Handlebar Riser or new bars/ Footpegs

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd like to raise the bars on my DRZ400 by about 1.5". Best to fit new bars or risers - and any ideas on which ones and from where?

Also would like to uprate the footpegs, got fastways on my GS - is this the way to go on the DRZ too?

thanks,

That's a bit spooky, I was just wondering the same for my DR650.

Renthal Dakar High. 1.5 inches higher. You may have to reroute the cables to get a bit more slack for full lock. Your local off road shop should be an agent.

Footpegs, dunno, still wondering what to do. Maybe I will make some more, did this to my old KLR pegs and it worked very well. The center part was the original.

Attachments

• PICT0485 (Small).JPG
    PICT0485 (Small).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 157
bar risers

http://www.barrisersonline.com/

These guys were recommended to me by GregMasters. Not bought a set yet. I have fitted the dakar high bars and they have have helped but not fully solved the issue. I still need to move the bars up higher and a little more forward to get them where i want.

My local garage man who also welds very well is going to try to straighten my standard pegs where one is bent from a fall and add a steel strip either side to widen the foot plate as it were for me.

Just done a search, and Timolgra seems to have a set of Nippy Norman's risers on his DR650.

Do GS risers fit the DR and/or the DRZ without any hassle, or will they need machining? If the GS ones fit, I'll pop over to Thetford and grab a set off Jaws, and have a bit of an explore round the forest at the same time :)

I've got Renthal 664 Enduro bars up for sale by end of week. I've done a Fatbar conversion now and these have only been on 2 or 3 month. These bars are mint condition, silver in colour and work great. Price will be £25 posted.

They'll also fit a GS, I know because I fitted a set to them as well. :thumb2

GS spacers on the 650

Just done a search, and Timolgra seems to have a set of Nippy Norman's risers on his DR650.

Do GS risers fit the DR and/or the DRZ without any hassle, or will they need machining? If the GS ones fit, I'll pop over to Thetford and grab a set off Jaws, and have a bit of an explore round the forest at the same time :)

I believe Tim had to drill his GS risers to get them to fit on the DR650. I dont think by much, but not sure what tools etc were needed or how easy it was.

You might also be able to use on of these risers kits sold by these people;
http://www.equinoxmc.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_38&zenid=angdri4fgpkvfeie1164an7676

Hi Snoopy, have you got a pic? what sort of rise do you get over standard?

I believe Tim had to drill his GS risers to get them to fit on the DR650. I dont think by much, but not sure what tools etc were needed or how easy it was.

You might also be able to use on of these risers kits sold by these people;
http://www.equinoxmc.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_38&zenid=angdri4fgpkvfeie1164an7676

I had some TT risers off my airhead that went onto the DRZ. All I had to do was open the holes out a little with a larger diameter drill and they fitted fine.

Dakar high bars (bar 913) are quite wide and have a funny bend to them - I couldn't get on with them. My fave was RC High (Bar 809) check here for dimensions.

Nin

Hi Snoopy, have you got a pic? what sort of rise do you get over standard?

I'll get one up later tonight. The Fatbars finally arrived so the Renthals are going up for sale.

I tried 3cm raisers and didn't like them they put strain on my wrists when I went off-roading with Forry (I'm 5' 11"). The Renthal bars don't give much rise I think, maybe 1cm, it's the posture which is sorted compared to the OE bars. They've also got Rawlplugs so you can stick the bar-weights on. :thumb2

Can you not use the old trick of getting a likely set of top clamps from a breakers (or even a DRZ pair) and then mount them under the bars? will be a couple of quid instead of £30 plus for what is essentially the same thing. You'll just need a pair of extra long allen bolts as well.

Renthal dakar bars have quite a pronounced crank backwards - here is a pair I fitted earlier.....

Attachments

• bars.JPG
    bars.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 109

Back
Top Bottom