Motorcycle security when away from home

View attachment 466255
Hiplok DX1000 on a heavy duty barrier with a Oxford Nemesis disc lock and other security measures (no armed guards yet...), is a pretty decent combo. I imagine around 12 grinder cutting discs or 4 diamond discs to get through this combo with 30 minutes time and a hell of a lot of noise.
Theres a weak link there that could be exploited!
 
Abus disc lock and a cheap cover (I won't ever leave the bike uncovered again - people just ignore it) did fine on our last 16 week trip around Europe and Morocco. Had to leave it on the street a few times, but no one touched it. Maybe an advantage of having an old bike. It does have an air tag too...

Safe and sound in Turkey. I would never do this in the UK however.

IMG_20250929_124919_812~2.jpg

Pussy magnet in Morocco. Bloody things seemed to know about my sheepskin cover and made a beeline for it. Smelt very bad when we returned.

IMG_20251130_162449_673.jpg
 
So where does all this stuff stolen go to? Where is the money coming from? Where did the gypsies, mentioned in an above post, take those bikes to. do they chop the bikes themselves or are the bikes taken somewhere else? It's obvious that there seems to be serious financial gain in stealing bikes but it seems that some proactive police work could infiltrate some of these big rings. Go after the money, If you buy used cheap parts that are not sourced you are part of the problem ...
I've had several instances where I was able to catch people trying to steal mainly my bicycles but also a couple of incidents with the motorcycle. I have slept on the ground next to the motorcycle when I thought there might be a problem. Maybe a campout in some situations, like the post with the gypsies or the lithuanians where it is likely the person at the inn is also in on it. As are the police as well, not allowing the bikes to be tracked, even though they know right where the bikes are, what a giant fail ....
Some times it takes the insurance companies to get involved, to turn this stuff around and get to the bottom of where all this stuff is going, and who is actually buying this stuff. Like say "empty" shipping containers returning to china or india etc. full of stolen GS's or parts ...
this can be stopped .... imo
 
Disc locks do provide much hilarity when the owner forgets to remove it. Not for them but for the rest of us. It’s not a case of if but when.
I might have done that with our lass on the back and set off. Did not end well. :LOL:
I am going to upgrade from my current one to one of these though.

Hiplok MD1000​

 
Disc locks do provide much hilarity when the owner forgets to remove it. Not for them but for the rest of us. It’s not a case of if but when.
Well in over 25 years of using disc locks, I have never forgot to remove one, but you can't stop stupid.
 
I might have done that with our lass on the back and set off. Did not end well. :LOL:
I am going to upgrade from my current one to one of these though.

Hiplok MD1000​

If you buy one of those, think you can get a free z lock thingy for your helmet (scrub that, they are giving 15% off everything at the moment). Just check the MD1000 will fit, there have been a few who have found they won't fit their discs
 
I might have done that with our lass on the back and set off. Did not end well. :LOL:
I am going to upgrade from my current one to one of these though.

Hiplok MD1000​

15% off across the board with "birthday15" at the moment.Not sure if thats for existing customers or everyone.
 
If you buy one of those, think you can get a free z lock thingy for your helmet. Just check the MD1000 will fit, there have been a few who have found they won't fit their discs
Ah ok thanks. Buying locally so I can take it back but hopefully it fits all my bikes.
 
I've never seen the point of bike covers as security, it's pretty obvious there's a bike under there.
On a recent trip with a chap I know he had a cover for his Himmy but I didn't bother. We parked up outside our hotel within sight of reception and a relatively busy road, he put his cover on and I thought he was wasting his time.
I went for a walk that evening and by the time I got back to the hotel it was dark. As I got back to the hotel my GSA was as conspicuous as a shiny new toy on a Christmas tree just waiting to be grabbed, his Himmy, however, could not be sen despite being chained right next to my bike. The Himmy hadn't been stolen but the all black cover had apparently morphed into an invisibility cloak despite me being less than 10 yards away on tge pavement of the road that went past the hotel.
I am now sold on the idea and will be buying one and taking it with me in future trips.

This is what he used, it packed down relatively small, I'll obviously be buying a larger version for my HSA and the silver suitcase on the back.

 
I've never seen the point of bike covers as security, it's pretty obvious there's a bike under there.

I guess the logic of them (other than keeping bird poo off *) is, just as you say, to sort of disguise what bike is underneath and / or make it blend in, in the dark. The latter helps if it’s black. I guess it’s also another thing for a thief to faff about with.

Me? I just see them as another thing to cart about and faff about putting away, probably when it’s raining or baking hot.

* See our Italian correspondent’s post and thread.

:beerjug:

PS Be sure to face the covered bike, into the prevailing wind.
 
On thw same trip we both had Hiplocks, he has a DXL1000 I have the earlier, shorter version, the DX1000.
His DXL 1000 was brilliant, locking instantly every time without issue, my DX1000 has become incredibly difficult to lock taking up to 10 minutes of frustrating wiggling the shackle about, getting hotter and hotter under the collar to the extent that if it hadn't been for an overnight stay I could have been very tempted not to bother. I'm going to take it back to SBS today to see what their thoughts on it are.
 
Last edited:
Fixing a Jammed DX1000 Lock
    • Do not force the key: Forcing a stuck key can snap it inside the high-security cylinder, turning a jam into a permanent emergency.
    • Clean out debris: Hold the lock with the keyhole facing down and spray a quality lock lubricant or penetrating fluid (like GT85) into the mechanism to flush out dirt. Avoid standard WD-40 unless you plan to follow up with a proper Teflon/PTFE-based lubricant, as it strips away protective oils.
    • Realign the internal discs: Gently insert the key and wiggle it back and forth. Users on Pedelecs note that the anti-rotation double-locking tabs can cause binding if the lock is under physical tension or hasn't been worn in yet.
    • Relieve pressure: If the shackle is pulled or twisted tight against a frame or rack, take the weight and pressure off the lock body before trying to turn the key.

Simply blowing (a sharp puff or two) through a short length of drinking straw into the key hole, might well suffice to rid it of any accumulated muck and dust.

Me? I’d use a little powdered graphite to lubricate, after cleaning it out.
 
Cheers. I don't think it's particularly an issue with dirt or debris, it just has to be sitting in an exact but not obvious position for the key to lock it. Get it right and it's instant. Don't and God will pour incessant Irish rain down the back of your collar as punishment.
Unlocking it has never been an issue so far.
 
Does the shackle have a rubber covering? If so, maybe trim a bit back, if it is stopping the lock and shackle hitting the optimum angle.
 


Back
Top Bottom