Riga to Vilnius

The lady on that train is known as Provodnitsa. That carriage would have been hers to look after and hers only.

Just so.

This was in the early 80’s, the war having been over only 40 or so years. It was obvious, to my eyes at least, that a whole generation or more of men was missing.

Just so.

This was in the early 80’s, the war having been over only 40 or so years. It was obvious, to my eyes at least, that a whole generation or more of men was missing.
This “minor incursion” might’ve had something to do with it too. Not much changed in this day and age then.

Those on board your train, may have been destined to that same part of the world.

I am hoping to go in 2025, as a substitute for my aborted visit to Ukraine.

I’ve said it many times before but it’s a brilliant area to visit and it’s on our hit list for another visit at some point in the future. If you go on a bike watch out for unexpected gravel strewn roads because I found some of them were covered in deep gravel rather than a light layer and you end up with 3 distinct ridges, one in the centre of each ‘lane’ and one in the middle of the road so if you decide to bottle it and reverse your route you’ve got to get over all of them without sliding around too much :yikes

you may be aware of " The Man in Seat 61" .

www.seat61.com

Excellent site for all rail travel information worldwide.

The Vilnius-Riga train

The Vilnius-Riga train. Photo courtesy of Timo Wright

Lithuania - Latvia by train

Good news! From 27 December 2023, an air-conditioned train links Vilnius & Riga every day, with 1st & 2nd class, toilets & free WiFi. Drinks & snacks can be ordered from your seat from a menu. A refreshing alternative to a bus!

The distance is 348 km (216 miles). 272 km in Lithuania, 72 km in Latvia, see route map.

How much does it cost?​

€24 in 2nd class, €34 in 1st class. Fixed price, includes seat reservation.

Bicycles carried for €10.

Back
Top Bottom