Valve clearances

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a set of Wunderlich feeler guages and intend using them as part of my bike service in june.

Nippy Norman says that the guages are suitable for the LC and the set contains a pair of 0.15mm blades for the inlet (0.10 to 0.17mm :thumb) and a pair of 0.30mm for the exhaust ....... where the spec is 0.34 to 0.41mm :blast

Those specs are from both Haynes and Jim von Baden.

Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly?

As a rule of thumb I always take critical specs form the manufacturer's workshop manual / owner's manual.

I would never go with info supplied by somebody such as NN.

Andres

Agreed but they are made by Wunderlich and the specs I quote are from Haynes and Jim Von Baden to whom I give credibility. I have his service dvd but wouldn’t mind a source for the BMW item........

Wunderlich feeler guages should be accurate and providing they contain gauges of relevant sizes for the job should be fine.

A set of feeler gauges is not specific to a certain bike unless it only contains the specific sizes for that bike

Why not buy a proper set of feeler blades that have all the sizes in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot see how a .03 blade would be suitable for a .034-.041. First of all I’d be getting my information from a reliable source then I’d get the correct feeler gauge. If the tolerance is as said I’d use any make of blades. JJH

I’ve checked in the BMW workshop manual. The valve clearances, to be set on a cold engine (no hotter than 35 degrees C ) are:

Inlet 0.10 to 0.17 mm

Exhaust 0.34 to 0.41 mm

Which is the same as the OP.

This means that the NN Wunderlich feeler blades are no good for the exhaust valve clearance.

I’ve checked in the BMW workshop manual. The valve clearances, to be set on a cold engine (no hotter than 35 degrees C ) are:

Inlet 0.10 to 0.17 mm

Exhaust 0.34 to 0.41 mm

Which is the same as the OP.

This means that the NN Wunderlich feeler blades are no good for the exhaust valve clearance.

Thanks Karlos. Looks like I’ll be getting a couple of sets of metric feeler gauges then :rolleyes:

I bought a set of metric/imperial feelers as you get a better range.
Then use them and get to a point where one goes in and the next one will not and you have your reading - as shown on Jims`s service DVD.
Always works a treat for me.
Just my ramblings!!

I cannot see how a .03 blade would be suitable for a .034-.041. First of all I’d be getting my information from a reliable source then I’d get the correct feeler gauge. If the tolerance is as said I’d use any make of blades. JJH

I’d use a.35 and .4 or combination adding up to that thickness

If you are buying a set of feeler gauges. I would recommend Snapon or Bluepoint go/no go.

I’d use a.35 and .4 or combination adding up to that thickness

The op left me with the impression that he was going to use a .3 feeler blade to adjust a gap with minimum gap of .34. If he was going to do that on advice obtained from whatever source it would result in a gap that is too tight. Nowhere in the post does he suggest that he was going to use additional blades. My advice was to get the correct advice and that any blade/s of the correct thickness would suffice. JJH

The op left me with the impression that he was going to use a .3 feeler blade to adjust a gap with minimum gap of .34. If he was going to do that on advice obtained from whatever source it would result in a gap that is too tight. Nowhere in the post does he suggest that he was going to use additional blades. My advice was to get the correct advice and that any blade/s of the correct thickness would suffice. JJH
Precisely. A 0.3mm gauge made especially to measure a a 0.34mm gap? Somebody at Wunderlich needs some maths classes.

Thanks Karlos. Looks like I’ll be getting a couple of sets of metric feeler gauges then :rolleyes:

Couple of sets ? Buy one set of proper flip out feeler gauges that cover from 0.5 up to 1mm. :nenau

Why buy a single gauge ?

Back
Top Bottom