Nealy 2 years in, did i choose the right bike?

I have two friends who’ve recently bought the new Tiger 1200s, both very impressed with them. When the time comes it’s definitely one to try. I rode several of the previous model and despite what a lot people ay about it being lardy I thought it was a lovely bike.

I was surprised how good it was! Feels lighter than a GS, more nimble. Better brakes (the GS isn't lacking with the Brembos but the higher-spec brembo fitted to the Tiger were very good - it has linked brakes like the GS too). The "usual" rev range of 2500-6000 rpm the Tiger felt awesome! Seating position very similar to GS. It's a bit higher geared than a GS too, so 70mph is about 4000 rpm IIRC. Some reviewers say it's vibey but that was not my experience unless going over 6k revs when the thing howls like a banshee and the horizon gets nearer very quickly! (not as frantic as a 1000XR of course!!) Actually thinking about it, the Tiger felt like a love child of an XR and a GS :)

Main negative for me with the Tiger is the crap luggage. I like the way GS panniers (vario) just lock on and off so easily, and don't leave hideous scaffolding when the panniers are not attached. No similar option for the Tiger sadly - you're stuck with hideous (like GSA) scaffolding making the bike look "unfinished" without panniers. The Touratech ones look the best option, and they have some kind of QR scaffold option I believe, so at least you can take the scaffold off the bike for most of the year!. I only use panniers on longer tours or weekends away with the girlfriend. When solo, for one or two night trips I use a 32L Enduristan duffle bag on the rear seat...

Another positive seems to be the dealer network. More and more BMW dealers seem to be attached to car showrooms, and I feel I'm just seeing the "corporate bollox". The Triumph dealers near me are genuine bike shops, and I (personally) find that a positive, refreshing change!

I love mine...but

as above the design is crap

everything in life is getting smaller, lighter and more powerful the GS does the opposite
why make a 1300 GS next... why not a 1100 much lighter version with similar power?

the piston covers the bike is famous for, the fins hold water.
you can put the bike away in the garage after a shower and days later there are still puddles over the engine.

It cuts through the wind like an old Luton Transit.
full face buffeting no matter where you position the screen
great up to 50mph over this you feel like your in a fight with Mike Tyson... back to my point about the bigger engine... no point in more power top speed as its awful at high speed.

For the price it rusts and blisters...one splash of salt and starts to discolour.
a lifetime supply to ACF should come as standard... ironically its the only bike I've owned that needs it!!

When i bought this GS it was pretty much a toss of the coin between this and an Africa Twin.
Id be interested in the opinion of an Honda owner after 2-3 years

Someone said on another thread this week.... "i wouldn't own a GS without a warranty" that says a lot
and its a fair point.

my next bike.....
all the accessories I've bought for the GS may sway my decision to buy another.
but i would have to get a new or nearly new for the above warranty.

Ultimately, the GS is a nice bike but if something goes wrong buy some lube and bend over!
other bikes are a bit kinder in this regard.

Main negative for me with the Tiger is the crap luggage. I like the way GS panniers (vario) just lock on and off so easily, and don't leave hideous scaffolding when the panniers are not attached. No similar option for the Tiger sadly - you're stuck with hideous (like GSA) scaffolding making the bike look "unfinished" without panniers.

The best option would be to get the SW Motech Pro Side Carriers which are removable in 30 seconds, leaving just very small unnoticeable clamps . I had a set along with the Trax panniers on my 1290 and it was genius.

The best option would be to get the SW Motech Pro Side Carriers which are removable in 30 seconds, leaving just very small unnoticeable clamps . I had a set along with the Trax panniers on my 1290 and it was genius.

Thanks Arsey! You've taken me a step closer to Tiger ownership!!! :)

Givi also do quick release pannier rails. I used them for about 7 years on a Crosstourer and now have them for my GS. Only parts that stay on the bike are small brackets in the original pannier mounts and on the pillion foot peg hanger.
Fit in about a minute.

Givi also do quick release pannier rails. I used them for about 7 years on a Crosstourer and now have them for my GS. Only parts that stay on the bike are small brackets in the original pannier mounts and on the pillion foot peg hanger.
Fit in about a minute.

My bro has them on his 1250.
Pretty good but I think the German made SW Motech have a much higher quality finish than the Italian Givi,especially the frames .

