I've got an oily rim

mc_nebula

Reaction score
This started after I noticed that the front boot was displaced (but I think this is incidental).
I prodded the boot back into place (which isn't an easy task).
This displaced some dribbles of water, so I think the boot must have been off when I was commuting in the rain recently.
Overnight, a few drips of emulsified oil appeared on the rim.
I put this down to water in the swingarm and disturbing the gusseted seal.

I rode the bike to work, and at lunch time, I noticed around a teaspoon of oil on the rim.
I cleaned it off and tenderly rode the bike home.
Overnight, a lot more oil has appeared - images in the link.

What does this look like to the wizened UKGSer users?

Surfed in here hoping for a photo

Very disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a link to an imgur album above, but maybe it hasn't worked?

Or maybe it's the wrong oily rim? Fnarr fnarr!

Apols I was kidding.

Having said that I had similar on an 04 gs

It was seeping from the bootie on mine.

Hope you get sorted.

I’m sure someone on here will have the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your meaning from the rear boot rubber seal leaking.
Is your propshaft running in water..?
Prize off the rear boot and look in....

Just lower the FD and see what's going on in there. If it hasn't been done for a while, then maybe the Staburags grease (assuming that's what was used, if anything) has given up on the concertina boot/gaitor best the FD. As mentioned above, could be a load of water in there. Best get it all open and cleaned up, dinner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think you are correct, water in the swing arm. As Slipperyeel says drop the FD and mop up any water that is there. As you've dropped the FD remove the shaft drive and grease both ends also grease and ensure front boot fitted properly doing the same with the rear boot when reinstalling. Pretty easy job I done it recent and I'm not a mechanical wizz.

The Top and bottom rubber boots don’t seem to be doing much other than trap water if one or other of the boots are poorly fitted.

It should be noted that the R18 has an exposed driveshaft.

So it could be considered that removing the top and bottom rubber boots would do little damage to the drive train, and could possible make it more immune to damage from corrosion. Examination of the top and bottom UJ’s would be clearly visible, likewise any water which gets into the swinging arm would just run out, dry out, or be mopped up. Additionally any corrosion of the final drive splines and driveshaft and any oil leakage would be clearly visible. Maybe a liberal spraying of AC50 might be considered.

The next time I remove my driveshaft for a lube, I will be removing both top and bottom boots and running the bike without them.

Thanks for the input everyone.

It's not dropped more than a couple of drips since this photo was taken (Thursday).
That just strikes me as very odd. It's either leaking, or it isn't, surely?

Perhaps it was just a lot of gakky fling-off from the UJ's, that's been emulsified in a potentially wet swingarm...

Frustratingly, I've not got space at home to do any work on it myself right now, due to a DIY building project, so I've booked into Jap & German in Isleworth for them to take a look for me.

Back
Top Bottom