Autocom Bluetooth adapter

davedyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone any knowledge of Autocom's Bluetooth adapter? Is it available yet? I've got a BMW Nav III sat nav with BT and want the voice directions to go through the adapter and then on into the Autocom. I'm hoping that as the BMW Nav III can also handle my phone through BT, I won't need the phone lead for the Autocom.
Anyone with knowledge or experience of such a set up would be much appreciated.

yes its available - no it wont work.

yes it is available. (autocom BT adapter) its around £75 if i remember (got one a while back).

you will not be able to use nav111 / to run your phone via bluetooth, do a search - it's been covered a few times -

if you want to run your phone via sat nav / bluetooth / autocom sell the nav111 and get a garmin 2820. essentialy the same unit but with extra features (one of which is full phone bluetooth functionality.)

hope this helps.

The BMW Navigator III does have full BT phone functionalility. When calls come in they're displayed on the screen and you can choose to answer the call. When you select a POI to navigate to, if its phone number is included in the POI info you can call it from the sat nav (assuming your phone is within BT range) and you can use the satnav to dial a phone number. You can also import your phone's phone book into the sat nav and dial any of the numbers from the screen.
I guess that if I can connect to the Autocom BT adapter then this functionalitly will remain and the sat nav will see the Autocom BT adapter as a BT headset.
Thanks for that - it was just the issue of availability that I needed to clarify as I was having trouble finding details off their site.

the nav 111 does not have full BT / phone functionality.

because of the design of the bmw nav 3 cradle the bmw people removed the audio in and audio out ports on the left hand side of the unit - (because the bmw cradle would have obscured them making them pointless) - because they removed the ports they also disabled the "audio line in" (ie. the microphone in you helmet) - you will be able to hear callers (listen to their voices) via bluetooth but they will not be able to hear your voice (because the audio "in" software has been disabled....

i am 99.9% sure i am right. . . . .i sold my nav 3 cause it did not have full phone functionality. the 2820 worked right out of the box.

;)

did a quick search on this sight and copied and pasted this response from autocom when someone else made the same enquiry you made.
this direct from autocom-

"The answer is no im afraid. Basically BMW have made a bit of a mistake
with their mounting bracket. The nav III is the same as the Garmin 2820
that does allow you to answer and listen to your phone. The differnce is
the 2820 has an input and an output socket. BMW have mistakenly
disconnected the output that allows you to speak throught the phone.
Therefore you can listen to your call but not reply".

in a nutshell the nav3 does not have full bluetooth functionality - but there is hope yet - a 2820 is only £570 or so - sell the nav 3 and buy a 2820 . . .i sold my nav3 for £315 or so and got the 2820.

Not sure that's entirely correct...

Just postulating Steve, but the response you quote was for a cabled autocom unit to the Nav III via the BMW cradle, which won't work as you state, but at the time the BT option for the autocom wasn't available.

I'd love to see someone try what's proposed here, so we'd know for sure if the issue with the cradle also applies to BT...

Paul

Thanks guys, well this has certainly got me more eager than before to see if I can get this up and running.
I'm sure the Navigator III does have two way coms via bluetooth because when I try to use it to dial a number via my phone it tells me to connect a bluetooth headset.
I can't see BMW providing a £900 sat nav with the ability to only hear calls and not send speach to them.
I think the only answer is to get the bluetooth adapter for the Autocom and see if it works.

Nav III....

does have full Bluetooth functionality, I have a Nav III and System 5 helmet with Bluetooth and can use my phone with both speech and audio. So I don't see why it would not function the same with a Autocom Bluetooth system and Autocom helmet mike and ear pieces. I should add to that...until my Helmet Bluetooth packed up.....

i would be happy to be proved wrong.....but i still think it won't work - with my nav 111 i spoke to autocom, bmw and garmin......

the only way to get my phone working via bluetooth / sat nav (without a bluetooth helmet !!) was to swap the nav111 for a 2820 -

let us know the outcome when you get the BT autocom dongle.....

:thumb2

good luck!

All the Nav III is good for is pretty much the GPS audio only via the 2.5mm jack plug socket on the underside of the cradle. The BT phone does not work so you are better off running our BT dongle or keeping the phone on a lead.