On my 3rd GS.
1st a used 2014
Then 1290GT
Then a new 2017 Rallye
Traded in for a 2022 Rallye after four years and 35,000k
I have tried Multisrada, KTM 1290gt and S1r over the years. The only one I come back to is the GS.
Just fit good tyres and they are a match for anything for road use. Without the niggles of stretching/lubing chains on tour. Comfort way above the others, but equally the handling impresses. Nothing beats the telelever. In 1250 form the engine performance is superb, torque, good top end and now the flexibility to hold revs higher/lower than previously, making it much more fun in the mountains.
10k last year, with at least that to be added this year.
Nothing out there really appeals, esp. now the Ducati has got longer, heavier and added two cylinders (the v twin was the raison d’être imo)
IF, BMW bring out an M version 1300, with reduced weight, 17” wheels and retain telelever, a test ride will beckon. Otherwise, the 1250 GS remains the one to beat.

I was surprised how good it was! Feels lighter than a GS, more nimble. Better brakes (the GS isn't lacking with the Brembos but the higher-spec brembo fitted to the Tiger were very good - it has linked brakes like the GS too). The "usual" rev range of 2500-6000 rpm the Tiger felt awesome! Seating position very similar to GS. It's a bit higher geared than a GS too, so 70mph is about 4000 rpm IIRC. Some reviewers say it's vibey but that was not my experience unless going over 6k revs when the thing howls like a banshee and the horizon gets nearer very quickly! (not as frantic as a 1000XR of course!!) Actually thinking about it, the Tiger felt like a love child of an XR and a GS :)

Main negative for me with the Tiger is the crap luggage. I like the way GS panniers (vario) just lock on and off so easily, and don't leave hideous scaffolding when the panniers are not attached. No similar option for the Tiger sadly - you're stuck with hideous (like GSA) scaffolding making the bike look "unfinished" without panniers. The Touratech ones look the best option, and they have some kind of QR scaffold option I believe, so at least you can take the scaffold off the bike for most of the year!. I only use panniers on longer tours or weekends away with the girlfriend. When solo, for one or two night trips I use a 32L Enduristan duffle bag on the rear seat...

Another positive seems to be the dealer network. More and more BMW dealers seem to be attached to car showrooms, and I feel I'm just seeing the "corporate bollox". The Triumph dealers near me are genuine bike shops, and I (personally) find that a positive, refreshing change!

SW Motech for QD metal pannier frames & alloy boxes or a range of soft luggage

Arsey likes them too

SW Motech for QD metal pannier frames & alloy boxes or a range of soft luggage

Arsey likes them too

Thanks JB

So...in answer to the OP question!

At the time, 4 years ago, the GS was the best bike for me. If I were buying today, I think it would be the Tiger. The flickability, lightness, engine etc makes it (IMO) a smidgen better than the GS. It's a close race but the Tiger would win IMO.

The dealer network (so far) for the Triumph is another bonus. I prefer a "bike shop" to a Car Showroom with a BMW Motorrad dealer stuck on the side ;)

Thanks JB

So...in answer to the OP question!

At the time, 4 years ago, the GS was the best bike for me. If I were buying today, I think it would be the Tiger. The flickability, lightness, engine etc makes it (IMO) a smidgen better than the GS. It's a close race but the Tiger would win IMO.

The dealer network (so far) for the Triumph is another bonus. I prefer a "bike shop" to a Car Showroom with a BMW Motorrad dealer stuck on the side ;)

Agreed with you in all your thoughts
In Yorkshire we have 3 Motorrad dealers and only one in York that is truly independent (at present) and family run
The other 2, used to be independent family owned bike dealers and are now owned by a uk corporate motor dealer group
I frequent the York one as they are still proper ‘bike’ dealers and love what they do and know all about bikes
If I was buying a new BMW bike I would go to Barrie’s in York I guess - but A1 Moto would be worth a look at Triumph’s range too

I had a 07 gsa about 8 years ago, bought this after having sports bikes and nakeds. I loved the thing it really was the best bike I owned.

I sold it as it was getting on a bit so went down the Kawasaki versey route, bloody hated that bike, just could not no matter how I tried get on with it.

Sold that after a few other bikes just to hoon around on, then the bad boy in me kicked in

Along came a 2020 model Yamaha MT 10, that this is an animal thats does everything, but everything quickly.
I toured on it, stelvio pass then through switzerland through all the passes. and you know what as bad boy as it was it still was not a patch on the GSA, I thought real hard about what I did on that trip and came to the conclusio that I did not thing more than I would of if I had of been on the GSA. Only quicker.

