Is there an alternative to Garmin?

What kind of navigation software do you use?

I have a car that rely on Android Auto for navigation, and I have tried the BMW Connected App on my bike. Both rely on Googles built in navigation function.
Even if I can point to some advantages (Like Googles ability to pick a route with the least amount of traffic), summing up Pros and Cons, I thoroughly hate it for both the car and the bike.

Also. I'm a bit curious what you think of when saying that Nav 6 needs the phone to function fully. Do you mean the traffic information that comes up through the Garmin app, or are there other functions built in that I may have missed?

I use a few depending on what im doing.
Calimoto, Avenza Maps, iOverlander, Tomtom, Waze, Sygic, MyRouteApp and Google. some of them are paid for.

As you say google is ok to get from A to B, but you do have to pay attention to the route options it gives you at the start, it doesn't always choose the simplest route.
I need to connect my phone using the smartphone link app for live traffic, parking and safety cameras.

Dont get me wrong the Garmin is a capable device, but for the cost is it worth it if you already own a large smartphone?
i use my Garmin as a large speedo most of the time, as its easier to read than the BMW dial..... maybe its cos im getting old lol

I had an interesting talk with Garmin yesterday. The latest theory is that the unit memory is full . Apparently if this happens the unit doesn’t split any updates. I’m now loo at what bits I can get rid of to free up memory.

I use a few depending on what im doing.
Calimoto, Avenza Maps, iOverlander, Tomtom, Waze, Sygic, MyRouteApp and Google. some of them are paid for.

As you say google is ok to get from A to B, but you do have to pay attention to the route options it gives you at the start, it doesn't always choose the simplest route.
I need to connect my phone using the smartphone link app for live traffic, parking and safety cameras.

Dont get me wrong the Garmin is a capable device, but for the cost is it worth it if you already own a large smartphone?
i use my Garmin as a large speedo most of the time, as its easier to read than the BMW dial..... maybe its cos im getting old lol

Tnx :okay:D

Tom-tom app on your smartphone is the way to go.
12.99 per year, maps stored on phone. Easy to load gpx files.
Never go back to a Twat Nav. Overpriced junk

Smart phones are not fans of the heat, cold or indeed vibration. A long day in the saddle with the sun on your phone, and running the GPS chip will soon see it switching itself off until it cools. You will wish you had dedicated sat nav then!

Smart phones are not fans of the heat, cold or indeed vibration. A long day in the saddle with the sun on your phone, and running the GPS chip will soon see it switching itself off until it cools. You will wish you had dedicated sat nav then!

We came back from the Pyrenees the other day on two bikes with smartphones and TFTs. It was hitting 35c at points and after 5 hours riding we had no problems at all. I know about the vibration issue but that only seems to affect Iphones and not other makes.
Sunday was also very hot and we rode about 4 hours to the Correze and back with no problems.
Never wished we had dedicated sat navs.

Well, I've had another talk to Garmin. It seems that there is no way to sort it out, so buy another Garmin :blast. i do feel that as I only use a satnav occasionally getting 10 years use isn't that good. I've probably had about 25 to 30 weeks actual use out of it. Not good.

Not sure why you would put the TomTom app on your phone rather than the BMW connected app. They both navigate but there is tons more integration with the BMW app.

The Bmw app contains traffic data from TomTom, but sadly no camera data.

What I actually do is run both. I have an apple automation that opens the bmw app, turns on the radio and then opens the TomTom app, all triggered by the screen connecting via Bluetooth.

We came back from the Pyrenees the other day on two bikes with smartphones and TFTs. It was hitting 35c at points and after 5 hours riding we had no problems at all. I know about the vibration issue but that only seems to affect Iphones and not other makes.
Sunday was also very hot and we rode about 4 hours to the Correze and back with no problems.

Agreed. Never had a problem with my phone overheating. Although the TomTom app certainly has form for pushing the temperature up a little on an iPhone.

As for the vibration both SP and Quadlock sell not only waterproof wireless chargers but anti vibration mounts too. Although again I use an iPhone and haven’t had a problem.

Yet.

I have a similar issue. What I do is firstly load the UK and Ireland mapping onto the device, then create a secondary coverage in MapSource for Europe minus UK and zap that over to the memory card. You can then safely take the memory card otu if you are in UK and add it back in when you need it.

Must be my iPhone then. Definitely feels the heat and has shutdown a couple of times. I like the various Nav apps it provides, but as a primary means of navigation I have gone back to a Zumo XT.

Back
Top Bottom