Why won't it see the mapping file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you for that Redboots, but i think the post i was thinking about was the issue about the naming format of the image files.

Mike i take it you can see the card when the zumo is connected to the pc. and you can see the folder on the card, the folder should be called Garmin, and when you install the map it goes into the folder and is called gmapsup.img or very similar, and when you then go to map info the map is not there, no box to tick, is this correct, and when you turn the unit on as its booting up you get a green line crossing the screen slowly. do you get all this. confirm please
All correct Lee, the file is in the correct folder with the correct name, the Zumo boots up and when I go to the map, the Map Info button is greyed out.

thanks mike, the only thing i can think of is maybe a corrupted map file, how did you download the file was it done via ethernet or wifi, if your other map works fine with the unit it says to me that the unit is not to blame, so that leaves either the file or the card. you said you tried it on the card with the working map yes ? did you try changing the name of the files as i suggested while it was on that sd card, your new card maybe faulty we know the old card works,

@Leedude
Gmapsupp (need extra P)
or rename to
Gmapsupp1
Gmapsupp2 etc
Or
Rename to anything you want but don't change the .img bit like Alsace.img

Sometimes you have to make the file visible in BC by inserting a code in the map.

I'd suggest a process of elimination.

The card- reformat it and try again

Map on card in card reader => does BC see it?

The map:
what is the file size?
How many tiles?
:nenau

Last edited:
thanks mike, the only thing i can think of is maybe a corrupted map file, how did you download the file was it done via ethernet or wifi, if your other map works fine with the unit it says to me that the unit is not to blame, so that leaves either the file or the card. you said you tried it on the card with the working map yes ? did you try changing the name of the files as i suggested while it was on that sd card, your new card maybe faulty we know the old card works,
I downloaded it via the USB cable. I don't think it is the card as I am using it with the 2021 mapping on. I haven't tried changing the file name. I've ordered an SD card from Amazon, should be here tomorrow so I will try downloading the 2024 mapping file to that and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will go back to MapInstall and reselect the mapping regions and download it again.

Ok, an update.

I fitted a brand new SD card into the Zumo, connected to Basecamp, MapInstall, selected the regions and did the download. Fired up the Zumo and yet again it did not recognise the mapping. Went to Settings and checked the map and Map Info is greyed out.

Checked the card and it shows these files loaded.

1709304398754.png
I inserted the original SD card with the 2021 mapping which shows these files. Same file formats, and the Zumo picks the mapping up, so I am baffled as to why the Zumo cannot see the 2024 version when there seems to be no logical reason.

1709304481516.png

Are your maps in a folder called Garmin either on the sat nav or the sd card?
( which they need to be btw)

P.s your in second picture it shows the map size to be 4,139,008 which is too large.
I suspect there lies one of your problems.

Last edited:
I suggest you keep the file size to a max of 3.8
You can always add different maps, named so that you recognize them and enable/disable on the satnav as you need then.

Are your maps in a folder called Garmin either on the sat nav or the sd card?
( which they need to be btw)

P.s your in second picture it shows the map size to be 4,139,008 which is too large.
I suspect there lies one of your problems.
Yes they are in a folder called Garmin

Why is it considered too large? When selecting the regions the bar in MapInstall was not in the red and in fact I could have selected a few more regions.

Because Garmin has a limitation of 4Gb per map but I have found that it is best to keep map size to 3.8 or close on

You have 2 potential issues.
1 is the max number of tiles, the other the overal map size.
Try selecting a few less tiles and try again. I think you are almost there.

Exagerating:
You could have a single map tile of 50kms square with little data
Or
100 tiles of 1sq mile with tons of data ( city centres etc.)
The trick is in the balance keeping it all around 3.8ish and remaining within device specifications.

Last edited:
Mike your top picture file size should be ok bottom pic is to large i cant say why mapinstall has allowed that but it should be under 4gb as Yarkto has said.

is the top pic with the working map.

Re reading your post again fishing for clues - a few questions spring to mind please-
The date stamp shows 29-2-24 and size 3.5 gig so that's fine- I have occasionally squeezed past the 4gig and got away with it but it can jam- hence my suggestion to keep maps around the 3.8gb

Your new card:
Is the new SD card 32GB or less in size?
What class is it? (Card needs to be 32GB max in storage size (or less) and class 2 to 10 [higher the class, better the performance])
Did you format the SD card using windows BEFORE sending maps to it?
and if you did, did you format it FAT32 which it must be?

