Shoei Neotec II - visor leaking… warranty?

Poncherello

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for some steer on how to approach and what is reasonable to expect. I bought a Shoei Neotec II a couple of months ago. I’ve had a few Shoei’s before- full face and modular and liked them with no issues.
A trip to Scotland in biblical rain saw some water drops run inside the visor- which I put down to: volume of rain and consistent “progress” speed over extended periods.
Riding home from work today- there was only a light drizzle and speeds didn’t exceed 40mph- it’s a 20 minute ride. Water…. more than in Scotland was running down the inside to the point I had to flip the visor up- great fun when you wear specs.
I’ve removed the visor, loosened the bolts either side and pushed the mechanisms back. There was only minimal adjustment available but as I understand it, minimal is all that should be required.
I can still slide a sheet of paper between the visor and the rubber - not easily but enough to indicate there is still room for water ingress.
Two questions- is there anything else, other than silicon oil, that I can try ? I’d prefer this to a ride out to the dealer..-and secondly- if I do need to have it sorted, what do I expect from either the dealer or Shoei? I’ve read that their aftersales (Shoei) is good- but I don’t have a spare helmet so will struggle to be without it if it needs to be sent away for them to look at.
Thoughts ?

What you really need is the race truck guys - brilliant they are.

Just a thought though, as we had this issue with my wife's NXR - turned out the visor wasn't fitted to the left side bracket correctly, presumably at the factory, so a guide on the visor was running the wrong side of a channel on the bracket. Everything worked OK, except for a left side draught & water ingress. The pivot bracket on the helmet had become suitably distorted to accommodate the visor's pathway. I simply removed the pivot bracket, dropped it in some hot water & let it relax & reform, before refitting & setting up the visor afresh.

Hopefully my description makes sense - if not the same issue, it just has to be something simple.........hopefully.

I've been really disappointed with my Neotec 2. Always leaks and can't crack the visor open without a huge cap. Considering going back to NXR.

I had the same issue with my Neotec 2 until I realised I hadn't clicked it shut which takes a really firm press. I would have expected the visor to fully close when you bring the chin bar down but it doesn't.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I've been really disappointed with my Neotec 2. Always leaks and can't crack the visor open without a huge cap. Considering going back to NXR.
Yeah, I’m questioning it all- I’ve had a Multi-tec which was good and an XR1000 which I loved. But neither had this issue…even my Doohan replica , back in the day, was better than this.. meh

Don’t fiddle with it any more. Take it back to the shop and ask them for an exchange. Job done.
Thanks- I’m hoping that’s the case-I know £500 isn’t top of the range anymore but I’d hoped for better. I’m going to swing by the shop tomorrow and we’ll see where we go

I had the same issue with my Neotec 2 until I realised I hadn't clicked it shut which takes a really firm press. I would have expected the visor to fully close when you bring the chin bar down but it doesn't.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Yeah, it’s seated correctly - I make a point of both hands squeezing the modular parts at the same time just to be sure. If I don’t “lock” the visor…water comes in at the bottom … if I do… it comes in at the top..😂

Yeah there used to be “micro”?? adjustments where you could just leave a mm or two and avoid needing to use Pinlock . Now it’s either 3” or shut..
I bought my wife an LS2 a few weeks ago, I’m really impressed with it…and not just on cost!..but I think I’m tied in with the warranty.

I own 2 Neotec 2 and have used both all year around in some horrendous weather. Bought them both not long after they were released to replace a Neotec 1. Neither of them have ever leaked. Maybe something has changed with later production. Unlike my Schuberth C3 Pro that used to leak all the time around the visor.

I took mine back to the shop when I first encountered this problem and they adjusted something that fixed it for about 3 months then it started to leak again. I didn’t bother trying again and eventually I removed the pin lock insert because that kept getting water behind it as well. I did hear a rumour that it’s caused by owners riding with the front up causing flexing and I’m guilty of doing that so it might be true.

Probably the most useless crash helmet I’ve ever owned with the only benefit being you can lift the front and drink coffee without getting wet if it’s pissing down rain.

Spoke to the shop- they’ll try and adjust it (😬) but I’m not hopeful. If they send it away I’m stuck as I have one helmet..so looks like I might need to buy a spare. Any suggestions? I don’t want to break the bank and there’s nothing in the for sale section. Recommendation for a lower price point lid?

So, took it to J&S.. their chap noted that some screws in the mechanism were loose (on a new helmet?!) and tightened them. They took some pics and emailed Shoei.
The next time I wore it in rain..rain just trickled down the inside all the way home… I know that many have had great things to say but my £30 brain bucket in the 80s was more weatherproof.
Anyway, Shoei are taking it back to look at and I’m dropping it in tomorrow.
I’ll need to buy a spare lid from the shop to wear in the interim- flip or adventure style preferred- any budget options that would leap out as good value? I don’t want to spend another £400 and accept it’ll be a compromise at the lower price point.

Had zero problems with mine, except after fitting the SRL Mesh, the cheek pad poppers seem a little too pop out easily when removing the lid. I checked with J&S before buying my neotech and they said any leakage would be dealt with promptly under warranty, which I guess means that if it starts leaking in the 5 year warranty period and there's no more "2's" around, they'd replace it with a "3".

Had zero problems with mine, except after fitting the SRL Mesh, the cheek pad poppers seem a little too pop out easily when removing the lid. I checked with J&S before buying my neotech and they said any leakage would be dealt with promptly under warranty, which I guess means that if it starts leaking in the 5 year warranty period and there's no more "2's" around, they'd replace it with a "3".
I hope so, j&s posted it away yesterday. They did say that it wasn’t direct to Shoei, instead it was to their sole agent (Feradax?) who dealt with all warranty in the UK as a result.

Back
Top Bottom