morocco

gerry wallbank

:) going to morocco april 2004 any tips or advice would be great [at princetown in sept ]

Don't eat mouldy horse tajine.:barf

Do some of the off road routes described in Chris Scotts's Sahara book.

Get out of northern Morocco asap

Suggest 2 - 3 weeks minimum

Go for it

Tim

Funny you should ask.................

I was having a conversation with Roy, aka Blue Sweeper, this very morning about doing a "Gentlemens Tour" next May, after our attempt at the GSClubUK "Portsmouth-Mezzouga" version of the Paris-Dakar this May...............

If I went again (and I want to), I'd do it the way Roys Suggesting;

Day 1
Plymouth - catch ferry to Santander

Day 2
Salamanca - Arrive at Santander and ride to Salamanca - distance 215 Miles

Day 3
Seville - Depart Salamanca and ride to Seville - distance 292 Miles

Day 4
Ceuta - Depart Seville and ride to Ceuta via Ronda, the Andalusia Mountains and Ferry crossing from Algeciras - distance 150 Miles

Day 5
Fes - Depart Ceuta spend around 2 hours at Morocco border with paperwork and ride to Fes - distance 195 Miles

Day 6
Erfoud - Depart Fes and ride to Erfoud over Atlas Mountains - distance 273 Miles. This means you can see a bit of Fes if you want. This means you ride over this stunning bit during the day and can stop loads for photies etc.

Day 7
Erfoud - Optional ride over the Sahara sands to the Erg Chebbi, and the sand dunes of Merzouga. Or take the road route to Merzouga - distance about 90 Miles return. Or just relax by the swimming pool! If sufficient interest is shown, arrange that the second day in Erfoud is spent at the Desert Inn, fantastic place in the middle of nowhere, with European style bathrooms and a swimming pool!

Day 8
Ouarzazate - Depart Erfoud and ride to Ouarzazate via Todra Gorge and Dades Valley - distance 195 Miles

Day 9
Marrakech - Depart Ouarzazate and ride to Marrakech over High Atlas Mountains - distance 125 Miles

Day 10
Marrakech - Day to relax or explore to city

Day 11
Meknes - Depart Marrakech and ride to Meknes via the western flanks of the Atlas Mountains - distance 285 Miles

Day 12
Ceuta - Depart Meknes and ride to Ceuta via Moroccan border - distance 183 Miles

Day 13
Grenada - Depart Ceuta and ride to Grenada via ferry crossing and Algeciras - distance 174 Miles

Day 14
Valadolid - Depart Grenada and ride to Valadolid - distance 382 Miles

Day 15
Santander - Depart Valadolid and ride to Santander - distance 153 Miles. Catch Ferry to Plymouth.

Don't try and do more than 300 miles a day - esecially in Morocco, the whole reason you're going is to see the place. Get a puncture, or problem of any sort and your days shot if you've got to go any distance.

Also allows you to see the country you're riding thru and not piss the locals off by bombing thru their villages at 70mph.

Get out of northern Morocco asap
Definitely. We could really feel the difference the nearer we go to the border on the way back.

Don't rush. Relax. Have fun.

Gentleman's Tour???

"Abrham Lincoln once said that every individual will have two opportunities that come by them in their lives. The only question you must ask yourself is, "Is this the first one or the last one?"

And if this is your last opportunity, I strongly recommend you don't miss out on Route M5. Tallouine south to approx Tisnassemine then east to just north of Foum-Zguid.

Easy off tarmac routes;)

Tim

Back
Top Bottom