Y-pieces

Jonathan

Is it worth fitting a y-piece thingy instead of the bit of exhaust with the cat in?

If so, where is the best place to get one from?

Does the injection need to be tinkered with afterwards?

The simple answer is "yes". You release a large amount of mid-range power which the cat was sucking dry. It's quite a simple mod to do, and well worth it. The bike will feel much more responsive and pull better in top gear on the motorway etc etc. Generally its much nicer.

I left my standard can on (weighs a ton though).

What you'll probably find is that you get some backfiring due to the cleaner route that the exhaust now takes, combined with little air leaks in the y-piece seals. Lots of threads on this - just search for "backfiring" and you'll find them.

I had a bit of trouble removing the gas sensor from the cat. It's in bloody tight so get a big spanner ready.

All in all, a super mod which is well worth doing.

Where have you been CC. I was beginning to get worried

The Phantom Pieman said:
Where does one get one from ...... or is it just from those fine extortionists at BMW?

do a search here and look for Andy Cam or try touratech etc...

I fitted a Sebring one with end can. Improved everything and loved the noise. Sonerous but not offensive! But then my BMW insurance fell due so asked the question if it was OK?
No they said, it will invalidate your cover! So I bottled and removed the Y and put back the standard silencer but kept the can. Trouble is I want to put it back.
What did others do and are there any insurance companies that will cover you with this non e marked piece.
Help please!

Paul Drummond said:
I fitted a Sebring one with end can. Improved everything and loved the noise. Sonerous but not offensive! But then my BMW insurance fell due so asked the question if it was OK?
No they said, it will invalidate your cover! So I bottled and removed the Y and put back the standard silencer but kept the can. Trouble is I want to put it back.
What did others do and are there any insurance companies that will cover you with this non e marked piece.
Help please!
I run a very highly modified Hayabusa as well as my 1150, I have told them (The Insurance ) about the mod's on both machines , single outlet exhaust system on the 'Busa, and the Y piece and there was not a problem.The 1150 is with Equity Red Star, and the Y piece dealer fitted.

Paul Drummond said:
Help please!

Shouldn't be a problem - who are you insured with? I'm covered thru' the beemer insurance policy and they said yes to both the Y piece and E-stamped Remus end can.
Andy

I'm with BMW! I spoke to them on the phone and they said unless the Y peice was e marked it invalidated the cover.
Perhaps I was to honest or maybe I should write. Alternatively I'll try eagle star when the insurance fall due!!

I went thu Carol Nash and no problem with the Y piece. The origninal cat does not have an e mark either, so what are they taking about? Just bought an end can off this site and Nash said no problem as long as the can is e marked, which I believe it is.

Back
Top Bottom