What boots?

araspitfire

Reaction score
I'm booked on the WOBMW level one offroad course on the 11th of May...

I've got waterproof, reasonably tough, but not quite high enough (they are a couple inches shorter than 'proper boots' that I've seen in the shops).

So, rather than renting, and risk getting blisters, I figured I'd buy something and get them broken in before the course.

I can't figure out where to get Sidi boots here in South Holland, so I'm looking at BMW Santiago boots, or the GS2 storm trooper ones... The plastic boots are only slightly more expensive than the Santiagos... so If I can get my trousers over the top of them, and they aren't too uncomfortable... (I try both boots on in a day or two, when the dealer gets the GS boots in) I'm tending towards the better protection...

Opinions? I don't intend to get into major offroad stuff... Just the odd all-road ride, perhaps some guided gravel road tours... maybe the level 2 course in a couple years...

My HG normal boots are very comfortable, and seem reasonably tough, with ankle armor, but when I washed out my front wheel last summer, and broke my collar bone, I also tweeked my ankle... Hoping to avoid such silliness on the course...

Al... (Oh ya... and what's the verdict on the Enduro Helmet... I can't see falling off a motorcycle a couple dozen times in my concept 2 helmet wired for sound...)

The GS (Gay Stormtrooper) boots aren't waterproof. They are very tough though, I'm sure mine have saved me from a broken ankle on a couple of occasions. I use waterproof SealSkinz socks with them.

Are you buying boots just for offroading, or are you planning to use them for your day to day riding too? I find the GS boots lacking in feel compared to a lighter road boot, that's what you'd expect, but I wouldn't wear mine for an all road ride. They're not cheap either, but you do get the BMW warranty and they are very well made, in my experience.

Regarding helmets, I wouldn't spend the price of the BMW offering on an off road lid, buy a Wulfsport or similar for 1/3 of the price, they're certified to the same standard and if you bang it so hard you feel it needs replacement, it'll hurt the wallet less :)

I use Oxtar TCX but this is a personal choice, it appears they all leak and they all squeak at some point, and the degree of mechanical protection is down to the ultimate choice. I would reckon the TCX's have saved an ankle once for me so I am happy.

Sidi motorcross boots have save my ankles and shins more times than I care to remember. Expensive but some good deals if you punch Sidi motocross boots into google. Broken ankles are bloody expensive:thumb2

I wore a pair of HG semi off road boots to the Level One and was advised in no uncertain terms that I had to hire the boots or face the possible consequences... I was lucky enough to higher a brand new pair of Oxtars for the weekend... everyone else who hired boots didn't complain about blisters...

If you're not planning on doing much off road after the course then I wouldn't advise going to the expense of buying.. the hire boots are fit for purpose and as our instructor put it "... road boots will give as much protection as a pair of slippers if we come off"...:confused: I was sceptical at first, thinking it was just another hike on the cost of the weekend, but IMO it was money well spent for piece of mind if nothing else...

Enjoy.. Sue...

Alpinestar tech 8's.
As others have advised,if using for just one day then hire some.A busted leg/ankle is gonna cost ya more than ten or twenty quid.:nenau

These are £200 boots for £79 including delivery. I bought some and they are a real bargain. Not waterproof (but none in this style are really and anyway, when they fill up from the top down it doesn't matter:thumb ).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10145

Flexible enough for use on the road and pretty comfy to. Sole is of the smoother MX kind (I would normally choose a 'trials' type boot with a grippy sole) but for the money I can live with it.

LC

Back
Top Bottom