New Active Plus has less volume than old Smart7

JayGee

Reaction score
I have an Active Plus system (autocom) on one bike and an old-ish Smart 7 system on my old bike. I notice the new system has far less volume than the old Smart 7 system, has anyone else noticed this and is there anything that can be done to pump up the volume on the new Active Plus system (kit200). I run both systems on max volume (although I can manage with a bit less on the older Smart7 system).

Seems a bit of a retrograde step if a newer system has less volume than the older system:confused:

BTW this volume difference is very noticeable, I've disconnected Zumo & B2B radio and these haven't affected the volume for rider-pillion coms.

There is no difference with the volumes between the systems at all. The only difference is on the Active Plus the volume controls are master volumes not speech levels like on the Active-7. You are the first person that I know of that has said there is a difference!

Rich :beerjug:

There is no difference with the volumes between the systems at all. The only difference is on the Active Plus the volume controls are master volumes not speech levels like on the Active-7. You are the first person that I know of that has said there is a difference!

Rich :beerjug:

Thanks Rich but the difference is quite noticeable. Maybe I wasn't clear enough abot the two systems:-

The quieter and newer one is a Active Plus which has seperate rider and pillion volume controls. The sound is better quality but nowhere near as loud.

The older but louder system is a Smart7 which was superceded some time ago and has only one volume control. If I set this volume to max it gets a little bit crackley but is a lot louder than max on the other system.

I have a zumo and B2B radio that I took off to ensure they weren't affecting the volume although I did leave the leads to these in place, could these be affecting the pillion/rider volume? The leads are slighly different in that the newer system has isolated leads which might reduce volume slighly from B2B or Zumo but I wouldn't have thought that could affect the rider pillion speech volume- unless you know different.

Right ive done a bit of searching and the difference is the Active-7 runs a different amp to the Active Plus which are now obsolete but the difference should not really be that noticable as ive said you are the only person to say about the difference and I use the systems daily.

Rich:beerjug:

Right ive done a bit of searching and the difference is the Active-7 runs a different amp to the Active Plus which are now obsolete but the difference should not really be that noticable as ive said you are the only person to say about the difference and I use the systems daily.

Rich:beerjug:

I assume it's the Smart-7 which is now obsolete. I've only noticed the volume difference since I started using max volume on both systems, which I've found necessary with the earplugs I now use, below max volume you wouldn't notice any difference but on max the older system (Smart7) is much louder although also a bit crackley. I appreciate that it's not usually necessary to use max volume but it's still a bit irritating that the older system works best for me and I'm now looking at seperate amplifiers to use with the newer system.

JayGee, think your banging your head against a brick wall mate, maybe with all the processing they've had to do to get the bloody thing working, the volume suffers.

Best solution is to use in ear canal speakers, that way your hearing won't suffer by cranking it up with amps, that's one sure fire way of damaging you hearing 'PERMINENTLY'

As pointed out, trying to make music heard above noise just makes any hearing damage worse. In-ear monitors are great because they both dampen the outside noise and play the music, but the music then doesn't need to be as loud, so you get the best of both worlds.

My Super Pro AVI system has internal master volume controls, but you have to open the box to get to them - maybe yours has the same? Have a look in the instruction manual, either in the box or downloadable from Autocom's website, and you should be able to see what tweaking you can do. One word of warning, it's really simple to get into the Autocom units, so if you're having problems, you probably haven't found the screws yet :)

autocom service

Hi all.
ive just spoke to Paul at autocom,after i mouused up my settings, and he went through them with me.
I must say what a diamond bunch of geesas they are, top notch.:beerjug:
Regards Kent

We'll without going over 'Old Ground' which doesn't do anybody any good, lets just put it down to a lack of service!

As you say lets not cover old ground but Im going to put my point across.

The lack of service?????

So me offering for you to take a ride over to us so we could of checked over your system as it was not something I could sort over emails or on here. Or for you to take your systems off your bike and send it back to us is not called good service????? Either of these options you did not take us up on!

Other people take up our offers daily so I could not see why you could not:nenau

Im sure we are doing something right from all of the goods reports and feedback we get on here and the other forums I look on.

Rich

We'll seeing as you feel the need to reply, I'd better have my say!

I bought your system and it didn't work, I was then told I needed another part (1299 I think) and promised that this would fix my problem!

Low and behold this didn't work, another £30+ wasted.

Asked for your help and I got the reply from you......It was my speakers in the helmet, when it was pointed out to YOU that the rest of it worked, your solution was to take the speakers out of the helmet and try them against my ears, this would prove that you was right.

Oh BUGGA, guess what......IT DID'NT

Now we come to your INTERESTING PART.

REMEDY 1
I could make a 350+ mile round trip to have you look at my speakers and for this you said I wouldn't be charged......How very kind of you!

REMEDY 2
If you found it wasn't my speakers, you said the solution was to CUT the mute facility, which would result in no mute at all IE it wouldn't mute the music when giving directions or anything else.

As for me sending it to you, I think you'll find by doing a search on this AND if my memory serves me well......it was never offered!

And you call this service!

You seem to be going to great lengths in now promoting the BT dongle/dangle thingy......and at what extra price! or is it because the 1299 lead doesn't work?

As for all those satisfied customers you are saying you have? Good for you, but I'm not one of them.

Maybe you should take stock of how many threads you have on all the forums asking for a fix to the problems that people have with your systems, or is that because......while your on the said forums it saves you the expense of opening a call centre in India.

350 mile round trip you must be riding the long way

1, Yeah I would checked over your helmet speakers as this has helped other customers so its worth a try. We could of also modified your system to increase in coming problems also while you were here.

2, This is an option that we have done for our other customers with no problems so only another suggestion really.

As for sending my your system I or we always offer this to any of our customers so why should it be any different to you?

So service I think so, what else could I offer you bar than coming to your house and trying to sort your bike out with no factory back up as everyone else would still be here.

We have been told to promote our dongles to get around the phone muting 50% when you speak as the AUX 2 sockets on our systems are mainly designed for music this option will always be there. But we still have the problems of the Zumo's being very quiet, people not knowing about the units only being set to three quarters master volume its a daily thing we have to deal with.

Garmin UK themselves have actually admitted to the Zumo's not being the loudest of GPS's for bikes so there is a lot of work being done behind closed doors to get you and the many many other customers/users sorted on the lack of volumes.

As for the forums I try my best but due to amount there are out there it would need someone to be employed to sit here 24/7 keeping an eye on them.

As for the India call centre we are more than fine here in Leamington Spa thank you.

This will be my last post on this thread as I have said all I want to say, and we are hijacking someone elses thread.

If anyone would like to look up this dispute Im sure you'll find that this is what I was offered and at no time did GSRich (Autocom promotion dept) offer to fix this system by post!

And the only 'FIX' he could come up with was one that rendered the unit useless!

All of this can be backed up with previous posts! as for 'Return Trip' calculate it yourself, Bradford, West Yorkshire to Autocom and tell me if you think it's acceptable with a New purchase.

Corrected to 283 miles

Not on my planet.

I remember the incident and it wasn't pretty.

There are, however, two sides to this situation and there's no reason that you couldn't have suggested sending the kit back yourself. If you'd been canny, you might even have been able to arrange it via a local supplier, at little or no cost.

I understand you're aggrieved, but I believe that this is probably now best sorted between yourselves :nenau

Sorry you feel so aggreived, but I just want to say I have had superb service and assistance from GSRich, top bloke, and Garmin can give a lesson or two to that bloody TomTom bunch when it comes to customer service.

JDH

Back
Top Bottom