Yet another car insurance query - this time about No Claims Bonus

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yet another car insurance query - this time about No Claims Bonus.

A bit fiddly so I’ll try to keep it brief.

Me and wifey each have max No Claims Bonus (NCB) for car cover. We dropped from two cars to one around Covid time but it’s possible we’ll have another car in future, so we want to keep our max NCB and are aware most insurers only let you use your proof of NCB if it’s no more than 2 years old (3 years in the case of Direct Line if it’s from a DL policy and you plan to use it for a DL policy. I think.)

Anyway, in 2022 I say to DL that I want to renew but in my wife’s name instead of mine so she can keep her NCB ticking over for that coming year, the plan being that at the end of that insurance year, I will insure it in my name for the following year and so on. In that way, we each maintain max NCB and proof of it should never get older than 2 years.

I mention the above to Direct Line in Nov 2022. On mentioning this, DL bod says we don’t need separate policies, because the main driver earns the NCB so all we need to do is swap the main driver each year and the same objective is achieved but without needing to take out a new policy. We do that. Although I shop around each year, DL is competitive so I stick with them for several years up to now.

I should maybe say I have been very pleased generally with DL who seem decent to deal with (and I am no fan of insurance companies). Their automated telephone triage system introduced recently is appalling, but that’s another thing.

Fast forward to now and I’m about to buy a 2nd car. DL on this occasion is not competitive or close enough for me to insure 2nd car with them so I ask for proof of NCB in wife’s name for a 2nd policy. After DL bod checks with someone else, that proof of NCB was promised within 24 to 48 hours but has not yet materialised and the timescale is about to expire. This may lead to me kicking up a small fuss. My Spidey-sense tells me something may be amiss and maybe the promised NCB proof isn’t about to be supplied as easily as DL said it would.

As insurance queries pop up here from time to time, I thought it worth a mention in case anyone else has had similar and might have some bright idea I haven’t yet thought of to try and keep things simple but use the acquired NCB rather than have to go back to zero.

The fact that premiums are climbing alarmingly doesn’t help. That and the claim I made last year. Only claim in 25+ years and NCB (protected) was unaffected. 2mph interface with low wall, crease to plastic wraparound bumper and tiny mark on metal tailgate. Somehow this managed to cost £2.6k to rectify. DL settled the claim promptly and without quibble. Their courtesy car people were less straightforward but that’s also another matter.

What say the collective (if they’ve stayed awake this far)?

Anyway, in 2022 I say to DL that I want to renew but in my wife’s name instead of mine so she can keep her NCB ticking over for that coming year, the plan being that at the end of that insurance year, I will insure it in my name for the following year and so on. In that way, we each maintain max NCB and proof of it should never get older than 2 years.

should have done the above and ignored the bollocks below

I mention the above to Direct Line in Nov 2022. On mentioning this, DL bod says we don’t need separate policies, because the main driver earns the NCB so all we need to do is swap the main driver each year and the same objective is achieved but without needing to take out a new policy. We do that. Although I shop around each year, DL is competitive so I stick with them for several years up to now.

I would buy the new policy without NCD due to the urgency and raise a formal complaint with DL. They might eventually issue proof of NCD which you can retrospectively ask the new insurer to consider. If DL does not play ball and issue the NCD proof then you can escalate the complaint and seek compensation. This will mean DL will have to get the recordings out and if you were misled then they might offer compensation. If that does not happen you can seek arbitration from the ombudsman.

I think we need more info on the claim that you slipped in quietly at the end.
IIUC even a protected no claims bonus is affected by a claim, it’s just affected less.
So if you have protected it and have a bump, you only lose a proportion of your NCB after 1 bump, not all of it. For instance, you may lose 4 years of it rather than all of it.

should have done the above and ignored the bollocks below

I would buy the new policy without NCD due to the urgency and raise a formal complaint with DL. They might eventually issue proof of NCD which you can retrospectively ask the new insurer to consider. If DL does not play ball and issue the NCD proof then you can escalate the complaint and seek compensation. This will mean DL will have to get the recordings out and if you were misled then they might offer compensation. If that does not happen you can seek arbitration from the ombudsman.
Thanks. Yes indeed, with hindsight why I didn't stick to my original plan I don't know :blast

Before seeing your post, I phoned DL and chased up the proof of NCB. I'm assured it will be with me within 24 hours despite already being late for the 48 hour timescale given earlier.

Also, I was slightly losing the will to live and have less patience as they years pass so have insured the additional car with DL even though about £100 dearer than others on comparison sites on the basis it will be harder for them to argue the toss about NCB etc when we've both been insured with them for several years. Rightly or wrongly, I take the view that it may be an easier discussion with them than having to complain to DL but ALSO have argy bargy with a new insurer too. I may have some leverage over DL which I wouldn't with a new insurer. I've insured with max NCB (still bally expensive compared to last year) and am ready for a fight if they say you can't have max NCB on the 2nd car. So far no mention of the need for NCB proof (it's coming from them anyway) but we'll see. I don't like loose ends but will have to sit tight and await developments.

I like your thinking about complaint and potentially ombudsman. I'm not shy of making complaints if justified but they do take some time and effort. I raised an issue in passing with DL about a minor issue re the claim I made last year. I didn't submit it as a complaint but just passed an observation on some duff info from a call hander and lack of response to an email. With minimal investigation DL construed it as a complaint despite me not expressing it as such and shortly after sent me £200 for poor service. Fair play on that score. However, that's more than wiped out by premium increases.

I think we need more info on the claim that you slipped in quietly at the end.
IIUC even a protected no claims bonus is affected by a claim, it’s just affected less.
So if you have protected it and have a bump, you only lose a proportion of your NCB after 1 bump, not all of it. For instance, you may lose 4 years of it rather than all of it.
How very dare you sir :D Hardly slipped in, it's plain to see.

Anyhoo, NCB comes in many shapes and sizes but what they all say is that it doesn't guarantee no change in future premiums (which is fair enough).

Rest assured, my protected NCB was not affected in any way by the modest claim and stays at maximum. If I had a 2nd claim it might step back a bit in the way you suggest but not with just one. The premium still skyrocketed but que sera. Also, that was my NCB, not my wife's. :thumb2

I had a similar NCB issue when I departed from Carole Nash last year; I moved to my new insurers in the belief that I had maximum NCB. Some of you will remember our no-fault accident in September 2022 which I reported to CN as required by law but I never made a claim as the third party was so obviously at fault which she admitted and was borne out by the police investigation. However, when I asked CN for proof of my NCB they had reduced me down to 4 years despite them telling me on the phone at the time I reported the accident that my NCB would not be affected.

I dropped them a couple of emails telling them that they were in the wrong which were both ignored so I did two things.

1. Went on Trustpilot and gave them a snotty review outlining their devious and duplicitous behaviour and that I was prepared to go to the insurance ombudsman
2. Went onto their website and submitted a formal complaint via their complaints process.

All of a sudden they wanted to talk to me! I was contacted within 24 hours by phone, I explained the situation in a calm and reasonable manner and told them why I was aggrieved. They checked with the underwriter, who confirmed that no claim had been made and they immediately restored my NCB back to full and sent a confirming email the same day.

Whenever I make a complaint I never jump up and down and I always keep things calm, factual and reasoned and get the operative on the other end of the phone onside, it pretty much always works.

I then updated my Trustpilot review, this was the fair thing to do, stating that they had now resolved the situation in a friendly and timely manner.

Back
Top Bottom