Has anyone had an oil leak like this?

midnicrow

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good day all!

This is a 2009 HP2 Sport with 4000 miles I bought a couple of months ago. I noticed the stains on the exhaust before . I just changed the oil for the first time today. The oil that came out looked pretty bad. I believe that the new oil being cleaner makes the leak more noticable. Has anyone had this happen? Any solutions? It seems to be a relatively slow leak. However, I will try tightening those bolts. Any tips or solutions will be appreciated. Thank you

I made a short video but I can’t seem to upload. So I just took a screen shot.

Thanks again.

IMG_1316.jpegIMG_1316.jpeg

Check the top of the engine block around the alternator, see if it is wet with oil.

The 1200 air cooled engines can sometimes develop a leak on the right hand top of the engine from the oil temperature sender which has an alloy washer that can corrode. This lets oil puddle on top of the engine which then runs down the left side of the engine when the bike is on the side stand (kick stand).

They can also develop a leak at the joint between the cylinder barrel and the engine block.

Its not easy to tell from a photograph, sorry.

Check the top of the engine block around the alternator, see if it is wet with oil.

The 1200 air cooled engines can sometimes develop a leak on the right hand top of the engine from the oil temperature sender which has an alloy washer that can corrode. This lets oil puddle on top of the engine which then runs down the left side of the engine when the bike is on the side stand (kick stand).

They can also develop a leak at the joint between the cylinder barrel and the engine block.

Its not easy to tell from a photograph, sorry.
Yes, I will take off fairing and clean up the area and trace the source. I’ll take pictures. Thank you for the input!

Seems like it is a leak of gearbox oil. The of I used was Motul which is red. And the hydraulic oil from clutch is blue. Cleaned up the area and looked again and it is a slow leak. Opened up the hole on the gear box and the level was slighly lower than the hole. Tonight when I get home will open it up again and top it off. Will take pics and post soon.

Thank you for all your input. However after doing youtube research, I believe it to be the seals on the counterweight shaft and possibly the output shaft to the clutch. I have verified the transmission oil level on multiple occasions since my first post and it is at the proper level. The videos show how these seals weep oil. It is a pretty straightforward fix, lol, will post pics once I begin the teardown and removal of clutch housing. Check out the R1200GS videos on the subject, many good ones with step by step instruction on how to change the seals. Have a good week!

I have had an issue last year with gearbox oil dripping on the exhaust system.
It ran down from the breather plug. Looked a bit similar to your photos...
After some research I found that, at some point, BMW corrected the filling quantity from originally 0.9L (repair manual 2009) to 0.7L afterwards. Also the filling level for the FD Bevel Gearbox was reduced from 0.22L to 0.18L.
Also, I noticed that the gearbox breather plug has a new part number. I replaced it as well.

How much gearbox oil did you fill in? Could it have been overfilled?

From the 2009 repair manual... It's now 0.7L & 0.18L respectively.
1709038798564.png

1709038989752.png
1709039030836.png

If you think it is a leaking balancing shaft or gearbox input shift, remove the starter motor and check the flywheel area with an endoscope.

Best of luck with the repair!

After some research I found that, at some point, BMW corrected the filling quantity from originally 0.9L (repair manual 2009) to 0.7L afterwards. Also the filling level for the FD Bevel Gearbox was reduced from 0.22L to 0.18L.
Also, I noticed that the gearbox breather plug has a new part number. I replaced it as well.

View attachment 308331

View attachment 308333
View attachment 308334

If you think it is a leaking balancing shaft or gearbox input shift, remove the starter motor and check the flywheel area with an endoscope.

Hi! Yes my gearbox is filled to the edge of the filler hole per the manual as you showed. You are right. I have cleaned the area before rides and I see the oil flowing down along the seal. I will post pics again.

Endoscope hmm don’t have one of those but is a great idea. I do have one of those wireless ear cameras. Haha maybe Ill tie it to a string a drop it in there.
Thanks!

View attachment 308331

View attachment 308333
View attachment 308334

Gearbox breather plug, Ill look for that.

Back
Top Bottom