S10 Riding technique ?

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone, and can I just wish everyone a Happy and healthy Christmas ...
Just a quick question if I may, as I wanted to gather some other peoples experiences.
When riding your S10 about, I've seen some people say on other forums that unless the engine is kept above say 2K rpm. it is really "lugging" the engine and makes it sound like a tin can full of bolts.
So just wondered, what kind of rev range you try to keep yours in when riding (for example trundling through a 30 zone) and does it sound horrible below that ?
Many Thanks, and have a good one
Spud

Good Morning everyone, and can I just wish everyone a Happy and healthy Christmas ...
Just a quick question if I may, as I wanted to gather some other peoples experiences.
When riding your S10 about, I've seen some people say on other forums that unless the engine is kept above say 2K rpm. it is really "lugging" the engine and makes it sound like a tin can full of bolts.
So just wondered, what kind of rev range you try to keep yours in when riding (for example trundling through a 30 zone) and does it sound horrible below that ?
Many Thanks, and have a good one
Spud
I had my S10 for nearly 7 years and never experienced any of that. It was and probably still is a great bike. Very underrated.

Pleased with mine, basically I just keep it in a responsive gear at whatever speed I’m doing
Ball parks are
3rd in a 30
4th in a 40
5th in a 50
Hope that helps, but you don’t want to be chugging along
I only ride by myself … 👍

Merry Christmas

I don't know your biking history but a big twin needs revs to remain smooth ie above 2k rpm. What people maybe getting regarding a "rattle" could be the clutch basket wear on gent1 bike or pinking of ignition due to fuel grade or out of balance injectors. I would suggest you ride one and make your own opinion. I had a 2015 gen 2 bike did 30k miles great bike the engine in my opinion was smooth good torque low down. Being a big twin you need to compare like for like GS 1200, Ducati 1200, etc also remember it is a 270deg crank twin so you get 2 firing strokes close together. When you test ride an S10 don't be frightened to use the gearbox its very good but remember its shaft drive and so has no slack in the drive train so be smooth with the rev/road speed synchronization same as the GS. Remember they are very reliable and a well looked after one will do 100k with like problems.

Good luck try one.

I had a S10 for a few years. I do not recall any problems of this nature but I did have a history of riding big twins such as a TDM850 & R1150GS before the S10. I don't tend to look at a rev counter and choose the gear based on the engine note and desired throttle response e.g. a lower gear if waiting for a gap in traffic to overtake.
The nature of big twins is that in some situations it is smoother to keep the revs constant and slip the clutch to control speed e.g. tight mini roundabouts, hairpin bends etc.

I had one of these for a while , never really think about what gear a bike is in - and this one was no different .
Only bike in MANY I had issues with was a new Tiger 955i - - in 30 - 40 ,, it didn’t seem to matter what one did it was Always in the wrong gear !😂

Also rode an S10 for 6 or so years, a great bike with plenty of torque and that's where the problem lies, it's really easy to lug the bike along in a high gear at low speed which doesn't sound great and isn't any good for the bike. As already said, keep it in the right gear for the speed and all will be good.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I've got a 2020 S10 and it's the only bike I've ever had which seems to pull in any gear at any speed!!

It's got oodles of torque and to be honest I don't look at the rev counter at all.

You kind of get a feel for the right revs and gear for each situation and I've never had mine sounding like a bag of nuts and bolts.

I regret not getting an S10 at any stage.

I'm at the stage now where the back is starting to feel the weight of the big bikes.....so I'll probably never own one.

Sent with a Zen10

I regret not getting an S10 at any stage.

I'm at the stage now where the back is starting to feel the weight of the big bikes.....so I'll probably never own one.

Sent with a Zen10
Don't worry its just a good solid bike that will probably go on like the R1150gs but probably more reliable but only time and support will tell. It's a shame it hasn't been replaced the 700 is good but why not a 850/900 triple MT09 based adventure bike. They've done a tourer.

Don't worry its just a good solid bike that will probably go on like the R1150gs but probably more reliable but only time and support will tell. It's a shame it hasn't been replaced the 700 is good but why not a 850/900 triple MT09 based adventure bike. They've done a tourer.

a friend living in California is after a replacement for his 10 year old FJR1300 with 100k on it. In discussions, I said it is sad that the FJR & S10 are no longer available and Yamaha has not created another shaft driven bike. I recommended he look at the Tracer and then when checking what versions are available in the USA, I note they still have the S10 & FJR available. Maybe Yamaha feels the future for Europe is mostly mid range bikes that are cheaper and lighter for an ageing demographic living off unearned income like pensions?

a friend living in California is after a replacement for his 10 year old FJR1300 with 100k on it. In discussions, I said it is sad that the FJR & S10 are no longer available and Yamaha has not created another shaft driven bike. I recommended he look at the Tracer and then when checking what versions are available in the USA, I note they still have the S10 & FJR available. Maybe Yamaha feels the future for Europe is mostly mid range bikes that are cheaper and lighter for an ageing demographic living off unearned income like pensions?

The S10 was killed off in Europe due to emissions. They still sell reasonably well in the US as they conform out there.

The 1200 engine is fantastic.....if they could could get it into a slightly lighter platform.

We can all dream.....

Sent with a Zen10

Don't think I've ever ridden a bike at less than 2k rpm constantly. I've had singles, parallel and v twins, triples and in line 4's.
I think all petrol engines are going to be most responsive in the middle third of the rev range. My 790 Duke redlines at 10k and is mustard between 4 and 7000rpm. Below 2k, and you're having to slip the clutch. My Tiger 800 would go that low but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. My diesel van is okay below 2k, but even an S10 revs higher than that

Back
Top Bottom