Waterproof clothing issue

Lots of good kit out there, as listed by some.

I think the important bits are to manage your workload and steam production and have the right amount of clothing on. If you are done up like a boil in the bag meal, you’ll become one. Lots of thin layers then add or remove as time and weather go by.

I tend to walk to a breathing rate, eg on a big walk and going up a long hill with a load, a speed I can maintain breathing through my nose, not panting. Then I don’t sweat bucket loads. But a one hour walk up a hill for exercise, much harder and faster and sweatier.
 
Agree with that. I keep the pit zips open on mine for steep ascents (surprisingly I've not has many issues with much if any water getting in) and if wearing a mid layer, remove it before the ascent and just have a wickable HH long sleeved base layer under the jacket. I also slacken off the cuffs to help air circulation and wear a WP hat rather than use the hood as I find my glasses steam up otherwise! Trick with steep uphills is to take your time and try to avoid excessive exertion. Walkg poles are a massive help here. Jacket is reasonably comfortable and I still feel dry and warm after a climb. Mid layer goes back on if cooler and windy and rarely get cold. Big no-no is any cotton base layers though as any sweat will cause a chill and cotton stays wet and cold once damp.
 
When working i.e walking in the cold and wet to the point where you are working up a sweat it is vital to have Vent stops.

certainly in the extreme cold, sweat is a killer
 
Just back from a weekend hiking in the Lakes. On the Saturday, weather was biblically wet most of the day! Tried getting across from Easedale Tarn to Helm Crag but it was totally impassable due to the tarn outlet in full spate putting the trail under several feet of fast moving water. One of my mates had an expensive Arc-teryx Beta jacket...only a few years old, delaminating already and it seemed to be letting some of the rain (which was coming at us sideways) through. The other was using a Rab Firewall and it performed better but totally wetted out. I was the only one of us who stayed bone dry in the Makalu jacket which still continued to breath well, so kept me from overheating on the climb up. Well chuffed with it. Tried some new to me Craghoppers Stefan waterproof hiking trousers which are the first pair ever to keep me bone dry throughout and comfortable. RE jackets, perhaps goretex isn't as bad as cracked up to be, certainly my experiences to date with the Mountain Equipment Makalu have been extremely positive.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2634.MOV.jpg
    IMG_2634.MOV.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 5
According to google... the font of all knowledge 😁

Paramo leaks in heavy rain, goretex doesnt.
Although Paramo has better wicking.

So in short if you wear Paramo you will get wet, but it will wick away quicker.

Unfortunately I'm trying to avoid getting wet in the first place lol
Well I have worn Paramo for years, I have never been wet, but Google knows best. If out and I get a damp patch, I nikwax it and it gets reproofed.
 
Can’t believe you’re not a Paramo fan

Some people swear their clothing is worthy of deity status

I have a friend who is a keen hill walker and he swears by it, rather than at it
I first came across Paramo when the local mountain rescue team were kitted out with it. I then bought my own kit for myself and family. Been very impressed for years. Managed to rip my smock, sent it back to Paramo and it came back repaired and as new. I did buy a replacement jacket as the repair took a couple of months, so now I have a smock and jacket :)
 
I found if pissing down but NOT blowing a gale or freezing then have a baggy waterproof outer layer. This lets any moisture built up underneath disperse without wetting out any under layers.

I see a lot of people wet through because their outer waterproof is skin tight not letting any air flow.

Always works for me. :nenau
 
I found if pissing down but NOT blowing a gale or freezing then have a baggy waterproof outer layer. This lets any moisture built up underneath disperse without wetting out any under layers.

I see a lot of people wet through because their outer waterproof is skin tight not letting any air flow.

Always works for me. :nenau
Also long sleeve wicking base layer.

Nothing worse than wearing a t-short and having a wet outer on your arms, sometimes the water hasnt come through, but it feels like it has.
The long sleeves is a lot comfier.

Combined with a waterproof tilly type hat to stop water going down your neck.
OR
an umbrella.
pack one of these short ones you can get, Helinox of the chair fame do one
 
Interesting, if you stick it out.

