New Zealand

I was there in 2016 both islands
had a camper for 3 weeks
but I found that all the camping sites I stayed at also had huts/pods and were just a cheap as overnight parking costs
im planning in going again in 2024/25
but would just rent a car this time and stay in pods/huts instead
it’s a lot cheaper
You will be expected to supply your own sheets (manchester in Kiwi) and towels

The principle advantage of Singapore Airlines is that their crews look after you
Slightly off topic but couldn't agree more! Best Airline to Asia there is in my mind. I travel a lot and always with my stuffed dog (long story.....). On my last trip to Singapore he sat with me in business class. When the Stewardess came arounds with the drinks she also offered him something. ''The Dog will have a malt'' I said and yes, he got one! Top service! :ROFLMAO:

We went to NZ for a month way back in 2008, toured around in a knackered and gutless Mazda 1300 automatic, stayed in BBH - basic backpackers hostels - which were anything but, great places for great value accommodation.
Beware of speeding, I got popped for 44 in a 40 (ffs!) and it cost me 80 bucks. What really cracked me up was that he reckoned he had to chase me for 5 miles to catch up with me and then said I’d initially overtaken him… that was then modified when I told him I was also a Traffic Police Officer in the UK and asked to see the video or Vascar which he denied having. As I was flying home 2 days later I had no option but to pay it.
Beware mate!

We went to NZ for a month way back in 2008, toured around in a knackered and gutless Mazda 1300 automatic, stayed in BBH - basic backpackers hostels - which were anything but, great places for great value accommodation.
Beware of speeding, I got popped for 44 in a 40 (ffs!) and it cost me 80 bucks. What really cracked me up was that he reckoned he had to chase me for 5 miles to catch up with me and then said I’d initially overtaken him… that was then modified when I told him I was also a Traffic Police Officer in the UK and asked to see the video or Vascar which he denied having. As I was flying home 2 days later I had no option but to pay it.
Beware mate!
Yep be careful speeding here in NZ.
Public holidays they go zero tolerance so you could get ticketed 1km over the limit.
Also speed cameras are not sign posted.

@Ron Gibson
It sounds as though you have done a lot of work on this already - and the MOST important thing that you have decided upon, is to take a couple of days upon arrival, to settle down/'de-compress' after the long flight/multiple time zone changes. Many have fallen asleep at the wheel of a camper van hired right off the flights. Very sad outcomes.

Your original question seemed to be about flights. If you are not a frequent long-haul traveller (7-10 hours plus), then this is probably the most important part of all of your planning - and a cheaper fare isn't going to help you when it involves 16 hours on a single flight (Qatar Doha-Auckland), or almost as long on Emirates (Dubai-Auckland).

My advice: see if you can get yourself on Singapore Airlines (www.singaporeair.com) with a 2-3 day stopover EACH WAY in Singapore. The Web site is very clear in laying out your flight options and corresponding pricing... These can vary even on the same day. The airline offers some great 'Singapore stopover rates' and if they don't suit you, have a look online to book direct at somewhere like Holiday Inn Express Katong (see: www.ihg.com and sign-up for membership rates). Feel free to PM and I can give you some more hotels to consider.

The principle advantage of Singapore Airlines is that their crews look after you. And this route breaks up your flights into easier-to-manage sections. Plus you can take an overnight flight from Heathrow (they have others).

Good alternatives for mostly the same reasons are Thai Airways via Bangkok, or Malaysian Airlines via Juala Lumpur (again, with stopovers).

Important: make sure that you get sleep on the plane on the London/Singapore sections... Don't spend all flight watching movies and arrive exhausted! Sleep is the single most important factor to manage jetlag. (Again happy to have a PM session for more insight into flights).

In N. Z., others have covered much of this and I agree about flying back from Christchurch... But you would do well to just fly into Wellington and then take a few days with a rental car to drive up the west side of the North Island, via New Plymouth, back to Auckland.

February is good timing: weather is generally very settled and warm (humid in Auckland), kids are back in school, days still reasonably long.

Just do remember in terms of personal safety and the security of your property:
N. Z. has jails, too, and they are also full. Petty crime that sustains an out of control drug scene is a real problem that ruins many holidays.
Thank you for the informative reply. Flights booked with Emirates via Dubai prior to seeing your post but will bear Singapore Airlines in mind if there is another trip. Definitely a couple of days rest prior to heading off and seeing the sights. I am pretty sure we are going to do the scenic rail journey from Auckland to Wellington then have a couple of days in Wellington prior to crossing to South island (plane or ferry not sure yet) then travel from Picton to Christchurch and onwards to Queenstown and beyond either by camper or car/hotels etc. After a few days (to be decided) will then fly back to Auckland from either Queenstown or Christchurch and tour the North island.

