Oil site glass replacement advice

lagauk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some advice please. I'm about to replace the oil site glass on my 2009 R1200 GSA as it's leaking. When installing the new one is it necessary to use a gasket of some kind and if so what's recommended?
Thanks

Are you draining the oil or just leaning it back

Do you know how to get it out ??

Basically clean the area of corrosion well and maybe scothbrite the inset

there is usually a lock ring supplied with the new sightglass, only the later ones need it as far as I remember

If you can get the engine warm before you start It makes things easier than a freezing cold engine (metal contraction)

Some people lay it carefully on its right hand side so the oil drains away from the port and do all the operations like that

It takes about 5 minutes Be warned 1200 Hexhead rocker covers are paper thin and damage easily foam of rubber and a bit of plywood and someone holding the bike is adviseable

Get small drill and drill a hole and screw in a decent self tapper and prise it and the sightglass out with pliers or a nail bar

Clean the opening and scotchbrite it and locate the new sightglass and use a socket of just smaller than the outer diameter to tap it in home a very small smear of oil on the inner side of the sightglass rubber helps

Just tap the socket with a mallet and keep it square to the opening and it should go in easy!

N.B. Check for an inner lip that it rests against There should be but I am a bit brain foggy this morning ! If there isn't? Watch your depth so you don;t push it inside! I hope that drivel makes some sense

Are you draining the oil or just leaning it back

Do you know how to get it out ??

Basically clean the area of corrosion well and maybe scothbrite the inset

there is usually a lock ring supplied with the new sightglass, only the later ones need it as far as I remember

If you can get the engine warm before you start It makes things easier than a freezing cold engine (metal contraction)

Some people lay it carefully on its right hand side so the oil drains away from the port and do all the operations like that

It takes about 5 minutes Be warned 1200 Hexhead rocker covers are paper thin and damage easily foam of rubber and a bit of plywood and someone holding the bike is adviseable

Get small drill and drill a hole and screw in a decent self tapper and prise it and the sightglass out with pliers or a nail bar

Clean the opening and scotchbrite it and locate the new sightglass and use a socket of just smaller than the outer diameter to tap it in home a very small smear of oil on the inner side of the sightglass rubber helps

Just tap the socket with a mallet and keep it square to the opening and it should go in easy!

N.B. Check for an inner lip that it rests against There should be but I am a bit brain foggy this morning ! If there isn't? Watch your depth so you don;t push it inside! I hope that drivel makes some sense
Thanks for the reply and advice.

Doing an oil change so the engine will be drained.

I've never done this before and have watched numerous YouTube videos and I must say I'm a bit apprehensive on doing it seeing the trouble people have trying to lever the thing out with screwdrivers. Is there a better way than brute force with a flathead screwdriver?

So I just used a bit of oil to help seat the new sight glass. No gasket to seal?

Cheers

(1) lever the thing out with screwdrivers. Is there a better way than brute force with a flathead screwdriver?

(2) So I just used a bit of oil to help seat the new sight glass. No gasket to seal?
1 Drill a hole through the plastic outer in line with one of the holes in the shiny plate behind if possible

Screw in a big self tapper to catch the hole edge behind and pry against that self tapper and lever against a small wooden block against the engine

Try to avoid prying on the edge of the recess for the sightglass!!!

2009 is showing the steel circlip ring LINKY Parts 2 & 3 So have a good look for that before you go hauling and pulling anything out

Take the old one out!
Clean the recess!
Slightest smear of oil to help it go in and away you go

(Remember to check for an inner edge that stops the seal falling inside the engine!!)

1 Drill a hole through the plastic outer in line with one of the holes in the shiny plate behind if possible

Screw in a big self tapper to catch the hole edge behind and pry against that self tapper and lever against a small wooden block against the engine

Try to avoid prying on the edge of the recess for the sightglass!!!

2009 is showing the steel circlip ring LINKY Parts 2 & 3 So have a good look for that before you go hauling and pulling anything out

Take the old one out!
Clean the recess!
Slightest smear of oil to help it go in and away you go

(Remember to check for an inner edge that stops the seal falling inside the engine!!)
Thanks mate

Done mine recently and its not that hard at all . just make sure you have a suitably sized drift to reinsert the new one as mentioned above .

I heated a nail and burned a hole into the plastic, then used a hock tool to pulled it out…

Thanks for the advice folks. Managed it in the end but it was a pig of a job and one I wish I'd never started. Some things are best left to the professionals....or at least with those who have the right tools and know how.

That'll teach me for getting ahead of myself just coz I managed to replace the fuel tank quick release that was leaking...sigh

Back
Top Bottom