Oil Sight Glass Replacement

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
WHY ???

On my newly acquired 1150 the sight glass was leaking , not from around the outer edge of the seal but between the rubber amd the glass.

In the past I changed the one on my old 1150 and also on a couple of mates bikes with no issues, hole drilled to get purchase and the popped out with a seal puller , then clean around the hole., smear of sealant and new one back in.

This B#stard would not shift and after an hour it ended up having to carefully chiselled out as it appears that the glass has been replaced in the past but , whoever changed it also appears to have put it in with superglue or a similar adhesive and while putting it in had damaged the inner edge of the rubber seal causing it to leak.

Then spent twenty odd minutes carefully cleaning the sh#t and remains of glue from the inside of the casings lip before replacing it with the new sight glass.

So a simple job ended up taking up nearly 2 hours, so just a thank you to one if its previous keepers

That said it is now done , with fresh oil and filter . The brakes lines have been replaced with stainless , the front calipers fully stripped and rebuilt with new parts and it is ready for the Spring.

Now just wondering what colour to have it painted, Mandarin is top of the list followed closely by BMW Flash Red the same colour as my 2018 model GSA.

Back
Top Bottom