Rich

I knew I had seen this in another thread Andy Higgins was talking about his Navigator III:
Just had an autocom bluetooth dongle fitted today and can connect NavIII and Mobile Phone to it. Therefore i can recieve AND make calls via NavIII screen. So far very impressed, just need to sort out volume!

Having said that, I was planning to get the System 5 bluetooth'ed helmet so save all the uncertainty only to find that BMW have withdrawn it - so it looks as if it'll be Autocom.

You could run our dongles either Parts 1273 or 1276 for the audio but you will need also need a Part 1314 to allow for the full audio to and from the Zumo.

Rich @ Autocom

I hate to appear to contradict Rich, but I believe the reason for 1314 is to get full stereo sound to the music input of the Autocom. If you're happy with mono sound through the BT dongle then you don't need it, but I'm happy to be corrected.
For me mono sound is fine for bike use.
If you run the 1273 you may need an adjustment/modification to the Autocom to switch on the 9 volt power to the device.
The 1276 requires a separate power feed (for compatability with older Autocom units) , so no modification is required.

Use a tomtom/garmin bluetooth adaptor or even one of those motorola bluetooth helmet kits. If you take the BT module out then it would do the job.

Hope that helps.

the ZC

I hate to appear to contradict Rich, but I believe the reason for 1314 is to get full stereo sound to the music input of the Autocom. If you're happy with mono sound through the BT dongle then you don't need it, but I'm happy to be corrected.
For me mono sound is fine for bike use.
If you run the 1273 you may need an adjustment/modification to the Autocom to switch on the 9 volt power to the device.
The 1276 requires a separate power feed (for compatability with older Autocom units) , so no modification is required.

John, if the Zumo was to be used fully via the dongle and you are wanting to run bike to bike this would not be possible. This is due to the AUX 1 socket being set up for priority i.e it will take over the bike to bike. So if you are wanting to listen to music and GPS all of the time and still run bike to bike this is where the Part 1314 comes into play. So this is why I've listed both parts to say any confusion or problems later. Our customers can buy both parts first time around with no problems.

Rich

John, if the Zumo was to be used fully via the dongle and you are wanting to run bike to bike this would not be possible. This is due to the AUX 1 socket being set up for priority i.e it will take over the bike to bike. So if you are wanting to listen to music and GPS all of the time and still run bike to bike this is where the Part 1314 comes into play. So this is why I've listed both parts to say any confusion or problems later. Our customers can buy both parts first time around with no problems.

Rich

Gee whiz this Zumo stuff is complicated!

OK, I've got it now, I hope.

You only need the 1314 if you're doing bike to bike as well.
If you were doing bike-to-bike, then you would need to tell the Zumo (page 46 of the manual) to only route phone speech via Bluetooth. Then the music and GPS go down the 1314 and get overridden by the bike-to-bike when necessary!

Pretty much so but from the feed back we are getting everyone wants the stereo sound from the Garmin so we are selling both partds together, even if they are not running bike to bike.

The Parts 1273/1276 and 1314 combo's also gets away from the phone mute that happens when the Part 1299's are being used due to these being desinged for our AUX 2 sockets that were designed to carry music from MP3 players before the Zumo's were even being sold

Rich

GSRich :

You seem to be very knowledgable :thumb2

I have a Zumo, samsung D900 and autocom kit 200. I have connected the zumo via an isolated stereo lead for nav/speed cams and MP3 into Aux 2. I have modified a 2m 4 pole phone lead (put in a ground loop and cut the white wire) and connected it to the Zumo from Aux 1. I have paired the phone to the zumo via bluetooth.

I have tried to get my head around this and keep coming to different conclusions affecting my sanity :eek: )

I have several issues with the setup :

1. Even though the volume control on the Autocom is up full AND BOTH volume controls are full on the zumo - the volume is not very loud (Ok in the garage but inadequate on the road). I have tried positioning the speakers to find the 'loud' spot, but really there is not much difference. I realise the isolation of the leads attenuates the volume slightly. Is there an internal adjustment on the autocom kit to increase the overall volume?

2. when on the phone, 'they' can hear me reasonably well but I can hardly hear them. (vox NOT cutting in)

What is the best setup for this system to retain stereo from the zumo AND a decent phone conversation?

Will using the isolated stereo lead to retain stereo from zumo into aux 2 and using bluetooth dongle into aux 1 be a better setup ie. retain 50% muting on music / passenger / rider intercom but have No muting on phone calls?

Help please

Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom