Starter Relay Loom Corrosion

st247

Reaction score
After the bike failing to start the other morning i finally got around to sorting it out. Plenty of juice in the battery, and i could hear the the starter relay clicking. Nothing from the starter motor though.

After a quick check around this is what i found - One of the wires on the bottom of the starter relay had corroded and snapped off (it should be where the red circle is in the picture). A bit strange when you consider where it's located.

Anyway, bike now fixed, and something else to keep in mind:rolleyes:

DSCF0138.JPG

ACF50 grease is a good product to prevent this sort of corrosion. I know, stable door and horse. :D

ACF50 grease is a good product to prevent this sort of corrosion. I know, stable door and horse. :D

Aye, true enough. Given it's location though i wouldn't have thought it was needed. God knows what the connectors under the tank look like.

Aye, true enough. Given it's location though i wouldn't have thought it was needed. God knows what the connectors under the tank look like.

I think you'll find the connectors under the tank are are all weather protected and will be ok. This relay should have had a rubber boot on it. I had exactly the same fault on an Offroad Skills bike.

Thanks a lot. (Note to self: strip bike, preserve wiring connectors.)

Back
Top Bottom