Reviving a bike that has sat for a long time

kevh

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 R1150GS from the original owner. I has less than 6000km's on the clock, but has sat for 15 years untouched in a garage. I doubt the owner emptied the tank of petrol. Is buying a bike that has sat for so long a terrible idea? I'm assuming all the fluids will need to be changed and all the rubber bits will need to be inspected. I'm looking for advice. Thanks!

Yes to all of the above plus a definite tank removal to inspect the pump, put in a new new fuel filter/internal fuel lines and maybe even injectors having stood that long . if the tank inner coating is intact still worth cleaning it out of traces of any old fuel

While you are on and have the tank off take off the front plastic engine cover and look at the state of the alternator belt and make sure the alternator is not seized.

Plus guaranted the battery will be b*ggered and the tyres will need to be replaced and the brakes at least freed off and new fluid BUT it's all part of the fun and not that terrible an idea (it will keep you out of mischief while you are sorting it out )

If you can get it at a good price then an investment of a few hundred quid on new tyres, oil and filter change, clutch and brake fluid change, new battery and as Neil has suggested clearing out the fuel tank, new petrol filter and checking the fuel pump should have it back on the road. Most of is DIY so a bit of time in the garage should get you a decent bike. Could be a good find.

Mine required so far …standing for 3 years….
New tyres, all break pads and pins/springs,
new petrol pump, fuel filter, all fuel lines replaced,internal as well as external…
Tank emptied and cleaned
Starter packed in as stood for ages, so new service kit and full rebuild..
Engine oil and oilfilter,gearbox oil and bevel oil changed
Airfilter,
Spiderwebs removes, cleaned, synchronised…..
Current adding Hellas and building a good loom and fixing lights to new bracket
Have surely forgotten something……

Don’t know about anyone else, but I’m impressed… Cleaning and synchronising spiderwebs must be a lost art :thumb2

:D:D:D…before and after synchronisation

Attachments

• D3E21B7E-5377-4F2E-A9C2-BF76CFC90604.jpg
    D3E21B7E-5377-4F2E-A9C2-BF76CFC90604.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 126
  • F1C18F8E-22A3-448A-B8ED-61395526FC99.jpg
    F1C18F8E-22A3-448A-B8ED-61395526FC99.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 122
I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 R1150GS from the original owner. I has less than 6000km's on the clock, but has sat for 15 years untouched in a garage. I doubt the owner emptied the tank of petrol. Is buying a bike that has sat for so long a terrible idea? I'm assuming all the fluids will need to be changed and all the rubber bits will need to be inspected. I'm looking for advice. Thanks!

Mostly we talk of a bike that has been unused for a year or 2 or 3. At 15 years you just don’t know what you’re getting into. Clutch could be sized solid. Oil seals could be leaking. Brakes siezed beyond repair. Fuel system needing complete replacement/refurbishment. The electrical system wires and so on could have been got at by rodents. All the obvious stuff like Tyers will need replacing. I’d buy it if it was very cheap. Don’t let the low mileage persuade you. Ideal bike for a breaker. JJH

Back
Top Bottom