Scotland

~Stef~

Reaction score
Dont bother going abroad, just head for Scotland, unless of course your lucky enough to live there in the first place, like me :D

Most roads away from the central belt are great but the A82 has to be done. For more of a challange try the mountain road ot Applecross, only passable in the Spring/Summer.

Been there , done that....but it was so bloody good I'm planning to come back again this August . Can you guarantee the same weather I had last year ? 5 days of sunshine 25 degrees and no midges !!!!

Weathers been great the last few months, I done a 1000mile tour around the highlands last month hardly any rain, but plenty of midges. Big ones with extra teeth. Bring the insect repelant.
Avon Skin So Soft works wonders but avoid Jungle Formula Insect Reppelant, it works like a human marinade for the little buggers.

~Stef~ said:
Weathers been great the last few months, I done a 1000mile tour around the highlands last month hardly any rain, but plenty of midges. Big ones with extra teeth. Bring the insect repelant.
Avon Skin So Soft works wonders but avoid Jungle Formula Insect Reppelant, it works like a human marinade for the little buggers.

Hi,

Was in Scotland for the first time from sept. 1st to september 19th and indeed, it`s awesome. My wife and I covered over 4000 miles of mostly single track roads troughout the grampians and Highlands. Applecross is super but there are plenty other spectacular roads like Kenmore to Amulree, Balmoral to Tomintoul, the B8043 from Kilmalieu to Strontian, really too much to mention. We`ll be back!
Wanna see pictures: http://fotoboek.luiemotorfiets.net/onderwerp/878

BTW, september rules for visiting Scotland as far as I`m concerned: only 2 hours of rain during 3 weeks and 4400 miles!

Excellent photos

J-P,
Looks like you had a super time in Scotland. I recognise so many of your photos. I'm keen as to the route you took uffroad at the Cairn-o-Mount (Pic 4), as I've never explored that bit.
I also think I rcognise the road in South Deeside (Pic 7) which is the Road to Aboyne. I live close by in Banchory and have this luxury on my doorstep. I also see that you found Sillett Tyres in Aberdeen which is one of the best places on the UK for Tyres. Ride in and he'll do everything in a jiffy for a bargain price, he's a top bloke.

I also see you went to the Lynn of Dee which luckily is still mainly tourist free and is a great place for swimming (if a bit cold even in Summer). It's a bit spooky swimming qwith those big ugly Salmon.

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get to Ullapool. That is the premier road in the UK in my opinion.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Re: Excellent photos

AndyT said:
J-P,
Looks like you had a super time in Scotland. I recognise so many of your photos. I'm keen as to the route you took uffroad at Cairn-o-Mount (Pic 4), as I've never explored that bit.

Rest assured, it`s short (but sweat) and a dead end as well. It`s about 500 yds long and there is a small round spot where you can turn.

I also think I rcognise the road in South Deeside (Pic 7) which is the Road to Aboyne. I live close by in Banchory and have this luxury on my doorstep.

We stayed at a friend in Luthermuir (John Clark, a Pan European rider who I met in Austria 3 years ago and a friend for life) for over 2 weeks. From his house we practically made all our trips and we also stayed at a B&B in Dornie with Eilean Donan castle in sight for 3 days to explore the west as much as possible. You`re right about the roads. You are very lucky to live in God`s own country!:bow

I also see that you found Sillett Tyres in Aberdeen which is one of the best places on the UK for Tyres. Ride in and he'll do everything in a jiffy for a bargain price, he's a top bloke.

He is! Both my wife and I needed new rear tyres (that scottisch tarMac is rough, I can tell you that) and John is a regular at Sillet. Although difficult to understand with his Aberdonian accent, he has a great sence of humor and he works increadably fast, he was very hard to make actionpictures off. His prices are even for european standards very competitive!!!!

I also see you went to the Lynn of Dee which luckily is still mainly tourist free and is a great place for swimming (if a bit cold even in Summer). It's a bit spooky swimming qwith those big ugly Salmon.

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get to Ullapool. That is the premier road in the UK in my opinion.