If not, try this: assuming your new card size is 32GB or less in size

Using a card reader, plug into widows- when it sees the card, right click, chose format FAT32 ( exFAT) and leave it in your PC.
Then re run BaseCamp,
select JUST A FEW tiles ( for quickness) and send to SD card
Pointing to SD card, right click and chose 'Eject'
Now plug SD into Zumo 660, power up and does it now see the map?
In the Zumo, under Map Info have you put / or is there a check mark next to your map file? ( to enable it?)

Please report back findings- rápido, por favor :D,Gracias

Last edited:
Mike your top picture file size should be ok bottom pic is to large i cant say why mapinstall has allowed that but it should be under 4gb as Yarkto has said.

is the top pic with the working map.
The working map is the one that was modified 13/5/2021

Re reading your post again fishing for clues - a few questions spring to mind please-
The date stamp shows 29-2-24 and size 3.5 gig so that's fine- I have occasionally squeezed past the 4gig and got away with it but it can jam- hence my suggestion to keep maps around the 3.8gb

Your new card:
Is the new SD card 32GB or less in size?
What class is it? (Card needs to be 32GB max in storage size (or less) and class 2 to 10 [higher the class, better the performance])
Did you format the SD card using windows BEFORE sending maps to it?
and if you did, did you format it FAT32 which it must be?

If not, try this: assuming your new card size is 32GB or less in size

Using a card reader, plug into widows- when it sees the card, right click, chose format FAT32 ( exFAT) and leave it in your PC.
Then re run BaseCamp,
select JUST A FEW tiles ( for quickness) and send to SD card
Pointing to SD card, right click and chose 'Eject'
Now plug SD into Zumo 660, power up and does it now see the map?

Please report back findings- rápido, por favor :D,Gracias
Yes, it is 32GB
Not sure what class, there is a 10 on the packaging but not sure if this refers to the class
I did not format the card before using

Will try the process you have suggested and will report back.

Yes, it is 32GB
Not sure what class, there is a 10 on the packaging but not sure if this refers to the class
I did not format the card before using

Will try the process you have suggested and will report back.
yes the 10- inside a circle on the SD card is class 10 ( best one but lower ones work too)
Make sure you enable the map on the Zumo after all is done- needs a check mark next to the map

yes the 10- inside a circle on the SD card is class 10 ( best one but lower ones work too)
Make sure you enable the map on the Zumo after all is done- needs a check mark next to the map
Formatted the SD Card
Selected just the UK and Ireland regions and downloaded to card
Zumo still does not see the mapping
MapInfo still greyed out so pressing it achieves nothing and does not give option to enable the mapping

I am baffled!

OK
Now with the Zumo connected to PC via usb
Using explorer, find the Zumo and its new SD card in it and repeat the format process carefully
(Some garmins do not like formatting with the card a reader- no idea why)

The process of elimination continues but I do have a lot of questions to ask you so buzz me.
Be careful! ONLY format the card
NOT THE ZUMO!

check PM/Conversation I think its called now Mike and have a notepad and a pen at the ready!

Last edited:
After several phone calls with Yarkto (Bert) this afternoon we ran through a series of tests of elimination and have pinpointed the issue.

It is not a problem with the SD Card or reader, there is no problem with the Zumo firmware, hardware or software. The problem is to do with Authorisation; even though I have lifetime mapping for some reason Basecamp is not recognising this so when the mapping is downloaded to the Zumo SD Card it is not being authorised - hence no mapping.

Now we know what the problem is the next step is to fix it so we are reconvening on the phone tomorrow to see if we can force Basecamp to authorise the mapping.

Mike, I'm putting my dosh on the missing GMAPPROM files and a few others
and, alas, this -see picture courtesy of Garmin- out of memory.jpg
Bummer- this will put a kibosh on things- it was on my list of possibilities as the unit is getting on some but I am still trying to find a way around. Problem is with the map is keyed to the unit and, without the zumo in my hand, I am not sure if GE will allow a partial install which we need to try.
Sent you conversation with things to do before I call- we can still try but... but there are alternatives :)- blessed be OSM!
Keep tuned in!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom