Low Idle and Fuel Light on - R1150GS 2001

Prophet

Registered user
Joined
Aug 11, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
Edinburgh
So,

I made another post on here asking about oil, that went fine. I done my oil change, changed the filter (prefilled the oil filter) put the oil filter back on, put the new oil in the engine and it sounded like it was running a lot better.

I then changed after that;

Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Fuel Filter.

It hadn't been started in like two weeks while I was working on it, but now I've got a new issue. The fuel warning light is now permanently stuck on, even with putting my 18 or so liters back in the tank and when I went to start the bike, it took forever to properly start and backfired quite a few times, which I've never had it do in the few months I've owned it. It will start and run, but it idles very very rough, with the battery light constantly flickering on and off when it does idle, which it only done when it was on 5 bars of temperature. It's rattling itself to pieces like it's idling way too low. I don't really know what I have done to make it run like this.

The stuck on fuel light, I think might be to do with the float being stuck as I had a hard time getting the pump assembly back into the tank.

Any suggestions?
 
first thing is to stay calm!

The fuel light could be the fuel guage. It's a fussy thing, it might be faulty or not correctly reinstalled / damaged after changing the fuel filter. Not a big deal in the big scheme of things. It might just need to be reset. no, I've no suggestions but they are fussy.

Interms of the battery light, I'd double check your battery connections. get the spanners out, undo the two connections, give them a spritz of wd 40 or act 50 and wipe them. scruff of a file perhaps. reinstall.

the idle being way too low, sounds like you might have disturbed the throttle cables seating. down by the cylinder heads are the throttle bodies and fuel injectors, make sure the cables are seated correctly. give them a pull towards the bike too. they might be unseated in the junction box.

I think you have the float issue on point but I'm sure someone else will try and help with the other symptoms.
 
Hi, Is the fuel gauge the float?

And the battery light was only flickering when it was idling very roughly, because the normal behavior for my bike is that the battery icon is on red until the bike is started, the battery is brand new.

What cable am I looking for when looking for the throttle cables? If you could maybe point them out on a picture it'd be helpful, thanks.
 
My friend has suggested though, it might be the ECU of the bike running everything very lean since the Air Filter looked like it hasn't been changed since the fuel filter was changed, which was in 2008. I don't know if it makes sense to take it for an Italian tune up since it runs fine once the RPMs climb above 1K or so
 
to the best of my knowledge the fuel guage is a simple sensor attached to the float. the long metal arm that goes into the tank. it's a biatch to get in and out. In my very limited experience.

The battery icon I think (?) should be red until the bike is started. The red suggests that the battery is under load but not being charged? Again, I'm new enough to this...

There are two cylinders. It's a manual throttle system. physical cables that go from the right hand, down under your bum and then get split left and right right to the throttles. sometimes the cables get stuck 'trapped'.

worth a check. I can't find a photo now. just behind the cylinder head - the big sticky out bit in from of your feet look for a cable trust me it'l be obvious
 
My friend has suggested though, it might be the ECU of the bike running everything very lean since the Air Filter looked like it hasn't been changed since the fuel filter was changed, which was in 2008. I don't know if it makes sense to take it for an Italian tune up since it runs fine once the RPMs climb above 1K or so
when your run the bike the computer resets itself. the sensors etc tell the moronic what to do..

that is my understanding anyway....just have a good look at the bike again. don't panic.
 
You’ve forgotten to connect the fuel sender unit back up since you’ve moved the tank !!
That’s why you’ve got a low fuel indication .
And I bet you’ve disturbed the throttle cables where they seat in to screw adjusters . Just seat them correctly and the engine will run fine .
 
Seating of the fuel sensor plate can be confusing as well….
Check that the flat part of the sensor plate is towards the front of the tank

IMG_1872.jpg
 
I'll pull the tank back off today and have a look at it, and if you mean if I've forgotten to plug the electrical connector back in, I done that when I put the tank back on. I'll have a look for the throttle cables
 
Happy to report that the idle issue was simply just the throttle cable being pulled out slightly, put it back in and it runs sweet as a nut. I'll get the tank back off tomorrow to see what I've done wrong under there.
 
Happy to report that the idle issue was simply just the throttle cable being pulled out slightly, put it back in and it runs sweet as a nut. I'll get the tank back off tomorrow to see what I've done wrong under there.
A classic issue on theses bikes . I’m glad you sorted it 👍😂
 


Back
Top Bottom