Impressions From A Train In Spain... South-West From Zaragoza

Kitsilano

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240104_120509_edit_58913170852357.jpg

Travelling by fast (300km/h) train from Seville to Barcelona this morning I noticed some dramatic hills/valleys scenery to the south-West of Zaragoza which seems to be ideal territory for a wide range off off-roading, or 'green laning' (tinted brown).

This may already be widely-held knowledge on the forum but if not, this hilly/low mountainous region of Aragon seems to hold the promise of riding delight on trails and roads alike.

Like Wales, but with a different accent...

Zaragoza is a beautiful city have stayed there a few times.
Always in Ibis Central with access to the old town via a very scenic bridge.
Love the narrow streets of the old town with the vibrant wine bars.

As for the valleys south west i dare say its beautiful, the roads seem minor around Codos. Further south the CM-2105 in the Parque Natural De La Serrania De Cuenca between Huelamo and Villalba de la Sierra looks fantastic.

Business or pleasure trip?
My wife has lost the urge to tour on the bike now and we have talked about doing a lengthy tour around Spain by train.

Business or pleasure trip?
My wife has lost the urge to tour on the bike now and we have talked about doing a lengthy tour around Spain by train.
Mark, this journey is for pleasure but a fast train is being used only to achieve (literally) 'whistle stop' experiences of several cities, after a week at a beach-side apartment in La Calle Di Mijas, south of Malaga. (Flying into Malaga and out of Barcelona on a sort of '12 Days of Christmas' break!)

And like you, my curiosity with Spain is piqued by these visits.

I am intrigued by the possibilities in this book, which may also serve your purpose... It's now a sort of plan.

For self-help in starting any "what rail passes are best for us?" discussions, spend some time here:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_223328_edit_81958704109115.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_223328_edit_81958704109115.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240104_223626_edit_82158791485434.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_223626_edit_82158791485434.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15

Amen to that.
One of my first (long) trips by motorbike was around Spain in 2003. Zaragoza was a pleasant discovery. Amazing food, sleepy town, beautiful surroundings.

Thanks for the book/site recommendation, as a nervous flyer I will treasure it.

Mark, this journey is for pleasure but a fast train is being used only to achieve (literally) 'whistle stop' experiences of several cities, after a week at a beach-side apartment in La Calle Di Mijas, south of Malaga. (Flying into Malaga and out of Barcelona on a sort of '12 Days of Christmas' break!)

I am intrigued by the possibilities in this book, which may also serve your purpose... It's now a sort of plan.

For self-help in starting any "what rail passes are best for us?" discussions, spend some time here:

Coincidentally just recently read “Slow Trains Around Spain” Highly recommended.

View attachment 299147

Travelling by fast (300km/h) train from Seville to Barcelona this morning I noticed some dramatic hills/valleys scenery to the south-West of Zaragoza which seems to be ideal territory for a wide range off off-roading, or 'green laning' (tinted brown).

This may already be widely-held knowledge on the forum but if not, this hilly/low mountainous region of Aragon seems to hold the promise of riding delight on trails and roads alike.

Like Wales, but with a different accent...
Hmm. Wife loves a train journey…

And Wapping’s idea of Train out and fly in, sound great.

My wife and I are looking at perhaps a 14 day rail pass over a month and seeing what europe by train has to offer.

Took the train from Lincoln to Barcelona via London & Paris a few years ago. Left Lincoln 8am and sat eating in a Barcelona restaurant by 10pm.
Need to go to Lithuania at some point in coming months and plan is to fly there then train back to UK.

Need to go to Lithuania at some point in coming months and plan is to fly there then train back to UK.
There is a change of train required just outside of the border with Poland (before the "hot potato" that is Suwalki Gap) in a tiny tiny place called Mockava. a little bit of a pain, but doable. Plenty of YouTubers have done this journey and recorded it to.
When Rail Baltica Project finally (it only just started) does get completed, then there will be no need for this change over anymore, as one would be able to travel seamlessly to the Baltics, as once can do to Turkey and so on.

There is a change of train required just outside of the border with Poland (before the "hot potato" that is Suwalki Gap) in a tiny tiny place called Mockava. a little bit of a pain, but doable. Plenty of YouTubers have done this journey and recorded it to.
When Rail Baltica Project finally (it only just started) does get completed, then there will be no need for this change over anymore, as one would be able to travel seamlessly to the Baltics, as once can do to Turkey and so on.
Was reading about this change earlier today. Seems pretty simple. Also read that the train fare from Vilnius to Warsaw is less than £40!

As for the valleys south west i dare say its beautiful, the roads seem minor around Codos. Further south the CM-2105 in the Parque Natural De La Serrania De Cuenca between Huelamo and Villalba de la Sierra looks fantastic.
I'll have to try there. I stayed in Catalayud last summer.

Was reading about this change earlier today. Seems pretty simple. Also read that the train fare from Vilnius to Warsaw is less than £40!
Yep, Travel on the continent by rail is:

1. A doddle
2. Sometimes cheaper than a month worth of Netflix subs.
3. No border control and all of the associated malarkey.

PS: there is a new route from Vilnius to Riga (Latvia) by Train. Worth a shot, even as a day trip if you leave early and get back late.

get the night train from Paris to Andorra > Latour de Carol, local train to Barcelona, onward to Tarragona and Falset, to the Priorat, great area and super wine

Up until 2018 I held off road events around Teruel, a bit further east from your window view. The landscape, trails and roads are unbelievable and I spent at least one month each year for five years exploring, eventually 'mapping' about 4,500 kms of trail routes including road
road links and some repetition to avoid difficult sections for novice riders.
I still go back every year and probably always will ..

Up until 2018 I held off road events around Teruel, a bit further east from your window view. The landscape, trails and roads are unbelievable and I spent at least one month each year for five years exploring, eventually 'mapping' about 4,500 kms of trail routes including road
road links and some repetition to avoid difficult sections for novice riders.
I still go back every year and probably always will

Every time I drive through Spain I thank you for opening my eyes to the beautiful country.
Happy new year Simon ( and Polly )(y)(y):clap

Many thanks. Just ordered the book 👍

Many thanks. Just ordered the book 👍
Mark, It's my pleasure - every plan starts with a dream!

I hope that this helps to realise yours, for Spain. And more...

(Of course, I hope that your Missus likes the idea, too!)

Back
Top Bottom