GSA realistic range?

The new uprated fuel strips are as bad as the old ones

Yep, used that trick a couple of times.
Keep in mind that with the broken fuel strip the overflow pump runs constantly.

I have one of those dutch converters... but works only if the tank is basically full (gives the pumps a rest at least).
Planning to remove the float, the converter, and experiment with the updated strips soon.

Seeing as there’s considerable knowledge on this forum, what Dutch conversion?

Or, is there a way cancel the flashing fuel light and presumably the constant overflow pump without installing a new fuel strip/float conversion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This dutch guy used to sell a little converter that could be used to replace the fuel strip with a float. The little converter would "translate" the float signal to those of a strip before it reaches the ECU.
They are no longer sold.

It works if the tank is full. It shows full tank. Works(ish) until a bit over half a tank of fuel, but then it goes back to signal empty.
It is still a small improvement over having the bike saying empty all the time, as that would keep all the pumps spinning at maximum speed.

Denzo, of this parish, can do a better strip to float conversion. There is a very detailed thread about it.
I spoke with him more than one year ago about it, but work got in the way at the time and I ended up not doing the job.

My GSA has been without a clear fuel indication for more than 5 years now. I still travel up and down Europe a couple of times a year without issue.

As said, the only problem is the increased fuel consumption when on the motorway at higher speeds, because of the extra consumption due to wind resistance.
In my case the bike is... cough... cough... not exactly stock, and this extra fuel consumption is even worse.
For this reason I tend to fuel a bit more often (still over 200 miles) in those cases.

Denzo thread: https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/fuel-strip-to-float-conversion-complete-guide.302913/

The converter I mentioned above:
davis53_Fuel%2520strip_zpsbi7ejvps.jpg

Or, is there a way cancel the flashing fuel light and presumably the constant overflow pump without installing a new fuel strip/float conversion
From what I remember there is another dongle that would prevent the bike to go into fuel reserve mode, tricking the ECU of always having a full tank.
Not sure it is worth it.

It’s a bike with a 33 litres fuel tank…
I think one can manage with the trip meter and no additional bling :D
Don't get me wrong, but that sort of comment makes me wonder why we should stop to help a fellow biker in the roadside. I mean, if for whatever reason you've ended up being stranded with no fuel, personally I'm now thinking I need to check (if I when decided to pull over) if you're one of those "fuck that, I just need my credit card" types before I offer you some of my spare fuel/compressor/puncture kit/tools/etc etc.

Yes. There's bling! We get that. And yes, we all see some twats out there doing the Starbucks run fully laden. The post was a reasonable question, that has mostly had good, helpful responses.

But really, I'm tired of this stuff. Extra fuel on the bike is not bling - depending on where you're going. Surely. No?

And ps. Mr Er-minio, i had you down as one of the more grounded ones in here! Porca miseria!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Aha! Fair!

I admit I am a bit (more than a bit) biased towards a lot of the accessories people buy/put on the bikes. :)

I do travel with some tools, a small compressor and plug my own tyres if needed (and, as it happened once, stranded people’s tyres).

I never felt the need to travel (in Europe) with extra petrol cans strapped to the bike. On road and offroad. This both when my fuel gauge was working and when it stopped doing so.

I’d honestly feel a bit ridiculous using extra fuel on a bike that is, essentially, a massive fuel tank on wheels.

I think I might have covered 30 or close to 40k miles without the fuel gauge. I got stranded three times, all three around home, and all three times I knew I was “pushing it” fuel-wise.
Last time I was running for a fuel station and missed jt by 2 miles :)

Last… I’m not the most law abiding rider out there, I admit, but always keep an eye about the safety and legality of external fuel storage cans (honestly don’t know about the ones in the pic). I can tell you, in Italy, petrol in a bottle is not always easily tolerated by the police if they check.

In short: I don’t see the need. Even with a malfunctioning fuel gauge :)

But to each their own!

Puky's tipping the bike tip is a good one.

Not just this GS model - most bikes have a 'saddle' style tank and are potentially prone to ending up with some fuel stranded on the wrong side.

It's worth knowing which side of the tank your bike draws from.

Although my GSA TC has a float which seems OK, I make a habit of refuelling at 300 miles, which has been relaible to date.

Has anyone tried re-calibrating their own fuel strip with a GS911?

Noticed the facility on it but didn't know if it was worth it.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried re-calibrating their own fuel strip with a GS911?

Noticed the facility on it but didn't know if it was worth it.

Not yet, but I watched a video on YouTube posted by Jimmy2Tea’s who changed the strip and after several attempts calibrated it using a 911

Not yet, but I watched a video on YouTube posted by Jimmy2Tea’s who changed the strip and after several attempts calibrated it using a 911

I don't think you need to change the strip. Just get it out of the tank and make sure it is completely dry before re calibrating it.

I got fed up with replacing fuel strips and tried a float conversion which hasn't worked either (long story but my ZFE appears to be an earlier version missing one of the 2 required settings for the conversion to work), so decided to rely on the trip range. I have deliberately run my 2010 GSA dry on 2 occaisons to see what range I get (mixed rural riding, no cities, no motorways) and both time it conked out at 374 miles. After filling up I estimated there were around 3 litres left in the tank. I did conk out once on a Spanish motorway after only 300ish miles although I had been doing 85-90 with full luggage - I found that leaning the bike right over to the left a couple of times did transfer enough fuel across to get me going and off the motorway to a fuel station.​

Edit: dunno why this post is in bold but I cant seem to remove the formatting

I succeeded with conversion to float in my early built 2010 R1200GSA despite the software in my motorcycle was lacking coding for "INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR" but It doesn't seem to matter in my case.
I just changed "Thermo Coupler FLS 08" to "Potentiometer", swop the pins in the ZFE and my new float sensor worked immediately. Everything is described in "Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide" However, I had to mechanically adjust the float so that it gave the correct value and did not catch the transfer hose. All the information is in that thread.
Kind regards from Sweden
(Edit: With float conversion at 290 miles the low fuel light came on and I could fill the tank with 26,75L, about 6L left, so total range is 290+60=350miles on this average speed trip)

Last edited:
I've had as little as 280 miles and as much as 467 miles.
Personally I think these things need a working fuel guage.
The new updated ones are supposed to last. I'd get one fitted. Each to their own I suppose.
I've heard it said that the fuel pump works harder when the fuel level is low, not sure how true this is.but it could end up doing more costly damage if true.
And I find the low fuel warning a pain in the eyesight.

Btw I've had 11 strip's fitted.thelast one has lasted 2 years so far though.

An update on my old thread
After a month of riding, watching the trip, and once forgetting to zero it after filling up, I’ve bitten the bullet

My local independent fitted a new strip. £140 for the part and 60 quid to fit it.
The strip is warranted for 2 years.

He did advise me to brim the tank if I store it over winter for example.
He reckons the strips dry out and fail

300 miles is my target to start looking for a petrol station. Had my 09 gsa over 10 years and not run out of fuel yet!! I've tried the conversion to float with ecu repinning and it's not really working for me, tried the Probeemer convertor and again didn't really work for me. May pin it back to standard and try a new allegedly modified strip but until then 300 is my go to.

Back
Top Bottom