Sooooo got back off that trip last year and that was it, up for sale and welcome to the 2019 1250 GSA.

Ooooh boy am i happy again.

I think the guy that owned it first spent more time (and Money ) in tourtech than anyone but hey its fully loaded so who cares, got it for a song too so even more of a bargain.

I will never ever have another bike, well maybe as the years go on I might drop to just a GS but for now I am in love

Had my R1250GSA Rallye approx 18 months from new, it was already in the dealers when i bought it so didn't realise
some things weren't on it as options. Bought in June 2021.
Would probably order next time to get the preferred options and not have to make as much changes.

I really like the MCN format of 10 things you like and 10 things you don't, so here are mine, well slightly more than 10.

A lot of the likes are often banded around, so no real suprises.

Likes compared to my old Hexhead
Looks/colour and gold wheels --- I love the look of my bike, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
Electronics riding modes --- Although i usually ride road mode to be able to change for conditions is great
Brighter lights --- Hexhead headlight was like a candle, the lights on the 1250 are 100% better.
Self cancelling indicators --- Didnt know it came with the bike, so cool when i realised, after noticing they switched off.
Quick shifter --- Clunky at first, but didnt take long to get it to shift smoothly, fantastic.
Cruise control --- Never had it before and on longer trips is a god send
Suspension --- Love the Low, High or Auto options, with auto the damping changes to your riding mode options.
Steering damper --- Fitted as standard, always wanted one on my Hexhead but never saw an elegant option
Cornering ABS --- Confidence inspiring braking
More power, easier to ride --- The bike seems efforless to ride, cornering seems easier and the power delivery is perfect for me.

Dislikes and things i had to change
Rally Seat --- Rallye seat was low version and rock hard, as it's the rallye the bike it came with the shorter rear luggage rack and passenger cover, I had to change all of it.
Side stand was too long --- Ordered a 2nd hand one off ebay and had it shortened
No crud catcher as standard --- Parting with £18000 this should be standard on the bike
Front mudguard is too short --- The front mudguard should be designed to fully protect the engine.
Rally screen too small --- I have changed for the standard screen
Electronics/ Bluetooth --- What an utter ball ache trying to link up headsets phones and GPS total buffoonary.
Keyless ride --- Kings new clothes.... what is the point, it's not keyless because they give you a key.
Keyless fuel tank --- As above totally pointless
Heated seat --- Not an option with the Rallye and only 2 level heated grips because of it. Why????
Price --- Took me some time to come to terms with how much i had outlayed on a motorbike.
Indicator switch --- I really liked the old Hexhead style switches Why did they change that?
Front wheel Road noise --- Something that has bugged me from new only alliviated with different tyres

Is agree with the ten likes.

As to the dislikes;

Mines a TE and the seat is fine. I had a loan Rallye and didn’t like the pegs or seat.
Rack is fine, fitted Givi topbox, no complaints
Sidestand is fine imo
Crud, fully agree
Front mudguard, fully agree, the bike gets filthy. Fitted a cheapo Chinese extender, it works, definitely needed. Could be longer.
Standard screen is ok.
Electronics & Bluetooth. It’s utterly terrible and they should be totally ashamed of themselves. It should be easy but it’s truly appalling. Better not to bother and direct connect phone & helmets.
Keyless ride is great, except some Twat at the insurance decreed that I have to use a disc lock, so I have to get the keys out, and I have to take my gloves off.
Keyless fuel. Key stays in Pocket, great. Worth extra price? Don’t know, but I prefer it.
Heated seat? Don’t know, never tried, like it in the car. I used to commute 70 odd miles on a PanEuro years ago, didn’t need it then, but I’m older now..
Price. Yep, effin expensive, so much so that the stupid stuff (electronics & Bluetooth, and road noise) really should not be the problem they are.
Indicator switch. It’s fine. Like the self cancel option, like the fact that I can see the indicators and the warning light, unlike my Guzzi
Road noise. WTF were they thinking? It’s awful. Changing tyres helped, changing helmets has helped more (I got a flip front Shoei, I think the hole underneath is smaller so less noise gets in).

Other hate - shitty pissy undercapacity battery.

Is agree with the ten likes.

