Is there an alternative to Garmin?

Thanks- this was a great idea but alas it forces you to update. Thank you for your help though

I just remember sd card must be SDHC micro card, nav 4 and 5 not like SDXC sometimes work sometimes not SDHC is better compatible

Maybe try older version garmin, link below scan with antivirus is ok, remove garmin from computer install old version, do not update, try see if this work

https://softfamous.com/postdownload-file/garmin-express/3874/768/

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...b54cda5bf409a39a3d6ba92a0be6e29d490/detection

Tried it by deleting current version, Restarted computer, turned off updates and downloaded previous version for mac and its not done any good. Thanks for the assist though :okay

Personally I’d go with the TomTom app. You can use a mirror mount and either an SP or quadlock wireless charger.
2e0453118538b9bc0cf4ed7bf8cec136.jpg

Personally I’d go with the TomTom app. You can use a mirror mount and either an SP or quadlock wireless charger.
2e0453118538b9bc0cf4ed7bf8cec136.jpg

Not sure why you would put the TomTom app on your phone rather than the BMW connected app. They both navigate but there is tons more integration with the BMW app.

Not sure why you would put the TomTom app on your phone rather than the BMW connected app. They both navigate but there is tons more integration with the BMW app.

Both of these may be fine solutions. However, when you go to Europe in the future you will possibly be pay roaming charges on your phone. With a satnav you won't be using any data. Brexit, the gift that just keeps giving

Hope op try this solution

Interestingly I have a pal who never keeps things updating. He's just been successful in updating using GE version 6.16.0.0, and a 16gb card. on a sumo 660. seems like the problem is GE, not the units themselves. I've tried to locate a copy but haven't been able to find it :blast

Both of these may be fine solutions. However, when you go to Europe in the future you will possibly be pay roaming charges on your phone. With a satnav you won't be using any data. Brexit, the gift that just keeps giving

You should do your homework before making comment. The BMW app has all the free maps that you want downloaded onto your phone before you leave and then uses no data at all. All modern smartphones have a GPS chip built in and it is usually a better chip than a dedicated GPS unit, that chip uses no phone data either.

You should do your homework before making comment. The BMW app has all the free maps that you want downloaded onto your phone before you leave and then uses no data at all. All modern smartphones have a GPS chip built in and it is usually a better chip than a dedicated GPS unit, that chip uses no phone data either.

I stand corrected. I thought it worked like google maps.

I have looked at online forums this morning and the general consensus is that the Garmin 660 is the problem. Apparently a card which is FAT32 format can only take a 4gb file, and the 660 is FAT32 formatted. Also Garmin do not support the 660 any more as it's an old model.
So, it looks like a new satnav. I hate shopping for this sort of stuff :blast

Before you spend your money just to let you know I use a 660 with a 16gb card and all is well.

I personally wouldn't have another dedicated Sat Nav, in the car or on the bike.

Like compact cameras, laptops and held hand games consoles and TV devices. The Smartphone has replaced them.
I currently own a Nav6 and although its ok, its no better than my phone.... in fact it NEEDS my phone to operate fully.

I personally wouldn't have another dedicated Sat Nav, in the car or on the bike.

Like compact cameras, laptops and held hand games consoles and TV devices. The Smartphone has replaced them.
I currently own a Nav6 and although its ok, its no better than my phone.... in fact it NEEDS my phone to operate fully.

What kind of navigation software do you use?

I have a car that rely on Android Auto for navigation, and I have tried the BMW Connected App on my bike. Both rely on Googles built in navigation function.
Even if I can point to some advantages (Like Googles ability to pick a route with the least amount of traffic), summing up Pros and Cons, I thoroughly hate it for both the car and the bike.

Also. I'm a bit curious what you think of when saying that Nav 6 needs the phone to function fully. Do you mean the traffic information that comes up through the Garmin app, or are there other functions built in that I may have missed?

Coincidently I'm messaging the Garmin help people as we speak.
Simply trying to update my maps.
Zumo 390LM.
Spent 3 - 4 hours with them last week but failed miserably.
The current little Garmin helper has gone off to find "another team".
Not looking too hopeful.

** update update **
Now tells me I have a map update to instal.
Excellent.
O ye of little faith.

Tom-tom app on your smartphone is the way to go.
12.99 per year, maps stored on phone. Easy to load gpx files.
Never go back to a Twat Nav. Overpriced junk

Tom-tom app on your smartphone is the way to go.
12.99 per year, maps stored on phone. Easy to load gpx files.
Never go back to a Twat Nav. Overpriced junk

Yep, or for free via the BMW connected app which I believe uses TomTom maps. Also has maps stored on phone and easy to load .gpx files. Bonus is that it does even more than that.

Coincidently I'm messaging the Garmin help people as we speak.
Simply trying to update my maps.
Zumo 390LM.
Spent 3 - 4 hours with them last week but failed miserably.
The current little Garmin helper has gone off to find "another team".
Not looking too hopeful.

** update update **
Now tells me I have a map update to instal.
Excellent.
O ye of little faith.

** update update update **
And the map update worked.
Maps installed now 2022.10.
I take it all back.
Garmin.
The king of sat navs.

Back
Top Bottom