Happy Sunday Morning!

Trilogy2k

2019 KTM Duke 790, 2019 R1250GSA
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum after it being reccommended to me by an existing friend/member.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a GS in my life after discussing various adventure plans between myself an another friend who is in a similar situation. Our plan is to ride from Hertfordshire down to southern Spain to meet up with our respective families who will fly out on their holiday, but prior to that I've always wanted to do the NC500 - so that'd be the opener for me.

Coming late-ish to the biking scene (been riding since 2017) and on my second bike (KTM Duke 790), and although I love it to bits it's not really the kind of machine on which to do such journeys.

So I'll be perusing the forums from now on - reading all the stories, tips, pitfalls etc as well as trying to secure a TE (possible from here) in the next couple of months!

Cheers
Dean

Welcome Dean!
The NC500 will be a delight on a GS :)
I considered vaious Jap bikes (Tenere, Africa Twin) as well as a Multistrada but I just love the look of the Beemer, oh and there's all that heritage to go with it too..!

Welcome Dean!
The NC500 will be a delight on a GS :)
I'd be riding up to the start in one day (400 odd miles) before commencing. Figure it'd take me 5-6 days in total, but who knows!

Welcome aboard. I'd not write off your KTM as a tool for the NC500. People do it (and the run north to it) on much smaller bikes than that. This is a GS forum but I've yet to see anyone drummed out for not riding one!

I'd be riding up to the start in one day (400 odd miles) before commencing. Figure it'd take me 5-6 days in total, but who knows!
Welcome Dean

Re 'the start', don't get too fixated on that IF it better suits you to begin the trip somewhere else (SW corner of the loop for example) The 'route' has been there for decades, just looped and labelled the NC500 by someone a few years back.

Welcome Dean

Re 'the start', don't get too fixated on that IF it better suits you to begin the trip somewhere else (SW corner of the loop for example) The 'route' has been there for decades, just looped and labelled the NC500 by someone a few years back.
I've done a little bit of investigation already, and Inverness for me would be more ideal as it's on the southerly side, so I could get a good nights kip before setting off.

Welcome aboard. I'd not write off your KTM as a tool for the NC500. People do it (and the run north to it) on much smaller bikes than that. This is a GS forum but I've yet to see anyone drummed out for not riding one!
I did consider it, and I've ridden my Duke down to Exmoor on a few occasions (about 200 miles one way) and although really enjoytable it was plenty enough for me on a naked! I'd now like to try something that affords me the protection of windblast as well as cruise control for the long motorway stints before the fun bits..

I agree with you. I haven't had a GS since late 2018.

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't had much experience on a larger (in every sense of the word) motorcycle, and if 790 being the largest bike yet, then I’d suggest you try the GS before you buy one, for size and weight, just to make sure it is manageable for you to be comfortable and remain if full control of it. They are much taller than 790 and certainly heavier too…

Back
Top Bottom