Lake District Walk Sept 2026

I don’t know the Lake District well but it looks good. When you camped by the river are you allowed to do that in England? I can’t imagine anyone would bother in a quiet spot though.
The access laws always trip me up, being used to the right to roam in Scotland.

Where’s the next one?
As far as I'm aware, In the Lake District and north Wales, it isn't legal to wild camp, however, if you're quite high in the hills and you're tidy, it goes on without too much said. A sort of unwritten permission. What I did next to a road would probably be frowned upon, but put the tent up after dark and away earlyish, leave no trace etc. I don't think anyone minds too much. In Derbyshire National Park it's definitely illegal and they do have Rangers who will move you on in certain places.

Problem is with all the YouTubers doing stuff, other folk do it, and insist on having a fire and leave fire marks everywhere. Where I camped there were scattered ashes and burnt wood around. This will cause us issues in the future I suspect.

The next trip, not planned yet, but I'm eager to do more soon.
 
When you camped by the river are you allowed to do that in England? I can’t imagine anyone would bother in a quiet spot though.
The access laws always trip me up, being used to the right to roam in Scotland.

technically wild camping isnt allowed in England anywhere.
however if you camp high, i.e. above the highest walls and try to be discreet you will be ignored.
This doesn't have to be on high peaks such as the mountains, you can camp on the moors too.
It does help if you pick a green tent, the old bright orange tents are probably a bad idea lol

I have in the past camped in forest a lot lower.
trick is to stay in the local pub and leave when dark, pitch, sleep and pack up early as its getting light.

Its shouldn't need saying to take all your rubbish and don't burn anything... but people do sadly.

I once camped in a spot hidden behind a stone wall (it was windy) and was approached by a farmer, once he saw it was obvious i was a backpacker and alone he left me alone.
he actually seemed interested in my plans.
 


Back
Top Bottom