As to the dislikes;

Mines a TE and the seat is fine. I had a loan Rallye and didn’t like the pegs or seat.
Rack is fine, fitted Givi topbox, no complaints
Sidestand is fine imo
Crud, fully agree
Front mudguard, fully agree, the bike gets filthy. Fitted a cheapo Chinese extender, it works, definitely needed. Could be longer.
Standard screen is ok.
Electronics & Bluetooth. It’s utterly terrible and they should be totally ashamed of themselves. It should be easy but it’s truly appalling. Better not to bother and direct connect phone & helmets.
Keyless ride is great, except some Twat at the insurance decreed that I have to use a disc lock, so I have to get the keys out, and I have to take my gloves off.
Keyless fuel. Key stays in Pocket, great. Worth extra price? Don’t know, but I prefer it.
Heated seat? Don’t know, never tried, like it in the car. I used to commute 70 odd miles on a PanEuro years ago, didn’t need it then, but I’m older now..
Price. Yep, effin expensive, so much so that the stupid stuff (electronics & Bluetooth, and road noise) really should not be the problem they are.
Indicator switch. It’s fine. Like the self cancel option, like the fact that I can see the indicators and the warning light, unlike my Guzzi
Road noise. WTF were they thinking? It’s awful. Changing tyres helped, changing helmets has helped more (I got a flip front Shoei, I think the hole underneath is smaller so less noise gets in).

Other hate - shitty pissy undercapacity battery.

I removed my tracker so no worries with the battery.

I forgot to add to the likes: -
30 litre tank ---- Its been said many times that the bike is big and heavy (mainly heavy) but the bigger tank is probably more a psychological thing.
My take is that it's a good feeling after filling up that you no longer need to worry about finding a fuel station for another 300 miles.

Also I dont notice the bike being any different with either a full or empty tank whilst riding, perhaps when manually moving the bike.

I forgot a dislike.

Squeaky “scared rodent” horn.

I fitted a second hand BMW low tone car horn, which was great til it stopped working, then bought a new aftermarket horn, ditto, and now I’m back to the squeak.

I’ve heard bad things about Denali, and they’re stupid money, so not going there. Might fit a relay and some Fiamm horns.

Though with the current standard of driving, a couple of sidewinders might be more reassuring.

I forgot a dislike.

Squeaky “scared rodent” horn.

I fitted a second hand BMW low tone car horn, which was great til it stopped working, then bought a new aftermarket horn, ditto, and now I’m back to the squeak.

I’ve heard bad things about Denali, and they’re stupid money, so not going there. Might fit a relay and some Fiamm horns.

Though with the current standard of driving, a couple of sidewinders might be more reassuring.

The horn has been sh*t on all 3 of my LC GSs' I've got a hex ezecan and have left the original horn in place and added a denali sound bomb mini plus on of the low pitch BMW car horns off fleebay. A bit excessive I know but it certainly has the desired effect on the very rare occasion I've had to us it.

The bikes are great, but the current dealer network reports of poor service and shoddy workmanship can push people onto other bikes.

At their current price point, they should be better.

Shaft drive sells bikes though...

Nothing against the GS's but that's why I bought an S10 cheaper and maybe, just maybe a bit more repairable in far flung lands?

Interesting read this. I’ve had 4 GS’s, and an RT between 2010 and 2019. All fantastic bikes. BUT…… each subsequent bike was of poorer quality than the previous one.
I also found the back up in Europe was shockingly bad. Resulting in my March 2019 bike, with about 2k on it breaking down in Austria in May 2019. They recovered it by using a hiab to lift it by the handle bars and pannier frames and took it away. 3 days later they still didn’t know what was happening with it.
After repeated calls to Allianz who just kept telling me they had to wait for the engineers report I went to the dealer in Innsbruck to be told they couldn’t deal with it because even though it was delivered there, no one at BMW had told them why it had been sent there.
I explained the problem , they plugged it in and checked it out.
It turned out to be a false low fuel pressure warning, so it didn’t need to be recovered anyway. He swapped something on the bike and off I went ( in the car)
At 14.00 hrs the next day it was delivered back to me.
So, 4 days lost, which isn’t a terrible thing, but what is appalling is the poor attitude of Allianz staff who had no intention of doing anything to sort out the situation.

After saying that, if BMW could build to a good quality again, I’d have another one.

Back
Top Bottom