How do I protect for the winter?

Poncherello

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got a query on winterising (is that a word?!) my 2019 1250 GS. I’ve always had fully faired bikes until my purchase a few months ago..
I commute on it…and will happily ride in anything except lying snow (pussy yep).
I’d greatly appreciate suggestions on products and areas to focus on so that when I reach next summer it’s still a pearler.
If it also means buying a few add ons to deflect some of the worst, no issue - but there’s loads of bolt ons (strap ons?) out there and I don’t want to spend for the sake of it..

Thanks in advance..

Everyone will scream ACF50 at you .. and its brilliant for your winter riding. Also of course a Mudsling for your rear end and one for your front .. just keeps most of the winter shit off your pride and joy so as you say come the spring and all is well. You may well find some advertised here on the forum. Enjoy.

Regular FS365 and ACF50 or similar on known weak spots - wash and reapply every weekend - this is a minimum requirement to keep it in good condition. If bike gets wet on salty roads re-apply FS365 once bike has cooled after every such ride.

Actually I got fed up with regular ACF 50 as it gets into places I didnt want it so I resorted to the Grease version and apply it with a paint brush putting a thin smear everywhere it needs it and as it doesn't leech everywhere I fid it much better

Plus a single pot ( a bit like that tin of copper slip we all have) will last a lifetime and it is multi purpose !

This is the stuff

Actually I got fed up with regular ACF 50 as it gets into places I didnt want it so I resorted to the Grease version and apply it with a paint brush putting a thin smear everywhere it needs it and as it doesn't leech everywhere I fid it much better

Plus a single pot ( a bit like that tin of copper slip we all have) will last a lifetime and it is multi purpose !

This is the stuff

Thanks I’ve ordered some- which areas would I focus on and is there merit in some more liberal application in certain areas?

I used ACF50 on my K1600 for the past 2 Winters but I found it really messy & a bit of a ball ache all in all. I’m on a 1250 now & I’ve been a little alarmed at the stories on the forum about how badly they can fare through a Winter.
I’ve been building up my resolve to crack on soon with the ACF50 in preparation for the coming Winter when I saw an ad in a free biking magazine for a company near me who detail bikes either at your home or they can collect & return. They are coming to detail my GS on Monday & Winterise it with XCP.
We’ll see how it goes on Monday! I’ll get some before & after shots to post.

I used ACF50 on my K1600 for the past 2 Winters but I found it really messy & a bit of a ball ache all in all. I’m on a 1250 now & I’ve been a little alarmed at the stories on the forum about how badly they can fare through a Winter.
I’ve been building up my resolve to crack on soon with the ACF50 in preparation for the coming Winter when I saw an ad in a free biking magazine for a company near me who detail bikes either at your home or they can collect & return. They are coming to detail my GS on Monday & Winterise it with XCP.
We’ll see how it goes on Monday! I’ll get some before & after shots to post.
Ah yes I’ll look forward to seeing that

Plenty of advice in this vid, both on which products are best, but just as important how to prep your bike before and how to apply it (spoiler alert, your bike must be clean and dry before you apply. Sounds obvious but if it isn't your bike will corrode underneath the protection layer)

Buy a winter hack....
Totally agree. If you ride all year round leave the shinny expensive machine in the garage unless you have time to clean, blow dry and detail after every salty Winter ride.

Vote for a winter bike here too. Got a 21 year old Pan ST1100 with 78,000 miles, 6th winter this year. Ride, wash, ride wash…..repeat.

TD
“Travelling Pan Style”

Well, I'm going to buck the trend on the use of ACF50, or at least, to qualify it.

Anyone thinking plastering it on your bike will protect it sufficiently may be in for a disappointment. I ride year round and none of my bikes have escaped degredation in winter as salter roads play havoc with any exposed metalwork, and particularly with engine casings where modern water based paints might be used. Yes, it will work for a short while, but unless you're prepared to wash your bike off at the end of the day, inspect and reapply as necessary, it won't protect as well as other products, at least not in the parts exposed to gravel, mud and other debris sprayed up by the wheels onto those areas prone to damage through pin holing of paintwork etc.

