Starting Problems

bluebilly32

Hi all, I'd be really grateful if I might get a solution to my problem. My GS1150 has 81,000 km. I was recently having trouble with the battery holding its charge (new battery). I checked the altenator belt and adjusted it (by the book 20Nm). I also was going to adjust the valve clearances and took a look at the left hand side when I realised I'd misplaced the tool for checking the Gap. I put everything back together but the bike won't start. There is a spark from both plugs and the battery is fully charged. There is fuel in the tank and the throttle cables look to be seated fine. I've tried starting it this evening as well but no good.The engine is turning over fine. The ignition cable under the Altenator looks fine and I'm pretty sure I didn't damage it.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Bill:blast

Have you left off the wires to the fuel pump? When you switch on do you hear the fuel pump start?

dont ask me how I know

Check its not in gear, I almost had the whole wiring loom out before I sussed it ahem:mmmm:mmmm:blast
Hodge

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I didn't intentionally disconnect the fuel pump, so i'll check that in the morning. I definately think its fuel starvation. Any idea where the fuel pump is located ?
Cheers
Bill

Thanks for getting back to me. No still not starting and not in gear!! Any other ideas?Has to be something very simple, I'm thinking fuel starvation.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I didn't intentionally disconnect the fuel pump, so i'll check that in the morning. I definately think its fuel starvation. Any idea where the fuel pump is located ?
Cheers
Bill

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank... I think!
Check the electric connectors. When you turn the ignition on, do you hear the buzz from the the fuel pump? If you do, it's working fine. Unless the fuel lines are somehow strangulated...

I checked the fuel pump, seems to be working fine. Any idea how I would drain the petrol out of the tank in case water has found its way in there?

I checked the fuel pump, seems to be working fine. Any idea how I would drain the petrol out of the tank in case water has found its way in there?

I think you'd need a lot of water in the tank for that to affect it; I know I've got at least half a litre in mine, and I've run out of fuel before today without the water being taken up.

Can't think of much to help, though I would check the fuel pipe runs for strangulation, as mentioned above. I seem to recall doing that on mine within the last year.

Dave.

Water

Does this mean my bike wil run on water?.
dave gs. ( I can see a lot of free fuel coming down on tomrrows run!).

Back
Top Bottom