannot download and then open the file. If I right click on the link it comes up with a dropbox page and the option to download. When I download it seems to go ok, but then asks me to select an app from the app store to open it with. It is a .gpd file not .gpx but I cannot get far enough to try to change the suffix.
I might have assumed this was all windows 10 related, but Shortywilliam has commented that he got it to work with ten.

Bigredun sorry I presumed you would be on win 7, not to worry I take it you are using the edge browser and its default settings(you have not altered the download options) if correct, go to the windows icon bottom left on the task bar, left click and go to file explorer
left click that and a new window will open, in there you should see a folder called downloads this pc open that double left click and the file should be in there. Now if you drag and drop it as the instructions above it should work, no need to change the file name if its .gdb, it should work.
Also as above post it may take a while to open, in my previouse post I said open temp file list in base camp, you may not have that but you will have unlisted data if correct use the unlisted data list.
Let us know the outcome.

Leedude, you've cracked it. It only took a couple of seconds to transfer too. Now I can spend time out riding the bike instead of fretting over Basecamp :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom