Turned Orange.....

Possu

Reaction score
Just bought an '04 400 EXC, it's absolutely standard with the exception of running offroad gearing. Anyone got any bits for sale, I'll be buying a case saver & fork bleeders at the weekend, 13L MXC tank would be nice, as would a Gel seat of some sort.

Just bought an '04 400 EXC, it's absolutely standard with the exception of running offroad gearing. Anyone got any bits for sale, I'll be buying a case saver & fork bleeders at the weekend, 13L MXC tank would be nice, as would a Gel seat of some sort.

Hi

Fork bleeders (if you mean the little quick release air valves that go in the top of the fork) are a debatable item, a lot of people feel they allow more air to be sucked in more than anything. If it was me I would save your money, the little screws are easy to use.

Adie

Gel Seat ???

KTM Monkey butt got to you all ready Steve :D

Not yet, not really ridden it yet as there's a very slight weep from the fork seals, getting them sorted tomorrow. Bought fork bleeders, fork seals, fork oil & rad guards today from Premier in Didcot - good guys to deal with, managed to avoid buying all the bling, left with minor damage to the wallet.

Taking it to the Spanish Pyrenees next Thursday for a weeks trailriding, just got to sort out a new rear tyre & spare tubes tomorrow AM.

Not yet, not really ridden it yet as there's a very slight weep from the fork seals, getting them sorted tomorrow. Bought fork bleeders, fork seals, fork oil & rad guards today from Premier in Didcot - good guys to deal with, managed to avoid buying all the bling, left with minor damage to the wallet.

Taking it to the Spanish Pyrenees next Thursday for a weeks trailriding, just got to sort out a new rear tyre & spare tubes tomorrow AM.

If you are replacing the fork seals I would also fit neoprene protectors

If you are replacing the fork seals I would also fit neoprene protectors

A new of neoprene protectors came with the bike & are now fitted, along with rad guards, neoprene lower shock protector & clutch/case saver.

A new of neoprene protectors came with the bike & are now fitted, along with rad guards, neoprene lower shock protector & clutch/case saver.

Ooops, posted without realosing that Pumpy was logged in. :blast

Question - I removed the lower shock bolt to fit the neoprene shock protector, bolt was dry & hard to remove, so I greased it before re-installing it. I later read the manual, said that the bolt should not be greased as it can damage the Teflon bush. :blast Am I better of leaving as is or removing the bolt, cleaning everything & putting back together dry?

Ooops, posted without realosing that Pumpy was logged in. :blast

Question - I removed the lower shock bolt to fit the neoprene shock protector, bolt was dry & hard to remove, so I greased it before re-installing it. I later read the manual, said that the bolt should not be greased as it can damage the Teflon bush. :blast Am I better of leaving as is or removing the bolt, cleaning everything & putting back together dry?

Its the spherical bearing (SP?) or teflon bush as you call it, itself that should not be lubed at all... not the bolt. The bolt does not matter if its lubed or not.

Adie

Just spotted this - congratulations! Sadly all my KTM bling went to Darkhorse, but at least it's more affordable than touratech ...

My "watches" would be oil screens; fork bleeds; clutch saver.
Carry a spare spark plug cap.
Neoprene gaiters are great for hiding leaking fork seals - so you don't worry about them any more ....

Otherwise: ride, fall off, pick up, repeat ...

Just spotted this - congratulations! Sadly all my KTM bling went to Darkhorse, but at least it's more affordable than touratech ...

My "watches" would be oil screens; fork bleeds; clutch saver.
Carry a spare spark plug cap.
Neoprene gaiters are great for hiding leaking fork seals - so you don't worry about them any more ....

Otherwise: ride, fall off, pick up, repeat ...

Got the clutch saver, fork bleeders & neoprene gaiters for the forks & lower shock mount.

Despite having a full service history & being only dealer serviced, some monkey has rounded off the hex on the screen below the front sprocket - reckon I can fix this.

Worse though is the Allen bolt on the screen on the underside of the engine, it too is rounded out despite only needing a low torque value to secure it. Problem is that it's recessed in to the case. If I can't dot punch round on a warm engine, I'll take it to a friends, disconnect the battery & ignition box before having him TiG weld a steel bar to the centre of the Allen bolt head. On the other end of the bar will be a welded on nut that a socket & rachet can be applied to undo the bolt. I would try MiG welding it myself but TiG is more precise.

Unless of course anyone else has a better idea.......

Apart from that, absolutely love it :thumb .

some monkey has rounded off the hex on the screen below the front sprocket -

the Allen bolt on the screen on the underside of the engine, it too is rounded out despite only needing a low torque value to secure it. .

Ah yes, they are made of cheese/plasticine alloy. Try a little heat just on the bolt head (not too much - the screen inside is plastic)

You could also carefully drill it out.

top motor though - almost as good as the 450!

Ah yes, they are made of cheese/plasticine alloy. Try a little heat just on the bolt head (not too much - the screen inside is plastic)

You could also carefully drill it out.

top motor though - almost as good as the 450!

Which is nearly as good as the 525:augie

Tap/knock a torx bit into the mashed hole.

Will try the Torx method, if that fails, a friend will be TiG welding an M10 nut to the head of the side screen hex fastener and an old Allen key to the Allen bolt on the underside.

Glad I went for the 400 though, I think a 450 or 525 would be too much for me at the moment, maybe in a year or so though.

Back
Top Bottom