tell me about your V85tt ownership

When I see that snow and ice I'm glad it was only raining when I was there.

It wasn’t that bad Al, it was just really low cloud, a km down the other side and we poked out of the clouds, it cleared up and this pic is about an hour after that snowy adventure. One of the Facebook touring groups was up in arms about how irresponsible and reckless we were, and how we’d put other people in jeopardy when we needed rescuing it was about 2-3km of snow and easy riding.

9344a566cd0e3dc1320fef62c46a3e78.jpg

Blimey. I’m surprised the elders on here didn’t assassinate you :)

Looks a good one.

Just in Milan collecting bike from storage tomorrow for part 2, ride home

The finish & quality of parts like brake lines and banjos etc on my 2009 Guzzi 1200Sport was loads better than my 2011 GS. I really should’ve got a go on a V85TT before I bought my Norden as there are some lovely looking bikes in this thread and I loved the character of my Sport , which the Norden is slightly lacking. However , it’s great fun and goes like stink plus it looks pretty good too , better in the Expedition colours.

Fitted a Power Bronze touring screen today, but won't be able test it's effectiveness until next week. Ordered direct from Power Bronze, arrived within 48 hours, cost £104 inc del.
View attachment 287050View attachment 287051
Looks good Al, I have the MG Touring Screen on mine but felt it still needed a little £15 ebay deflector on top to eliminate buffeting.....which it does really well, visor up at 70 👍20230912_121039.jpg

The tint on the others clashed with the colour of my eyes:D

The standard one seemed too short, I'm hoping for a little more weather protection with the larger screen.

Good call
It’s always tough finding a screen to suit

Fitted a Power Bronze touring screen today, but won't be able test it's effectiveness until next week. Ordered direct from Power Bronze, arrived within 48 hours, cost £104 inc del.
View attachment 287050View attachment 287051
What's your opinion of the overall quality of the screen and the alignment of the mounting holes? After experimenting with the MG standard screen and a cheap eBay deflector the Powerbronze screen looked to be spot-on for height for me. However, I was put off by the Trustpilot reviews of the company and more specifically a couple about their V85 screen.

What’s wrong with the other screens?
For many people their biggest issue with the V85TT is wind noise and or buffeting. Lots of “fixes” from ever bigger/smaller screens to little deflectors on top of the screen, to ”mickey mouse ears” fixed into the slot in the tank for the forks when on full lock.

Imho it’s not brilliant in respect of wind protection above 60 ish, but no noisier than lots of other bikes I’ve owned. Buffeting is only really a problem in cross winds on the motorway. But ride the bike where it’s at its best and at its best speeds ie back roads at 50-60 and it’s a fantastic bike.

Agree, Austin!

I have ended up using the standard low, smoked "sporty" screen most of the year. Lots of airflow but no buffetting.

In deepest winter I have used a Givi Airflow to good effect. Ugly as ****, but good protection when I commuted 330 miles each way to my brother in Dorset. The Givi, with bar muffs made a 330 mile journey in snow just about acceptable - definitely would not want that Givi screen for a whizz past Ribblehead on a sunny day tho ;)

For many people their biggest issue with the V85TT is wind noise and or buffeting. Lots of “fixes” from ever bigger/smaller screens to little deflectors on top of the screen, to ”mickey mouse ears” fixed into the slot in the tank for the forks when on full lock.

Imho it’s not brilliant in respect of wind protection above 60 ish, but no noisier than lots of other bikes I’ve owned. Buffeting is only really a problem in cross winds on the motorway. But ride the bike where it’s at its best and at its best speeds ie back roads at 50-60 and it’s a fantastic bike.
Time spent on various bikes has taught me that if the stock screen doesn't work for you the end result can be a financial black-hole you tumble into, often with little improvement.

With the short MG stock screen, a Puig Mk. 2 Clip-On Deflector and the de Byl tank Deflectors I've reached an acceptable level of comfort on the bike. At 5' 8'' with a 30" inside leg I was initially experiencing the horrible helmet buffeting that many users complain of. The de Byl Deflectors eliminated the worst and the Puig Clip-On shifted the airflow just over my helmet enabling visor up riding at most speeds whilst still allowing air around my upper shoulders. If anything my helmet can now seem a little stuffy at times however the Puig Clip can be slid down to increase the air flow to it.

I've had a couple of runs out now, it's looking like having the screen at it's tallest position is the optimum for me. The wind is hitting the top of my lid, there's no buffeting but perhaps it's a little more noisy than the lower standard screen where the wind struck me on the highest part of my chest. I don't normally wear ear plugs, perhaps I might start to use them for long runs. I'll keep trying different positions to see if I can improve it more, but at the moment it's not too bad.

Agree, Austin!

I have ended up using the standard low, smoked "sporty" screen most of the year. Lots of airflow but no buffetting.

In deepest winter I have used a Givi Airflow to good effect. Ugly as ****, but good protection when I commuted 330 miles each way to my brother in Dorset. The Givi, with bar muffs made a 330 mile journey in snow just about acceptable - definitely would not want that Givi screen for a whizz past Ribblehead on a sunny day tho ;)
I use just the bottom half of a Givi airflow. Works for me.

Just to add to the wind noise debate. It is clearly subjective. Initially the buffeting and wind noise drove me mad. Standard seat and 6’. MG’s touring screen made it much worse. For me, what works best is a) cheap screen extender, b) Mickey Mouse ears and c) Givi hand guard extenders. I now get no buffeting and minor wind noise only at ‘good progress’ speeds so absolutely fine.

Just to add to the wind noise debate. It is clearly subjective. Initially the buffeting and wind noise drove me mad. Standard seat and 6’. MG’s touring screen made it much worse. For me, what works best is a) cheap screen extender, b) Mickey Mouse ears and c) Givi hand guard extenders. I now get no buffeting and minor wind noise only at ‘good progress’ speeds so absolutely fine.
Is that extender with the standard low screen or the touring screen. Just thinking of things to try. Those Mickey Mouse thingies seem to be widely liked.

Back
Top Bottom