Where ever you go will be fantastic but please remember to put on sunblock or stay covered
The UV here is very strong even on cloudy days.
I you have the slightest bit of ginger in your genes you will suffer.
Although Scottish I'm not one of the pasty white ginger ones 🤣, but yes sunblock all the time and my Tilley hat. Have seen too many cases of bad sunburn and skin C to go without.

@Kitsilano fanks maaaate
@Ron Gibson details on the train please

enjoy the trip

been in 17 planning for feb next year - scooter last time (even with excess kms it was cheaper than a bike) - but will bike this time as gonna be doing twice the kms

x100 for coromandel also bay of plenty worth a look

also worth a look is northland above auck

@Kitsilano fanks maaaate

enjoy the trip

been in 17 planning for feb next year - scooter last time (even with excess kms it was cheaper than a bike) - but will bike this time as gonna be doing twice the kms

Doing the Northern explorer train Auckland to Wellington and the Coastal Pacific, Picton to Christchurch. Enables me to sample some of the fine NZ wine 😋

You should also do the Tranz Alpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth across/though the Southern Alps.
Dont expect NZ trains to move fast, 100kmh is max and if track temps increase they can drop drastically. NZ rail gauge is 3ft6 due to the landscape. Passenger Trains outside of Wellington and Auckland are mainly for tourists, few locals commute on these due to time of travel and cost.

yes sunblock all the time and my Tilley hat. Have seen too many cases of bad sunburn and skin C to go without.
For those who don't know about the near-legendary Alex Tilley of Toronto, Ontario.... In the early 1990s he created a line of 'adventure clothing' (initially, shorts, trousers, shirts and famous hat) made of durable fabrics... His washing instructions were ridiculously simple: the label stated only, "Give 'em Hell!" (exclamation point included).

The gear would ideally suit tossers who are looking for some scrubs at the end of a day's ride that allow you into decent establishments!

@Kitsilano fanks maaaate

enjoy the trip

Details on the trains are here:KiwiRail
The only issue is that there is only one train a day (at most) so if you want to stop off and explore then you have to commit to a whole day in towns where a morning would suffice!
Stopping in Kaikoura is worth it if you want to do whale watching, but there's not a lot else there.

Doing the Northern explorer train Auckland to Wellington and the Coastal Pacific, Picton to Christchurch. Enables me to sample some of the fine NZ wine 😋
If that's what you want to do, head to central Otago and do some cellar door samplings! The Pinot Noirs are exceptional. There's loads of vineyards around Queenstown, so budget accordingly.

I arrived in NZ last week. I'm here for a very quick family visit. Good to see you're going east to NZ. I went with Air New Zealand via Chicago. The Chicago bit was a complete cluster. When in-transit in the States, you have to go through immigration, re-claim your hold luggage, check it back in again, completely leave Arrivals and go back through security into Departures. All this in under 3 hours for my connection flight. The queues for security were massive and several people missed the flight because of the wait. I only managed it by jumping the security queue along with others. It's a shame because Air New Zealand from Chicago to Auckland were brilliant. But never again will I go via the States to NZ. I've got it all to do again next weekend when I go back home :(

I arrived in NZ last week. I'm here for a very quick family visit. Good to see you're going east to NZ. I went with Air New Zealand via Chicago. The Chicago bit was a complete cluster. When in-transit in the States, you have to go through immigration, re-claim your hold luggage, check it back in again, completely leave Arrivals and go back through security into Departures. All this in under 3 hours for my connection flight. The queues for security were massive and several people missed the flight because of the wait. I only managed it by jumping the security queue along with others. It's a shame because Air New Zealand from Chicago to Auckland were brilliant. But never again will I go via the States to NZ. I've got it all to do again next weekend when I go back home :(
Yes, it's madness, we have had the same experience travelling to the Caribbean via Miami.

It isn't helped when the stupid immigration guy asks "and how long do you intend to stay in the US"?

the ne airports are better

but they still look at you as if youve got two heads when you say youre only there 18 hours :D

Details on the trains are here:KiwiRail
The only issue is that there is only one train a day (at most) so if you want to stop off and explore then you have to commit to a whole day in towns where a morning would suffice!
Stopping in Kaikoura is worth it if you want to do whale watching, but there's not a lot else there.
Lets not forget Seal watching as well, its not a one sea mammal town.;)

Also looking to go October 2024. Looking at 21 ISH days and a 6berth camper. Looking to do just the south Island. Not really looked at the maps as yet but will do in time.
As others have said it's only money. So spending my inheritance ( thanks mum and dad ) oh and another (3rd) GS.

Back
Top Bottom