It is. My own experience tells me that Craghoppers still provides a few pretty decent garments that do offer vfm and do work as claimed. Their Stephan WP trousers are one example. I found them every bit as good if not better than equivalent models from Hagloffs or Rohan. However their basic polyester trousers are now well overpriced and don't last as long as my Rohan bags which are much better made.

Not yet come across a really poor product from Rab; I really rate some of their clothing and kit but the guy in the vid has a point; they have hiked up their lifestyle garments beyond what they're worth. I have a Fjern Aktiv II puffer which equals or betters their micro jacket for less than half the cost.

Berghaus imho have gone down a lot in quality compared to what they used to be. I still have an old performance shell jacket and it still keeps the water out after years of use. Newer ones, like a 2L jacket I bought for my wife last year is not near as good, is badly cut and wets out surprisingly fast. Wouldn't buy anything from them again.

Paramo imho are worth the money. Their velez smock in particular is still a brilliant jacket if costly these days. I'd agree with the reviewer that Keela are well worth it too. Great jackets. I'd say the same for some of Montane's stuff and Mountain Equipment's products but do feel that ME are asking a bit too much this last few years as their prices have crept up quite a bit.
 
When you buy anything for the outdoors its important to do you homework.

Some companies are very vague about waterproof.
I went in Decathlon in Manchester and was looking for an all day waterproof jacket.
reading labels none of their jackets claim to be waterproof but they do say showerproof?

Stood on the side of Scarfell in howling wind and rain.... is that a shower, i don't think so.

as a guide, mountain rescue tend to use the following

Keela Munro Jacket
Paramor Mens Alta III Jacket
Buffalo Special 6 Shirt
Helly Hansen Men's Odin 9 Worlds 3.0 Jacket

All used as part of a layering system.
 
It is. My own experience tells me that Craghoppers still provides a few pretty decent garments that do offer vfm and do work as claimed. Their Stephan WP trousers are one example. I found them every bit as good if not better than equivalent models from Hagloffs or Rohan. However their basic polyester trousers are now well overpriced and don't last as long as my Rohan bags which are much better made.

Not yet come across a really poor product from Rab; I really rate some of their clothing and kit but the guy in the vid has a point; they have hiked up their lifestyle garments beyond what they're worth. I have a Fjern Aktiv II puffer which equals or betters their micro jacket for less than half the cost.

Berghaus imho have gone down a lot in quality compared to what they used to be. I still have an old performance shell jacket and it still keeps the water out after years of use. Newer ones, like a 2L jacket I bought for my wife last year is not near as good, is badly cut and wets out surprisingly fast. Wouldn't buy anything from them again.

Paramo imho are worth the money. Their velez smock in particular is still a brilliant jacket if costly these days. I'd agree with the reviewer that Keela are well worth it too. Great jackets. I'd say the same for some of Montane's stuff and Mountain Equipment's products but do feel that ME are asking a bit too much this last few years as their prices have crept up quite a bit.
Been using Paramo for years, have a Valez smock and jacket, plus trousers. Only complaint is they are warm in the summer. Wife has the same, been very happy with them, although a repair to my smock took ages, hence I bought the jacket whilst I waited. They also do good Bluelight card discount if you have one :)
 
My wife has a paramo jacket and really rates it. It's been out in the mountains with her from her expedition days in Peru through to touring the States and here in some pretty atrocious weather.
 
Interesting, if you stick it out.

We were issued as specialists with Keela jackets and trousers and they were and still are excellent kit (kept them when I retired ... .we were allowed to as they were personal issue).
Similarly I was so impressed with the Paramo kit used at work I bought one of the Velez smocks over 16 years ago and it is still 100% waterproof.
Montane has it's factory and factory shop about 12 miles down the road and I have one of their lightweight jackets which was 50% off retail and at £120 an excellent bargain .

As for the other stuff Mountain Warehouse jackets have never proved either waterproof or long lasting (zips and velcro failures) and the last few bits of Craghoppers gear bought in the past 8 years or so have been utter pisch
 


Back
Top Bottom