Glad some of you enjoyed it, and entered into it in with the correct frame of mind.
Unfortunately the same can't be said for all.
I have just been accused, via PM, of having the intention of proving how fast I can ride and losing the rest of you.
I have replied via PM, but thought I would also bring the matter to light here, in case anyone else felt similar.
Firstly, let me state categorically that I have absolutely no need whatsoever to prove what I am capable of to
anyone on any ride. Some know cos they have ridden the same pace as me. Some don't have a clue cos practically the only time they see me on a ride is sat at a junction waiting for them. It matters not which category people fall into.
Secondly, I organise these rides primarily for myself. I would do the ride regardless of other attendees so why should the way I ride be altered for others? ???
I ride the at whatever speed I choose to ride. That's faster than some and slower than others.
So what? ???
I did ask all attendees to read the rideout ettiquette thread I linked to in the thread:
http://www.therevcounter.com/ride-outs-events/6930-rideout-ettiquette.html
If they had done so they would have read:
# Do not ride above your ability/limits to try and keep up. There will be a bike waiting for you at the next junction. There will be regular stops for a breather/fag break during which you can catch up safely. (Just because we have pulled over for a couple of minutes it doesnt mean we are having a fag break tho! -if the leaders lid is still on, he aint planning on stopping)
# Do not get pushed along by a faster bike behind you. Move over and let them through. Also do not ride harder than you feel comfortable/are safe too to keep up with others. Only play hard with people you know and trust. Slower riders, beware you may be holding up a faster rider and move over, let them past.
# If you are the faster bike, dont make stupid manouvres to get past (especially passing them on the left! ). Wait till they let you through, or find a safe place to get past.
Faster riders, please give plenty of room when passing and only go for a safe clean pass.
# It doesnt matter whether you ride like a foggy or a fanny, just go at your own pace.
# Its not a race and you wont get left behind. Just cos you cant see the bike in front doesnt mean youve got to ride like a loon to catch it up again. Take it steady, someone will be waiting somewhere.
# If everyone follows these simple ideas we can all enjoy a cracking ride, and have a good chat at the destination.
The rides are run using a marker system, so ALL on the ride get to choose the pace they wish to ride at,
including the ride leader.
The point being it doesn't matter what speed you ride at. You aren't supposed to "keep up". You are supposed to ride at the speed YOU are happy with.
It doesn't matter if you can't see the rider in front as the next turn will be marked to show you the way regardless.