Yes, we did get to Ullapool (A835) which was pretty need on a GS but my wife didn`t enjoy it that much with the Dominator. She needs roads that are small with lots of twisties and blind summits. After Ullapool we went to Drumrunie and took the road past Stack Pollaidh and turned right to Inverkirkaig and Lochinver and we turned left toDrumbeg/ Unapool, those are the roads we like best. Applecross was awesome! Amulree is too!
In the east we went to the Bullers of Buchan in the hope there were still some puffins to be seen (alas).

My friend John was right in convincing me to come to Scotland. During the past week I`ve done nothing but looking through the pictures over and over again, I miss it terribly. Tell me, can a motorcycle instructor earn a living in Scotland? :tears

Scotland 2003

Hi J-P

Having been up to Scotland a few times recently I very much enjoyed tour pics of the trip.
Were these taken with a digital camera or SLR and scanned in?

I see you took some pics "on the move", did you find this easy?

Did you do the A87....top road in my opinion...

Do you plan to go back sometime?......

Cheers..........Clive

BMW 650 GS
XL1000 VARADERO

Re: Scotland 2003

pegasus said:
Hi J-P

Having been up to Scotland a few times recently I very much enjoyed tour pics of the trip.
Were these taken with a digital camera or SLR and scanned in

These were taken with a Canon Ixus300, a very handy little camera especially purchased for making pictures while riding.

I see you took some pics "on the move", did you find this easy

Actually I do. I only rarely use my clutch when up- or downshifting, only when I have to go back to first gear I apply the clutch. My GS shifts much smoother without the clutch as does my PanEuropean (which is Mr. Smooth itself, even after 180K mls). Therefor I have a spare hand so to say and with a small camera like the Ixus it`s a breaze to do so. It akes a bit of practice to aim, for instance this picture was pure luck because this buzzard was sitting on a fence just when my wife passed it and it flew up when she passed it. I was just aiming for her when I saw the buzzard taking off and in a split second I aimed for it. We were doing about 30 mls at that time so it all depended on luck.
Having a GS with plenty of torque is also quite handy, for instance on this applecross descend . Its no problem to just stay in second gear, make pictures with one hand, throtlling with the other and enjoying the view at the same time.

Did you do the A87....top road in my opinion

Actually we did but I think it`s more of a PanEuropean road instead of a GS/NX650 road. We are more into the single track roads and if possible without tarmac :rolleyes: I was riding the unpaved with my Pan untill I bought my GS last june and this is why:
http://www.pernette.nl/reisverhalen/frankrijk2002/fotos/dag9/IMG_1774_dag9.jpg

http://www.pernette.nl/reisverhalen/frankrijk2002/fotos/dag9/IMG_1768_dag9.jpg

http://www.pernette.nl/reisverhalen/frankrijk2002/fotos/dag12/IMG_1954_dag12.jpg

http://www.pernette.nl/reisverhalen/frankrijk2002/fotos/dag12/dag12_kammstrasse_uitzicht.jpg

http://www.pernette.nl/reisverhalen/frankrijk2002/fotos/dag12/dag12_kammstrasse_groteblok.jpg

You long for A GS on those roads, a Pan isn`t all that with surfaces like that. I found out a Pan can do it but I also found out a GS can do that thing better :rolleyes:

Do you plan to go back sometime?......

Oh man, we fell in love with Scotland, there`s no way to describe the feeling we had when we came from the ferry back in IJmuiden. Cagers were very uncivilized and unfriendly and the Netherlands are so flat and to densely populated. We`ll be back for sure!

Next year perhaps, there still remains a lot to be seen and ridden!

I am spendinding more and more time living and travelling around Scotland. I particularly love the wonderful views, curves, hills, forests and valleys. Just can't stay away perhaps I shall be there full time before long.

Oh and the countryside is great too.;)

Tim

timolgra said:
I am spendinding more and more time living and travelling around Scotland. I particularly love the wonderful views, curves, hills, forests and valleys. Just can't stay away perhaps I shall be there full time before long.

Oh and the countryside is great too.;)

I particulary like the skies! They seem far more dramatic than what have ever seen before. My wife and I could spend a lot of time just looking at the sky. And the roads, the people, the surprisingly good food :cool:

Food...??

