Navigator Faulty…

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Early adoption….why on why do I get sucked in ?

6 journeys 250-300miles journey and its failed unfortunately.

40mile ride in rain this morning (don’t know if that’s a factor - half the other mileage was in pouring rain as well) - jumped on bike this evening and it fired up ok. Had to make sure my iPhone was on Personal Hotspot screen and then it connected to the Nav ok.

Went to Navigator option - it showed a generic map pic, not where I was and just random roads without any names - looking like a standard image, then after a few seconds went back to main menu again.

Tried it multiple times, took it out the cradle, restarted Navigator - same thing.

Set off home (40miles) - pissing rain again. Got home, brought inside, reset again (on and off + keeping power button switch until it cycled). Same results for Navigation behaviour above.

So I thought I’d check settings. Same is happening to Settings menu option, when I choose that - just cycles back to main screen.

So I was going to factory reset from settings menu…..but I can’t get to that option now….so I’m stuck.

Other menu options work fine, routes show the route I took home !

I suspect software. If it was hardware (screen) then this would happen for every menu option. I have a suspicion it’s deleted the map from memory and perhaps something to do with settings….now it can’t open them because they’re not there. I’ll plug in tomorrow to computer and see if there’s a map folder etc.

It’ll be going back to the dealer for replacement next week.

I’ll let you know what happens :(

Oh dear. I hope this isn't going to be another Sat Nav nightmare for us. I ordered one today. I hope you get it sorted and it is just a one off problem. 😉

If the new ConnectedRide Navigator works in the same way as it does on my 1600, the detailed map is held on the phone, not on the device. The phone and the device are connected together in two ways, simultaneously but separately.

1. Bluetooth for ‘sound’ ie. music, turn by turn, phone calls etc. Bluetooth also carries the routing instructions from the phone to the device.

2. The local WiFi connection between the phone and the device (or, in the case of my 1600, the TFT screen) for bringing across the detailed maps

Whilst it is very odd that your ConnectedRide Navigator’s screen has frozen (and assuming it works in the same way as my 1600) I wonder if the WiFi connection is suspect? But that alone, does not explain the device’s screen freezing.

Keep us posted, as they say.

Last edited:
If the new ConnectedRide Navigator works in the same way as it does on my 1600, the detailed map is held on the phone, not on the device. The phone and the device are connected together in two ways, simultaneously but separately.

1. Bluetooth for ‘sound’ ie. music, turn by turn, phone calls etc. Bluetooth also carries the routing instructions from the phone to the device.

2. The local WiFi connection between the phone and the device (or, in the case of my 1600, the TFT screen) for bringing across the detailed maps

Whilst it is very odd that your ConnectedRide Navigator’s screen has frozen (and assuming it works in the same way as my 1600) I wonder if the WiFi connection is suspect? But that alone, does not explain the device’s screen freezing.

Keep us posted, as they say.
The phone does not need to be connected for the satnav to function normally - on its own. The phone is only needed for phone calls and/or data (if you connect via hotspot.
The screen hasnt frozen - its 2 menu items that are 'failing' - Nav and Settings. Which is why I think its software rather than hardware and I believe its because the software has deleted something in error - like the map or it has become corrupt.

OK, the ConnectedRide Navigator works differently to the Connected Ride on the 1600 and RT’s. Good to know.

I think though that ConnectedRide Navigator has a local WiFi system? What does that do? (Apologies for thread hijack, I’ll edit it up later).

Cant blame garmin this time, its tomtoms fault

OK, the ConnectedRide Navigator works differently to the Connected Ride on the 1600 and RT’s. Good to know.

I think though that ConnectedRide Navigator has a local WiFi system? What does that do? (Apologies for thread hijack, I’ll edit it up later).
It uses the wifi for the hot-spot to your phone (or home network if you're updating it sat in the house). The Bluetooth is to the phone and headset for voice calls/music. So, if you dont have the phone connected (via hotspot) it wont show traffic for example.

OK, thanks, Good to know that the maps do not come across via WiFi, as they do with the ConnectedRide on the 2600 / RT. With those two bikes there is an oblong symbol which shows that the WiFi connection between the T`FT screen and the phone is active (it sort of ‘ flashes’ or strobes if it isn’t) and that the map transfer from the phone to the bike is active. Kill the WiFi and the map vanishes from the TFT screen. Basic instructions ‘turn right, left etc will still function, as will a very basic direction arrow.

IMG_4711.jpeg

So….not good news if you’re getting one of these for Christmas….

I picked up my replacement unit and started to set it up……it’s doing pretty much the same as I’ve detailed in this post. I could get to the Settings menu this time (progress ?…) so I could reset the unit and try doing things in a different order (adding my Connected account, downloading maps etc) but after doing that 3 times - I gave in.

Speaking with the dealer, they contacted BMW UK…..who admitted that they’d had a number of units back and the software…..despite what BMW are saying…..is not ready. This replacement unit even came with the new software update installed…..and thought it was in Berlin..

So I’ve returned for a refund and will wait for the software to mature before I dive in again. The unit (hardware) looks to be great…..but the software just hasn’t been tested as it should (I was a Software engineer back in the day).

How have other owners been getting on ? My unit was fine for a short time…..so needs a few hundred miles to gauge whether you’re having similar problems ?

The one positive is that the problems at the moment are software.....and with some expertise and time - these can be fixed easily. The Garmin Nav's seemed to have hardware issues - less easy to fix.

Having had 7 garmin nav 6. I was ready for a change , the biggest disappointment for me is the actual maps .nothing shows on the maps except the road names .not even a petrol pump sign. the turn off signs are bettter , it hooks up with your phone and headset instantly. You can not see the track so you do not know if it’s keeping to the route. The verbal instructions are better than garmin.if you are on a phone call a big arrow appears on the screen so you don’t miss your turn as map goes while on phone. Once you have loaded routes onto connected ride app they sometimes don’t show. So switch the unit off and restart and the routes show. If you want a petrol station look in POI and a list appears of petrol stations appears with a pi on the map which is crap. Once this wet weather clears i will give a better review when i ride with other guys wit garmin who will be using my routes to see if it does stupid tricks like a garmin

The one positive is that the problems at the moment are software.....and with some expertise and time - these can be fixed easily. The Garmin Nav's seemed to have hardware issues - less easy to fix.
Hello i have the same problem, the navigation dont start. Do you fixed the issue?

Hello i have the same problem, the navigation dont start. Do you fixed the issue?

I’m afraid not, it went back for a refund. New software version out 1.02 I think but not hearing positive comments that all issues have been resolved.

Back
Top Bottom