Interphone comms questions: Volume, Helmet interchangeability, overall user friendliness of wireless kits VS hardwired.

PIGGLET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an intercom and I have been looking at Interphone as they are a UK based company. My only experience has been with Autocom in the past which actually worked well for me and I liked the idea of all the kit being attached to and powered by the bike. I'm not really keen on stuff being stuck to the outside of a helmet but it's looking like that's going to be the only way to go with the new systems.

With that in mind, how easy are they to swap between helmets as I have a few. Do you just install a headset in each helmet and swap the comms unit on the side between helmets?

Also, what is the volume like on the newer stuff? I mainly use a tour X with earplugs, with the autocom a simple inline amp gave plenty of volume. How do the modern intercoms deal with both a noisy lid and earplugs?

I've noticed autocom are still producing wired systems, does anyone still use their latest stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Hi i have cardo packtalk, volume is ok say up to 70 mile per hour. But you must get the speakers in the correctly position its critical. And the distance between bikes is never as good as cardo claim. Just buy a spare fitting kit for second helmet. Would I go back to Autocom No, despite limited distance that cardo works. If its just between you and pillion then all good

I have an Interphone Tour kit which comes with two units. Yes the unit can be swapped between helmets but you will need an internal set of ear pieces and a microphone for each helmet along with a mounting plate that stays permanently attached too, thereafter you just clip the unit on to the helmet and plug it in.

Volume wise my wife can never hear me above about 30 mph, however I think a lot of that is due to the fact she won't wear ear plugs and the wind noise drowns it out. It is supposed to be compatible with any other blue tooth comms system i.e. you can connect up to a mates system and chat to them up to a few Kms away. I never been able to get it to do this, but I think that's more down to me and my mates total lack of tech savvy than the unit it's self.

I never use the radio or phone connections as it's way too complicated and impossible to operate any of the controls with gloves on trying to fathom out which of the eight buttons you need to blindly push on the side of your head whilst riding a bike. I also find even switching both units on and pairing them up to be a real faff never mind the absolutely impossible task of trying to pair them to the bike / TFT / phone / sat nav or whatever else.

Many of my issues are down to me being impatient and having no tech ability or understanding of the instructions or how the things actually work, no doubt there are ways or increasing volume etc but I can't work it out at all.

I'm not knocking the unit but the setting up and operating of these things in general is too complicated for daily use so mine only get used for rider to pillion comms on a long run as i'm not clever enough to work out how to make it do the numerous other functions it is supposedly capable of.

Prior to going wireless I too had a hard wired auto com system and it was faultless and crystal clear at any speed, for me going for the modern solution was a step backwards as opposed to simply plugging in a lead and being good to go in seconds, it's now a case of; make sure both units are fully charged, clip on to the helmet mounting plate and plug in the lead. Next you have to power up the units, set to pairing mode, place the other unit next to it so it can identify and link to it thereafter it's a game of watching flashing lights and pushing buttons until they finally link up, add in linking it to the bike, phone or sat nav etc and in my case I would have been at my destination before I'd have figured any of it out.

In summary; I have found it a waste of money as it's too complicated to set up every time you go out on the bike and unless you are a technical whizz you will never actually get it do do anything that it's supposedly capable of doing.

I'm not knocking the Interphone brand as I suspect they all operate on a similar level but if moving from an Auto Com you will probably find any of these wireless comms gadgets a complete and utter faff that in the end doesn't get used as it's too complicated to set up every time you jump on the bike.

Just to repeat; I am a complete tech numpty with no patience or understanding of these things so no doubt others on here can give a more positive view.

Last edited:
I'm in the market for an intercom and I have been looking at Interphone as they are a UK based company. My only experience has been with Autocom in the past which actually worked well for me and I liked the idea of all the kit being attached to and powered by the bike. I'm not really keen on stuff being stuck to the outside of a helmet but it's looking like that's going to be the only way to go with the new systems.

With that in mind, how easy are they to swap between helmets as I have a few. Do you just install a headset in each helmet and swap the comms unit on the side between helmets?

Also, what is the volume like on the newer stuff? I mainly use a tour X with earplugs, with the autocom a simple inline amp gave plenty of volume. How do the modern intercoms deal with both a noisy lid and earplugs?

I've noticed autocom are still producing wired systems, does anyone still use their latest stuff?

Thanks in advance.
I’m an Interphone user of many years.
They are an Italian brand, which have an importer in the UK.
Personally I won’t be buying any more, the best unit was the tour model, stable coms and a superb battery capacity. I used to get 2.5 days out of a charge.
I then got an Avant which was a 2 chip system and has never really worked as well as the older systems.
Then I tried one of the U systems which are rubbish. Sent it back in the end.
You’ll not get the same volume and quality as a wired system
As for changing helmets, it’s as you describe.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Sounds like interphone is best avoided then.

I suppose the pros of the wireless stuff is that whatever bike you hop on it goes with you so better for hired bike tours or if you have a few bikes. Just grab your lid and go.

It's primarily only two bikes that I would like comms for so wired is perfectly feasible.

I'm also a bit of a technophobe and hate having to constantly faff with settings and pairing so perhaps wired will be the best option.

My brother has a cardo, not sure which model but it was pretty much top of the range so will see if I can try that too.

It was easier to choose when the only real option was an autocom:ROFLMAO:

I have Interphone UCOM16 on my Schuberth C3 Pro. It's excellent. Had it a couple of years now.
Most of my mates have SENA on Interphone, and as you may know they are compatible on MESH (unlike Cardo which is a "proprietary" system and does not communicate well with other brands).
One button press will get the SENA or Interphone talking to each other on MESH
No probs with volume. Mine, and my mates' UCOM's have been excellent.
I also have a Interphone Connect on my Scorpion Exo Tech and it to has been excellent for a few years (4 I think). The Connect model does not have MESH so can only communicate with other helmets via Bluetooth

I've also got a Ucom 16 and my experiences with it are very good. Well made, reliable, crystal clear comms. Don't discount them. Mesh system is brilliant and comms with other Sena mesh systems seamless. Waterproof too and decent battery life (the standard battery gives me about 8 hours but you can buy larger batteries for them).

Thanks in advance.
Hello Pigglet,

Autocom diehards (luddites) such as I have been bemoaning their demise for the past couple of years. The website is there but no-one is answering the phones.

A complete lack of direction and investment from the last owners sealed its fate and that of sister company Starcom. They understood electronics but not motorcycling.

The 7-pin systems are pretty bomb-proof and are working well still (I am still using a system that was last produced in 2008)

I used an Interphone F4 system with my mrs for years and it worked perfectly. Replaced it with a Ucom16, which, in my (limited) experience with it, is even better. Never got to test the Mesh system sadly. Its up for sale here with my Neotec helmet, if your interested..

Back
Top Bottom