I still use ACF50 and liberally coat all exposed fastenings and metal parts as well as engine casings, electrical wioring connections andareas not exposed to damage from road debris. However, by far the better winter protection is given by the liberal application of Lanoguard or XCP rust blocker. Both dry to form a thicker skin than ACF so offer better impact protection against paint damage. Both last longer between reapplications (typically I only need to apply Lanoguard twice over the winter months and when I used XCP, I found with regular bike use, I used to have to re-apply sparingly every 8 weeks or so).

As my bike's sump area and underside of main engine casings are already exhibiting paint bubbling, as are the areas surrounding the header pipe fixing to the cylinder heads, I will be far more liberal in the Lanoguard application and repeat applications regularly there until a good thick coating has built up. Later next year I aim to remove the flaking paint, kill the corrosion and use simple good old Hammerite on the underside which gives far better protection than the useless paint finished bike manufacturers are forced into using these days, but still will use Lanoguard in winter.

Main thing is if you ride salted roads and fail to wash your bike off every single ride, you will inevitably end up with some corrosion. I've ridden year round for over 35 years and in all that time haven't found a single wonder product that guarantees immunity to corrosion unless these steps are followed.

I’m on my 6th modern era (2005 onwards) and have found that there is no better way to protect the bike than regular (at least once a week) thorough wash and reapplication of whatever product you use. As said before even with the protection gunk, wash bike after every ride on salty roads - it is the only way of keeping the bike pristine. If you aren’t prepared to do that get a Winter hack.

I find washing/cleaning my bikes cathartic & at minimum I rinse my bike off after a wet ride in Winter. I regularly wash it too. Recently I got hold of a dog drier that groomers use from a charity shop & I use that to blast water out of the nooks & crannies.
A Winter hack would be ideal but it’s our 35th wedding anniversary soon & I’d like to see a good few more!
So I’m hoping with a professionally detailed bike with XCP applied properly & my rinsing off/wash dry regime my GS will get through Winter without disappearing into a pile of rust!
Watch this space!

The great thing about xcp (non clear coat version) is that it's so sticky and attracts so much dirt that if you leave it on it hides any corrosion...

:hide

warning about ACF50 and stupid mechanics
i had my bike MOT done and got advisory's on it for leaking fork seals.... i could see nothing?
It was already booked in at Williams BMW for its service (had to MOT Sooner as i was riding around Europe)
when i got back and took my bike for its service, i mentioned the fork seals.
The BMW mechanic said there was nothing wrong with them and suggested the MOT station had mistaken ACF50 as a leak!
im fuming now, because when i come to sell the bike someone can see the MOT and ask for the invoice for the repair... which i dont have!

Dickheads!

I find washing/cleaning my bikes cathartic & at minimum I rinse my bike off after a wet ride in Winter. I regularly wash it too. Recently I got hold of a dog drier that groomers use from a charity shop & I use that to blast water out of the nooks & crannies.
A Winter hack would be ideal but it’s our 35th wedding anniversary soon & I’d like to see a good few more!
So I’m hoping with a professionally detailed bike with XCP applied properly & my rinsing off/wash dry regime my GS will get through Winter without disappearing into a pile of rust!
Watch this space!
Yes a blow dryers is essential so you don't put the bike away wet.

warning about ACF50 and stupid mechanics
i had my bike MOT done and got advisory's on it for leaking fork seals.... i could see nothing?
It was already booked in at Williams BMW for its service (had to MOT Sooner as i was riding around Europe)
when i got back and took my bike for its service, i mentioned the fork seals.
The BMW mechanic said there was nothing wrong with them and suggested the MOT station had mistaken ACF50 as a leak!
im fuming now, because when i come to sell the bike someone can see the MOT and ask for the invoice for the repair... which i dont have!

Dickheads!
Can't you ask them for a fresh MOT without the advisories at no cost, pointing out it was their error? My local MOT place always checks by running a rag down each fork leg then compressing front forks and then checking for leaks. I tell them prior to MOT that I've ACF'd the forks.

Watch this space!
My GS was detailed today by Andy from The Moto Studio. He arrived at 9 & finished at 3.30. I went for a full Winter package with everything below the stands ceramic & XCP’d, 3 stage paint correction with graphene on the tank & bodywork, screen (he got all the whirls out of that). XCP was airbrushed on & nuts/bolts etc brushed on. £250 in all. It looks great-better than when I picked it up from Chandlers, Brighton.

BEFORE

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0445.jpeg