What about spectating

lostrider

Getting my 1200GS in November so what better challenge than to go down to Morocco and watch these guys racing their cars across the sands over the New Year.
Do you guys know if spectating is allowed and would anybody be interested in joining me
Dennis

as far as i know spectators and camp followers are ok

as its not officially an organised thing like sort of ?
and we can sure make yer a cuppa at one of the many bivvys along the way..

I have a feeling Dennis might be talking about the 'proper' Dakar Slimbo...ya know, the one with all the back-up trucks and luxury suport vehicles, not the budget un-supported one we're doing ;)

Dennis???

Well done Slimbo you were right.:beerjug:
Well sort of - as they are both around the same time of year I thought about trying to get to see a bit of both.
Obviously the BIG ONE has proper stops on a fixed day where this one appears to be a bit more fluid. The website just gives days from the start not dates.
If you've got some likely dates or a more detailed route that would be helpful - and I can always clean your car!!

no problems lost rider . the first big date is newyears eve in gibraltar /newyears day for pre africa prep... bring your chammy!!!!

psssst.......you think we should tell him we might have a spare seat for him in the landy???

;)

Ur alright I'll have me trusty steed ;) Assuming the thing doesn't suffer the same things that other 1200's seem to be suffering with.
New Years Eve in Gib sounds perfect - might see if I can get some others along.
I've got contacts at Land Rover if you've got any issues need resolving.
Also want to go over into Morocco if you've got any info. on that bit.

Re: as far as i know spectators and camp followers are ok

slimbo said:
as its not officially an organised thing like sort of ?
and we can sure make yer a cuppa at one of the many bivvys along the way..

Im not very camp, but can I ride a part of the trip anyway?:cool:

seriously would be love to give you fellas a cheer and buy you dinner en route. Do you have a route yet - or is it still secret like the Bcn-dakar?;)

Hey Fanum and Slimbo

I might be gatecrashing your New Year's Eve party in Gib - I'll be on my way south and haven't decided yet if I'll be at Barcelona for the New Year's Eve BMW bash there or further on down... I'll be on my way to Timbuktoo so we're bound to see each other somewhere en-route.
Otherwise, get the bubbly chilled at Gib - Ethel, Maggie (hopefully) and I will be there:beerjug:

Looks like things are coming together. Booked ferry to arrive in St Malo morning of 28th Dec then riding south. Have been in contact with a guy on the HU message board and we have a tentative route in Morocco.
So the provisional plan is:

30/12/04 - Vigo (NW Spain) - Coimbra (Portugal)
31/12/04 - Coimbra -Tarifa
(from this, mixing road and off road)
01/01/05 - Tarifa-Tanger-Fes
02 - Fes-Beni Mellal
03 - Beni Mellal - Tazzakht
04 - Tazzakht - Merzouga
05 - Merzouga - Zagora
06 - Zagora - Tazenakht
07 - Tazenakht - Marrakech
08 - Marrakech - Meknes
09 - Meknes - Beja (Spain)
10/01/05 Beja - Vigo (only on tarmac)

A lot depends when you 2 rallies get a timetable out. Haven't seen Tiff since the HU rally in Ripley so it would be great to meet up again.
Any other interested parties are more than welcome :beerjug:

hi dennis,
name is tony, met you on nicks europe challenge (yellow bmw gs) and am interested in this dakar trip.
been to morrocco before this year so fancy it again.
so if theres room for one more i could be up for it?
tony

tonytee said:
hi dennis,
name is tony, met you on nicks europe challenge (yellow bmw gs) and am interested in this dakar trip.
been to morrocco before this year so fancy it again.
so if theres room for one more i could be up for it?
tony

?????:confused: ????

Pressed the return button too soon! And we are coming to see you in Gibralter for New Years Eve! Any news on the route yet. I see the other is now published.

just had a look ...

we are crossing into africa the same time as the paris dakar boys (should be interesting!!)
as the liason granada to rabat is for the 2nd jan .....
the route to gib will be haphazard as tis a free for all to get there..
its the african side we get together..
en route to marakesh..

some of us are working

as some of us have to keep the wheels of the NHS turning over xmas......i wont be able to make your send off on 28th dec
are you having a bit of a bash before then.....
when are you coming back...assuming (and i have every faith) that you complete the run.......

Back
Top Bottom