Starter motor relay recall…

Sounds bizarre
You’re right. Looks like the fix wasn’t applied to all bikes, and maybe a fix to the fix is needed now.
The local Dealer says there is a “delivery stop“ but the demo bike is currently still available for rides.
I’m going there on Friday, will post any updates ( if there are any ). 😬

You’re right. Looks like the fix wasn’t applied to all bikes, and maybe a fix to the fix is needed now.
The local Dealer says there is a “delivery stop“ but the demo bike is currently still available for rides.
I checked my bike through its VIN - no recall reported :) I guess they have not updated the database yet.

Brief update: The Dealer confirmed that any 13s ready for delivery must have the starter relax fix before handover. Replacement starter relays are due next week.
It’s anticipated that the bikes on order will have the fix applied during their manufacture.
Mine is due mid March 🤞🤞🤞

That is what you get if BMW sources the parts in Pooland or China to save a few cents getting faulty plastic casings to let moisture in and shorten things out…👍 No big deal to fix with quality parts that apparently cant be made in Germany anymore because the idiots in Berlin have made energy unaffordable for industry & people 😳 Until then just remember if its starts smoking just disconnect the battery…fast and have good insurance on bike and house if its stored in the garage 😉

That is what you get if BMW sources the parts in Pooland or China to save a few cents getting faulty plastic casings to let moisture in and shorten things out…👍 No big deal to fix with quality parts that apparently cant be made in Germany anymore because the idiots in Berlin have made energy unaffordable for industry & people 😳 Until then just remember if its starts smoking just disconnect the battery…fast and have good insurance on bike and house if its stored in the garage 😉
Meanwhile I have a cheap (relatively) smartphone, made in China, which can survive immersed in 1.5m of water, being dropped from higher onto concrete and then a 1300GS riding over it. Though preferably not while the latter is on 🔥

Failure is almost certainly not because the parts are "cheap", but either a manufacturing batch issue or poorly specified. The rumours about the casings being damaged in bike assembly, if true, would suggest the latter. It's *highly* likely the relays themselves were designed IP67 or better.

I’m in now having my first service. Dealer said that some chassis numbers were stopped from going out, and others were released, but all relays are being replaced eventually.

Putt1ck apparently the relays are faulty and get replaced by new ones on bikes manufactured after january 16…

My 1300 has finally arrived downunder but the world-wide "Stop Sale" has delayed delivery. My dealer called to advise me the revised starter relay is being air-freighted and expected to arrive in Melbourne on 8th Feb. The delivery delay is a little disappointing, but I won't lose my mind over this like many in this forum seem to be. With over 50 years experience in the automotive service industry, I can assure you virtually every automotive mnanufacturer deals with component failures such as this from time to time. I realise early adopters take a higher risk of problems, but after owning two R1250GS bikes without any problems at all, I have every confidence in the BMW brand, so that's a risk I'm prepared to take.

The 1190SAS which I ordered on the basis of Ride's test of a pre-production model had, among numerous faults, a poorly specced starter motor. For the nice weather only, stored in a garage attached to a battery conditioner this wasn't an issue, but if you actually used the bike all year... On cold mornings the battery wouldn't have enough current to turn the motor over fast enough, which was something you could workaround by sticking it on a fast charger for 10 minutes. But after an overnight event it's so embarrassing to have to call the breakdown assist people on your 6 week old bike...

My dealer eventually resolved it by swapping in a starter from a 1290 Super Duke having already followed KTM's guidance and, on consecutive visits, swapped the starter for an identical one, changed the battery and updated the software.

My 1300 has finally arrived downunder but the world-wide "Stop Sale" has delayed delivery. My dealer called to advise me the revised starter relay is being air-freighted and expected to arrive in Melbourne on 8th Feb. The delivery delay is a little disappointing, but I won't lose my mind over this like many in this forum seem to be. With over 50 years experience in the automotive service industry, I can assure you virtually every automotive mnanufacturer deals with component failures such as this from time to time. I realise early adopters take a higher risk of problems, but after owning two R1250GS bikes without any problems at all, I have every confidence in the BMW brand, so that's a risk I'm prepared to take.
I've done 1000 miles on my 1300 now so quite used to it. We arrive in Melbourne on the 13th feb for a month so if you would like me to run it in for you that wouldn't be a problem (y):D

Have the relay replacements started already? It is quite difficult to understand what is BMW plan and when they estimate to close the recall.

Have the relay replacements started already? It is quite difficult to understand what is BMW plan and when they estimate to close the recall.
Don't think they will ever "close" it until they've all been checked or changed. It's a service item at the moment I think, not a DVLA recall at this time. It's on the BMW site as an "enhancement". Guess they'll change them when the dealers have supplies.

Don't think they will ever "close" it until they've all been checked or changed. It's a service item at the moment I think, not a DVLA recall at this time. It's on the BMW site as an "enhancement". Guess they'll change them when the dealers have supplies.
Let me rephrase the question - Are there any updates regarding when the dealers get the new relays. I have been waiting to get my new bike released

Back
Top Bottom