J-P said:
I particulary like the skies! .........And the roads, the people, the surprisingly good food :cool:
So did you try Aberdeens speciality of deep fried Mars bars!! Another speciality is deep fried Pizza (I kid you not), Oh nad theres another speciality, deep fried meat pies....yum yum...No wonder Scotland is the Heart failure capital of the world.

It is Bonnie up here though. If you go back to Gairlock on the West Coast you must visit the "Old Inn" pub which serves the most fantastic seafood I've ever had, caught fresh that morning. No wonder it won best pub in Scotland.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

scotland

J-P

Thanks for your detailed reply..........

You never know might bump into each other some time (hopefully not literally) on our trips to scotland........

Many thanks...........Clive

Done 900 miles in 4 days up through the highlands and across to Aberdeenshire in the summer. One word sums it up...EXCELLENT!!!! Will definately be back as it is only a short boat trip from N.Ireland, Ricky.

Re: Food...??

AndyT said:
So did you try Aberdeens speciality of deep fried Mars bars!! Another speciality is deep fried Pizza (I kid you not), Oh nad theres another speciality, deep fried meat pies....yum yum...No wonder Scotland is the Heart failure capital of the world.

Haha LOL, heard all about that on the radio when I was in Scotland, appearantly lots of people are overweight. Since I`m too, there was no problem ;) Since my wife is a vegetarian (I can hear some people moaning now :cool:) we had to be selective with our choice of where to eat. When you take a closer look at the menu of the different restaurants you can eat healthy if you want ;)

It is Bonnie up here though. If you go back to Gairlock on the West Coast you must visit the "Old Inn" pub which serves the most fantastic seafood I've ever had, caught fresh that morning. No wonder it won best pub in Scotland.

That sounds great :beerjug: !

Re: scotland

pegasus said:
J-P

Thanks for your detailed reply..........

You never know might bump into each other some time (hopefully not literally) on our trips to scotland........

Many thanks...........Clive

You`re welcome and about that bumping: it`s bad enough I bumped into a deer 4 days before we were going back to the Netherlands. I tried to swerve around it but unfortunately scuffed the deer with my LHS cilinder head, then collided with a rock. This was on the road to Farr, under Inverness. Fantastic road though!

The damage:http://fotoboek.luiemotorfiets.net/onderwerp/895

I was able to ride further although we only went back to Luthermuir and from then on to the ferry a few days later. Thanks to the help of the strap holding my sub frame and a tubigrip (is that how you write it) around my leg I made it home safe `n sound. Another way to always reminisce about Scotland ;)

Great photos of a country I do not appreciate living in enough. Sometimes I need reminding of how nice it is.

Heading back up there again in the morning just to be reminded how friggin cold it is, straight under the duvet I reckon;)

Can just about do Anglesey to Bridge of Allan in 4 1/2 hours now, but will wait for a hopefully 'mild' spell before xmas to ride up and around the Flow country. Fantastic.

I agree with the points about food though, yes you can eat very well on fine foods in Scotland but equally you have every opportunity for an early cardiac arrest, unfortunately many youngsers seem to choose the latter, shame.

Oh well time for some Irn Bru:beer: Friggin M6:(

Tim

scotland

hi j-p ace photo's ,i have been the last five years and off again next year i just love glencoe and applecross once again great photo's

J-P said:
I particulary like the skies! They seem far more dramatic than what have ever seen before. My wife and I could spend a lot of time just looking at the sky. And the roads, the people, the surprisingly good food :cool:

Funny you should say that..I was born and grew up in Scotland, and I used to spend a lot of time looking at the skies. Especially at night. Especially weekends after midnight :beer:
Some fantastic weather up there though. Down here we get climate, up there it's weather...If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait a minute...;-) It's never boring. Freezing, soaking, but never boring....I hesitate to use the expression "never a dull moment"...

franco said:
...If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait a minute...;-) It's never boring. Freezing, soaking, but never boring....I hesitate to use the expression "never a dull moment"...

Scotland the only place where you can get all four seasons weather in one day......anytime of the year.

~Stef~

Back
Top Bottom