Lithium v Acid

£75 @ Halfords ! (With discount from AA)

I think the YTZ14 has higher cranking amps and is the same size as the OEM with the polystyrene block under it

I took the polystyrene block out of mine and fitted a YTX14

For info, the BS just means bottle supplied, where you get the acid to fill yourself, I bought a factory conditioned (so filled at the factory) which I think they are moving towards because of regulation on selling and transporting acid

The Yuasa YTZ14S is a much more expensive gel battery , come already activated and can be laid on it’s side etc it’s not the same as a YTX14 . It’s exactly the Same battery in my Crosstourer which I replaced last year Like for like after 8 years of service and it was still going . My Husky battery (Haiju) has already died at 18months old …replaced with a new Yuasa . I don’t have a problem with Lithium , I have one on my CCM . No issues whatsoever if kept on a Lithium maintenance charger. I wouldn’t buy the JMT lithium batteries though , I’m told they are cheap for a reason and don’t have some of the protective circuitry in them that other have brands have.

Don't you need to be very carefull about the charging voltage with a lithium battery ?
Between 13.4 V and 14.6V anything else no good.
I would stick to an acid battery

Not a good idea to charge a lithium battery below 5c, so might be a problem for those who use their bikes in cold weather.

The Yuasa YTZ14S is a much more expensive gel battery , come already activated and can be laid on it’s side etc it’s not the same as a YTX14 . It’s exactly the Same battery in my Crosstourer which I replaced last year Like for like after 8 years of service and it was still going . My Husky battery (Haiju) has already died at 18months old …replaced with a new Yuasa . I don’t have a problem with Lithium , I have one on my CCM . No issues whatsoever if kept on a Lithium maintenance charger. I wouldn’t buy the JMT lithium batteries though , I’m told they are cheap for a reason and don’t have some of the protective circuitry in them that other have brands have.

an AGM battery can be fitted on its side
see https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ytx14-bs.html which states it is "sealed and spill proof"

Not a good idea to charge a lithium battery below 5c, so might be a problem for those who use their bikes in cold weather.

Think it’s okay with trickle charge, but not with alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After checking with Halfords, they do the YTZ14S for £90.00 - so not that much more expensive
I’d refute your JMT comments too.
JMT lithium batteries are made in Germany to a reasonably high standard. I’ve got one on my Harley and been really happy with it. The cranking Amps blow away the OEM one. The GS one is rated at 240A - compared to 230 on the HP Yuasa one. Just saying

After checking with Halfords, they do the YTZ14S for £90.00 - so not that much more expensive
I’d refute your JMT comments too.
JMT lithium batteries are made in Germany to a reasonably high standard. I’ve got one on my Harley and been really happy with it. The cranking Amps blow away the OEM one. The GS one is rated at 240A - compared to 230 on the HP Yuasa one. Just saying

That Halfords price is a bargain 👍 The YTZ standard RRP is much more than a YTX14. I don’t doubt the CCA of the JMT is very good , Lithium’s are definitely way better in that respect than conventional batteries.😎

That Halfords price is a bargain The YTZ standard RRP is much more than a YTX14. I don’t doubt the CCA of the JMT is very good , Lithium’s are definitely way better in that respect than conventional batteries.

I got 7 years out of my OEM one - so guess time will tell with lithium. I don’t ride sub 5C - so alternator charging issue won’t be an errr issue. Guess my main motivation was I just bought new lithium charger for other bike……..and knowing me I’d mix them up after few beers

The YTX despite being AGM should still not really be fitted on its side , the YTZ is the recommend battery for that . The YTX9BS is the most popular battery as it fits lots of old and current bikes , but not if the battery needs it be on its side . A lot of newer popular sports bikes particularly nowadays have the battery on its side and take a YTZ10S for his reason and also the more compact nature of it.

I got 7 years out of my OEM one - so guess time will tell with lithium. I don’t ride sub 5C - so alternator charging issue won’t be an errr issue. Guess my main motivation was I just bought new lithium charger for other bike……..and knowing me I’d mix them up after few beers

Just keep the thing on Your maintenance charger and I’m sure it will be fine. If left off a bike a lithium has a much slower discharge rate than lead acid BUT if fitted to the bike and there is any parasitic drain from the bikes electronics or a tracker then it will go flat much more quickly . The good news is if it is flat and won’t start the bike ( happened to me once ) then within 20mins or so you should get up to 80% and have enough charge to start the bike. My CCM is 4 yrs old in March and I think it has covered somewhere around 2,000 miles so is left standing a lot. 👍

Back
Top Bottom