Advice please

Trippy

If I was considering getting a GPS for the bike which one would be the best buy and be ...

Affordable either new or 2nd hand, say upto £200.

Very very easy to operate even for a "complete numpty".

I know zero, zilch, nothing about GPS and there seems to be so many models out there.

Like anything you need to ask yourself some questions.

What will you expect of it?

What functions do you really need?

Does it have to be complete with all bells and whistles or would basic functionality be enough?

Do you want the route planning to be on a computer as well as on the unit?

Do you want something that you can dismount and use in the car, the boat or on foot?

Will you be able to live with yourself if after you upgrade, you sell it on and it goes tits-up? :D

I would look for a 2610 - waterproof, well tested and work well. Operation is quite easy and can be mastered in an hour or so, or ask someone who uses one for a quick overview.

Also the TT 2610 mount is a masterpiece and should be fitted to all 1150 Adventures :thumb

Thought you where against these new fangled bits of kit and where going to rely on the old map and road signs method :augie

Thought you where against these new fangled bits of kit and where going to rely on the old map and road signs method :augie

I am, however I can see the possible advantages of having one for trips overseas.

I am, however I can see the possible advantages of having one for trips overseas.
Trippy, the advantages are much more than possibilities.

Get yourself a 2610/Nav II.

They are popping-up for sale in the price-range you mention. They will do everything you might want.

It's all been said before but here's a summary of the benefits as far as I'm concerned:

You can ride into the centre of an unfamiliar city with the confidence that the device will lead you back out to your next destination without the usual going around in circles, trying to read direction signs, strange road layouts while all the time watching-out for mad local drivers

It will give you realistic ETA's, both on the road and when planning (if you let the unit simulate the route). The latter is handy when thinking about ferry crossings or just wondering how long you need to allow for a particular leg of your journey.

If you find somewhere nice on a journey that you'd like to return to (if there's no time at the present), no need to try an memorize place names etc., just waypoint it for the future.

If you fancy exploring an area but don't know what sort of roads there are, the mapping will give you a good idea before you get there.

113556101-M.jpg

It doesn't replace 'proper' maps. It's an add-on but you will need fewer maps and can stick to large scale ones, leaving the detailed mapping to Mapsource.

Personally, one of the things I find really useful is when researching stuff.

For example, a small group of us are doing a short WWI tour later this year. I thought the 1915 battle of Neuve-Chapelle was worth a look at (the battle took place in a relatively confined area).

Looking at maps of the battle and Mapsource, it's possible to see that much of the features remain.

166783927-M.jpg

166783912-M.jpg

166783922-M.jpg

As you can see, Rue des Chevaux is what was once called Sunken Lane by the British.

Some users like to input complete routes, personally I like to find places I want to see (or in the case of above, some features) and waypoint them. Then I can select the route I want according to how much time is available or the conditions etc.

Something overlooked is the facility to convert the speedometer to kph. Handy for avoiding foreign on the spot fines.

There are a lot more uses for a satnav than the "take me to" function.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Mike. The main reason I'm thinking about getting one is to be able to find some of these good off road tracks found by others in places like the Pyranees, as it would be a shame to go there and miss some of the best bits.

Back
Top Bottom