Additional engine protection

The rubber inserts on early Machine Art head covers did mark the heads over time. I was able to clean the marks off almost completely, certainly enough to be able to transfer them to my new bike. Before I did though I contacted Machine Art and they admitted there was a problem and that they had changed the rubber compound on later head covers to cure it. They also sent me a set of the new compound rubber inserts free of charge.
Can I ask what you cleaned them with please? I have the same problem from a set of 2016 covers on my 2021 1250. NN didn't even reply to my email about it. Perhaps I should contact MachineArt? Thanks.

The heads stick through on the GSA`s so you`ll still get gravel rash on anything other than a minor drop, what`s the point of them if their primary function of protecting the engine is not met. Are they just ornamental?
Tragic.
(i`ve also put those plastic bungs on my bars to provide a little more distance to the heads in the event of a spill...)

I think the engine bars are there to prevent catastrophic damage. Cosmetic doesn't really matter to some. It does to me, so I use the plastic things to help. I suppose for anything other that a low speed spil or drop off the stand there would be major damage in other areas too.

no sorry its the machine art ones like this

they are supposed to fit under bmw engine bars according to the blurb but I don't have the bars!
no marks on the engine covers when I last checked (aftera couple of years of them being on the bike)

I had the Machine Art X-Heads on my 1250 GS and when I removed them after three years to sell the bike they had marked the paint on the cam covers. I had to leave them on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom