Thanks for your very detailed and helpful post. I am a bit dim, so please forgive me but does 'Tractive ride in/out mean he supplies and fits fits them for the ballpark price you mention? Thank you.
That's right.
Costs were as follows:
Rear ex-change pro £1,019
Front ex-perience £958
Labour £245
Plus VAT.
Ride in day 1 and drop off. Changed into civies & left my bike gear there. 10 minute walk to the train station.
Came back the following week to pick it up as they need time to remove, do the swap (see below), refit and test.
He sent back to me FOC my working front shock which I will recoup some £ selling it.
I spoke with Luke about the getting the full rear option with the Tractive automatic preload adjuster which is an additional £500, but his view was if the OE BMW unit is working fine continue to use it (that's why this is an exchange option as it reuses it) and if that unit fails at some point in the future I'll go back and get the Tractive preload adjuster (EP2) retrospectively added when it replaces the BMW unit. The ride is the same either way and in his mind it wasn't worth doing it now as those units don't fail like clockwork at specific milage.
Also for reference as great questions are being asked and my intent was to make this as informative as possible for others that find themselves in the position I was in .... I spoke to Tractive directly to get their view on what spring rates I might want. They advised one spring rate for a touring bike that is slightly softer accommodating 2-up/luggage and one up for a more sportier solo ride based on my 71Kg plus gear baseline. I had the same discussion with Luke and based on my needs things were set up for a sportier ride.